new uni rider

cheechee

Aug 2, 2004
I'm the new guy. I'm 48yrs.young,and have been a cyclist and multisport racer for many years.With three small children the racing is just about over.I currently ride alot of road, some mountian,and fixed gear all winter.I am also a juggler of about 4yrs.I recently recovered a 20in. uni out of the garbage and after trueing up the wheel decided to learn it.This web site has been most helpful.I started in a narrow hallway at work and now 2 wks later I'm outside using upsidedown golf irons to stay upright.The club heads act as handles and the grips never slip on the ground.I can ride 20 feet or so until I have to use one of my crutches.The quad burn is amazing and I HOPE IT GETS BETTER.I recently picked up a 24in. schwinn for 45$ out of the want ads. Its harder to get going but much more comfortable than the 20in. The schwinn is alittle flexy so I added a hose clamp at the bottom of the seatpost before it flares into the forks,this has helped greatly.I can practice at work because its a large facility and I run it alone for 12hrs,3 days a week.When all this gets easier I plan on buying a 28" to do some distance riding.I will update my progress as the wheel turns. thanx

[Nice work! It really is fun to be able to ride a uni since hardly anyone else can do it. Keep us up to date for sure. I was working on going backward yesterday. Couldn't get past 3 pedal strokes but better than nothing.

bike4miles2 said:
[Nice work! It really is fun to be able to ride a uni since hardly anyone else can do it. Keep us up to date for sure. I was working on going backward yesterday. Couldn't get past 3 pedal strokes but better than nothing.
I never got the 28in..I did get a 26in. yuni journeyman instead.I got the 26 because there are limitless tires available for it .It came with a tall kenda tire thats bigger around than most 28in. street tires. The viscount seat that came with it is ok ,however I took my old schwinn seat that I air converted and have been using that.I can ride a mile or so without stopping.The stock 150mm cranks were good for learning and control, but I wanted alittle more speed.I recently installed 125s and like the feel better.Freemounting is slightly harder but that will change with more riding.I still ride the same hills by spinning faster,and the suppossed loss of control is unnoticible.Next I will get a high pressure tire as most of my riding is street.The stock kenda tire says 45psi max,but I've had it at 65psi from day one.I hope to ride the neighborhood with a Santa cap on Christmas day!I will also be starting to learn backwards indoors on a 20in. when it gets to cold out.