New wheelset

The new Campag Khamsin are available for approx AUD $299. I haven't personally riden them however I do have the scirocco's which have the same G3 spoke pattern and they are solid. The Khamsin's weigh approx 1800grams so are reasonably light for a training wheel. Can also recommend going to Tom Wallace Cycles in Lutwyche and speak to been. He built my last set of wheels which were Deep V's with Ultegra hubs with bladed spokes and they were AUD $500. He's a good bloke and very knowledgeable.

CAD2 said:
G'day Guys,
just a question on a new wheelset. I'm considering buying a new shimano R550 wheelset for around $280 delivered (Brisbane, Aust) for my wife as training wheels.
Do you believe this to be a good value or can you recommend something else around the $300 mark.

Thanks for any replies.
The shimano R550 wheels should do well as training wheels. My partner has been riding hers for 3.5 years now. Broke one spoke on the brilliant bikepath near Toowong and wheel buckled so bad it couldn't be ridden. New spoke and wheel trued up well and have been fine since.

If you are looking for a good wheel builder in Brisbane. Go into Brisbane Bicycle Sales and Hire and see Ben. I worked in the bike industry for three years and have lost count of the number of wheels I have built, however I will be getting Ben to build my new roadie wheelset up for me.

I would just chime in with the cost of custom wheels here in Oz. Priced up a set of Mavic Open Pro, Hugi 240, DT spokes, rim tape and labour, it's running up to $1800! It's pretty crazy.

sogood said:
I would just chime in with the cost of custom wheels here in Oz. Priced up a set of Mavic Open Pro, Hugi 240, DT spokes, rim tape and labour, it's running up to $1800! It's pretty crazy.
Holy ****! To hell with smuggling drugs. I need to start smuggling bike parts into Australia. And if you get cauight, what are they going to do? Give you a booting?

Bro Deal said:
Holy ****! To hell with smuggling drugs. I need to start smuggling bike parts into Australia. And if you get cauight, what are they going to do? Give you a booting?
Holy ****, indeed!! I just recently priced out the same wheelset except with White Ind. H-1 hubs (which usually are at slight premium over the 240s) for considerably less than half that amount here in the US (taking a 0.7654 AU$/US$ rate)

sogood said:
You are absolutely right. I turned it down for obvious reason. ;)
Ask dirtworks for wheels. Find wheelcraft. They are custom/factory wheels. They are what I (was) roll on in a race and come flawless. Good value too for 240/340 hubs (I did get a discount). Careful with the RR1.1 rims though, I have just had an eyelet pull.

Get your hubs and spokes OS. Rims in Aust.

I have priced a new wheelset with Ultegra Hubs, DT Swiss RR1.1 rims and DT Swiss Revolution spokes for under $600 built. If I was to build them myself I could do it for around $500.

Can anyone suggest a better/different rim? These will be a race wheel set and both will be 32 spoke.

Paulie-AU said:
Get your hubs and spokes OS. Rims in Aust.

I have priced a new wheelset with Ultegra Hubs, DT Swiss RR1.1 rims and DT Swiss Revolution spokes for under $600 built. If I was to build them myself I could do it for around $500.

Can anyone suggest a better/different rim? These will be a race wheel set and both will be 32 spoke.
I can vouch for the RR1.1 rims, they're stiff and strong. I have the DT-Swiss 1450 wheelset, handbuilt in Sydney...sooo niiice.

Walrus said:
I can vouch for the RR1.1 rims, they're stiff and strong. I have the DT-Swiss 1450 wheelset, handbuilt in Sydney...sooo niiice.
Sadly due to a recent experience, I can't. My RR1.1 front rim had an eyelet pull through. I was recommended to send both wheels back to Dirtworks. The new RR1.1 rims are around 470g each with double eyelets. That is justt a little heavy for racing rims. Love the hubs though.