New to cycling, and looking to buy a bike

ballistic

Apr 9, 2010
I'm new to cycling, but I don't want to dive in with a lame bike. I'm looking for a nice, comfortable bike that'll last me several years. My mom and some relatives are really into biking, and one of my cousins competes. My original budget was $500-600, but nothing in that price range has really grabbed me. I'm 6'5'', so finding a frame for my height has been akin to finding a B&M store that carries size 14 shoes. I'm somewhat willing to spend up to $1000 for a really amazing bike.

At the Trek store today, I rode a 20" 7.6 FX. I really like the 7.6 FX, especially with its carbon fork. My mom has an '09 7.6 FX WSD. It's super smooth and shifts nicely, and it's reasonably lightweight. I then rode a 22.5" 7.5 FX, which wasn't as comfortable, but still a nice bike. It shifted hard, but it probably just needed tuned up after so many test rides.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a Cannondale reseller that's near my school. I'm interested in the Quick series, namely the 3, 4, and 5. I really like the Quick 3's grey color.

I've looked at some Specalized offerings, but I'm not too impressed. Also, I'm feeling that I want flat handlebars, even though no one has handlebars that really fit the large width of my hands; it'd be nice if I didn't have to always have shifters under my thumbs and such.

Any recommendations? Advice? Long-term experience with the 7.6 FX?

What are some good ways to haggle down prices or to get accessories thrown in?

fx 7.6 is a great bike if you want better components look at the Giant rapid 0 it cost less but it gives you more bang for your buck.

I did see the Rapid 0, and it seems very promising, but where does it cost less than the 7.6 FX?

don't go by internet pricing you can pick up the giant rapid 0 for around 1,100 shop around.

The Trek store has the 7.6 FX for $1099. But that only makes the Rapid 0 look better, yes?

the rapid is a faster bike you get mavic race wheels shimano 105 and its lighter than the trek 7.6 visit your local bike shop and take one out for a ride. If you do decide to buy the rapid i would talk to the bike shop about trading in the FSA crankset for a shimano 105 if you do that you will be set for years.

I'm stopping by a Giant reseller after class today. Any idea if the Rapid 0 is as comfortable and smooth as the 7.6 FX, which has a vibration dampening system (which is very noticeable over the lower models).

Also, I really should have a 60-61cm frame. The Rapid 0's largest size is 58.5cm.

I've called around, and no one stocks the Rapid 0. Just the Rapid 3. So what am I supposed to do? Places have told me that I have to promise to buy the bike for them to order one in.

ballistic said:
I've called around, and no one stocks the Rapid 0. Just the Rapid 3. So what am I supposed to do? Places have told me that I have to promise to buy the bike for them to order one in.

Personally, I would not buy a bike without riding it, or one just like it.

If the bike shops won't stock the Rapid 0, then it would tend to make me think they don't think they can sell them...

Which leaves me in a rough position. I don't want to buy the 7.6 FX without trying the Rapid 0 first, but I see no way to try one.

ballistic said:
Which leaves me in a rough position. I don't want to buy the 7.6 FX without trying the Rapid 0 first, but I see no way to try one.

Yeah, that does pose a problem. Don't you think it's odd that none of the bike shops have a Rapid 0?

Have any of them given any reason(s) for not stocking them?

I've only been able to ask two. I'm assuming they don't expect to be able to sell them within a desired time frame, or that their potential customers aren't looking to spend $1k on a bike.

I guess I have to ask them again if they can have Giant send them one for me to try.

Shops don't carry any bikes in a 61-60 most only order a few in this size. Bike shops in NYC carry the rapid 0 because they have no problem finding people that will spend 1,000 on a bike. If your a smaller mom and pop bike shop in a small town where most people will not spend more that $500 why would you stock a 1,000 bike. I agree you shouldn't buy a bike with out trying it. I got a chance to test ride the rapid 0 and its fast light and looks very nice and if your comparing it to the FX 7.6 on paper the rapid 0 beats it hands down.

On paper, yes. I like the value of the Rapid 0 with its Shimano 105 components. But is it really bumpy going over bumps? That's the main thing I like about the 7.6 FX. It seems to halve the vibration of bumps.

the rapid 0 has a carbon fork and carbon seat post thats whats going to stop the vibrations on the road. If you like the 7.6 i think thats the way you should go. Buy the trek and be happy but if you want to compare you have to compare Component Vs Component and go with what ever makes you happy.

I know the 7.6 FX has a carbon fork, but the Rapid 0 lists an "ADVANCED-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer." Is that supposed to be carbon also?

But the Trek also has a vibration dampening feature, which I'm guessing is the main reason why it feels better going over bumps.

This is what giant says about Advanced Composite Technology

Advanced Composite Technology helps produce the lightest, stiffest and most ride-tuned bicycles on and off the road.

Advanced Composite Technology was developed to achieve the ultimate balance between the three things performance-minded riders hold in the highest regard: stiffness, light weight and ride quality. It's a difficult task to keep these three elements in perfect harmony. Get it wrong and you'll end up with a bike that's too flexy, too harsh or too heavy. Get the balance right, and you'll have a bike that accelerates like a missile, efficiently transfers energy and soaks up performance-robbing vibration for all-day comfort.

What makes Advanced Composite Technology stand out from the other "me too" composite technologies currently on the market is that Giant -and Giant alone- controls the entire process start to finish, from the countless field-testing hours to the meticulous engineering conducted by Giant's own engineering staff to the hand lay-up of composite frames at the Giant C-Tech factory. Giant is proud that it can pass Advanced Composite Technology on to the rider who demands a lighter, laterally stiffer and more vertically compliant ride from their bicycle. It's these improvements that enable Giant to craft the bestperforming road and mountain composite bicycles.

Advanced Composite Technology's superior performance begins with bare carbon thread and ends in an entirely handmade frame constructed of strategically layered, Uni-Directional (UD) carbon

Is there any possibility that you could widen your search area so you could test ride the Rapid? I know that might require a lengthy drive, which would be a pain, but it might be a way to make the best choice.

It sounds to me like jagonz believes that the Rapid 0 is the better choice, at the very least because of the way it is equiped ( Shimano - Mavic ), and more importantly because he got to ride one and liked it. Those are very good reasons.

I haven't ridden either one.

I do have a 25 year old Cannondale that is equiped with the original Shimano 105 components ( only the chain and cassette have been replaced - several times due to wear ), I liked the 105 stuff when it was brand new and after 25 years, and thousands of miles later, I still love the feel and accuracy of the 105 components.

Both of the bikes you are considering are good bikes and the Rapid might be better, but only if you like the way it rides better.

The only way to know for sure is to ride the bike. Otherwise, it's a roll of the dice....with your money.

Edited to add: While I was slowly typing out my post, jagonz replied with a post about Giant's build technology which is definitely worth consideration.