New to cycling with basic (faq) questions...

HotRod007

Feb 12, 2012
Ive been doing tons of research online, visited lbs, read thru many threads and talked with buddies who have more experience. I started my search thinking a hybrid would be the right type of bike for me, but now i KNOW a road bike is what ive been looking for... unfortunately my budget (600-700) limits me to considerring entry-level bikes, my LBS carries Giant and Specialized brands primarily, i rode a DEFY model and thought it was awesome. Comfortable, fast, good fit etc. Budget is specific to the cost of the bike, accessories, helmet, shorts etc will come from other funds. Now, my question is, by going with an entry-level bike like this, what would i be giving up, or losing, opposed to what i could get with a budget that stretches over $1000? I plan to commute to work (15 miles each way), exercise, ride with friends and local clubs on weekends at some point. I would like to work my way to longer distances as i get stronger and become more comfortable on the road so i want a bike that would allow me grow in those terms. Are those realistic goals for a entry-level road bike? Or am i setting myself up for disappointment later down the road? (No pun intended).... Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

HotRod007 said:
Ive been doing tons of research online, visited lbs, read thru many threads and talked with buddies who have more experience. I started my search thinking a hybrid would be the right type of bike for me, but now i KNOW a road bike is what ive been looking for... unfortunately my budget (600-700) limits me to considerring entry-level bikes, my LBS carries Giant and Specialized brands primarily, i rode a DEFY model and thought it was awesome. Comfortable, fast, good fit etc. Budget is specific to the cost of the bike, accessories, helmet, shorts etc will come from other funds. Now, my question is, by going with an entry-level bike like this, what would i be giving up, or losing, opposed to what i could get with a budget that stretches over $1000? I plan to commute to work (15 miles each way), exercise, ride with friends and local clubs on weekends at some point. I would like to work my way to longer distances as i get stronger and become more comfortable on the road so i want a bike that would allow me grow in those terms. Are those realistic goals for a entry-level road bike? Or am i setting myself up for disappointment later down the road? (No pun intended).... Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
First, you'd have to define how far that budget stretches over $1000. In terms of what you give up when buying an entry level bike, there is no absolute answer. What is given up will depend on the manufacture. Spending more will likely get you a bike that weighs a little bit less than more expensive bikes (I'm comparing bikes, here, within a given brand). Bikes costing in the range of $600 -$700 might have fewer gears. For instance, the bike might be a 9 speed (i.e., there are nine gears on the back wheel) instead of the more common 10 speed (or if you're buying a bike with Campagnolo parts, 11 speed). The entry level bike will also likely have lower spec wheels that, like before, weigh a bit more than wheels on more expensive bikes. A less expensive bike just might have pedals with cages as opposed to clipless pedals. The list could go on, but I'll bet you get the idea. Given the current state of bicycle technology, even a $600-$700 bike will perform very well.

Thanks for the reply. Now, I'm assuming that if i wanted to, in the future i could make modifications to the bike for some of the items u mentioned. Maybe get lighter, higher quality wheels, better pedals etc. Am i correct in that assumption? If so, i feel my goal of having a bike that'll allow me to grow would be achieved with a bike like this one. Thanks again, i feel I'm on the right track. I'm sure ill learn plenty more as i go. I'm looking forward to the lessons to come... Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk