Newb questions about fitness cycling

dregress

Jun 12, 2007
Hi, I'm new to cycling (for fitness, anyway). I'm interested in cycling for weight loss and general fun. I'm confused about one issue though: if I want to bike for fitness, do I need a road bike or can I use a comfort or hybrid? I've read descriptions of different bike types, but they don't seem to specify which is better (if one is) for fitness. Thanks in advance for any advice.

-dregress

For serious fitness and a degree of comfort, a Flat Bar Road Bike is the go.

In Aus, Giant CRX,
In USA, Giant FCR,
Or Similar.... ;)

gclark8 said:
For serious fitness and a degree of comfort, a Flat Bar Road Bike is the go.
Flat bar would only be comfortable up to a certain distance. For longer distance rides (>50km), a drop bar or other bars that offer multiple hand positions would be much better.

dregress said:
I'm interested in cycling for weight loss and general fun.
-dregress
All bikes are fun; any cycling will help weight loss; going fast is more fun than going slowly. Therefore your choices are not restricted to road bikes. In fact, for pure weight loss, a mountain bike with knobbly tyres that are under-pressured is best, as it requires the most effort! However, this would lose out on the "fun" score. I wouldn't recommend an expensive road bike to start cycling - instead I'd go for a hybrid with sensible tyres, perhaps (good quality) front suspension if you'll be taking it anywhere other than the road and bar ends for alternative hand positions.
Road bikes are built for one thing - speed. This means lightweight components, making the bikes expensive and fragile (comparatively). So, try out a hybrid (perhaps get one second-hand) and work out the limitations of cycling road bikes - often uncomfortable for new riders, can't be taken off-road, can't cope with pot-holes or wet drain covers, can't carry luggage, wheels buckle really easily etc., then if you want a road bike, get one after you've had a couple of months on a slower bike.