Complete newb needs road advice

Shoeship

May 21, 2007
Hello,

I am completely new to the world of biking (well, relatively - used to bike all the time as a kid) but determined to buy a bike, get the necessary equipment, and go for a month long trip through southern BC, starting in about two or three weeks.

I am reading up on bike maintenance, will be taking a course, sorting out other things - but basically what I'm wondering is: what kind of bike should I buy? As I want the bike to eventually be a commuter bike after this is all done, I don't want a road bike. And, seeing as how I don't want to bike 800 kilometres on a mountain bike, I think through elimination it needs to be a hybrid.

I know you can't suggest a specific bike (can you??) but what other sorts of considerations should I be thinking of? Can a hybrid ride comfortably on gravel roads? Should I be thinking about special tires? Am I insane?

Okay, thanks. Really, anything anyone wants to say will help me out.

Peace

Shoeship said:
Hello,

I am completely new to the world of biking (well, relatively - used to bike all the time as a kid) but determined to buy a bike, get the necessary equipment, and go for a month long trip through southern BC, starting in about two or three weeks.

... As I want the bike to eventually be a commuter bike after this is all done, I don't want a road bike. And, seeing as how I don't want to bike 800 kilometres on a mountain bike, I think through elimination it needs to be a hybrid.

I know you can't suggest a specific bike (can you??) but what other sorts of considerations should I be thinking of? Can a hybrid ride comfortably on gravel roads? Should I be thinking about special tires? Am I insane?

Okay, thanks. Really, anything anyone wants to say will help me out.

Peace
You're not insane, and I tip my helmet to you for the tour you're planning. A commuter bike is usually just a touring bike with puncture-resistant tires and often without drop handlebars. It the wheels probably won't hold up to rough roads and heavy loads. Then a hybrid bike is a mountain bike with skinnier tires, something I wouldn't want to cover 50 miles a day on.

A road bike equipped with heavy duty wheels and fatter tires can certainly handle gravel roads. When I raced one type of training ride my friends and I enjoyed was get lost on dirt roads in the hills of Vermont and western Massachusetts, on tubular tires. Then, another friend of mine road a Peugot UO-8 up the hiking trail on Mt. Holyoke. He had to portage the steeper, rockier sections.

In my opinion you need a touring bike. Built like a road racing bike with more relaxed angles and clearances for fatter tires and fenders. Equipped with triple chainrings and lower gear ratios, platform pedals that can take toeclips, eylets for fenders and racks, and rugged wheels for carrying loads on all manner of surface. Unfortunately, this kind of bike used to be more common in the days of the first bike boom. Fortunately, Trek makes the 520, one of the most beatiful bikes for full-bore touring. Then after your tour you can commute on it or do whatever you want.

oldbobcat said:
... A road bike equipped with heavy duty wheels and fatter tires can certainly handle gravel roads. ...

In my opinion you need a touring bike. Built like a road racing bike with more relaxed angles and clearances for fatter tires and fenders. Equipped with triple chainrings and lower gear ratios, platform pedals that can take toeclips, eylets for fenders and racks, and rugged wheels for carrying loads on all manner of surface. Unfortunately, this kind of bike used to be more common in the days of the first bike boom. Fortunately, Trek makes the 520, one of the most beatiful bikes for full-bore touring. Then after your tour you can commute on it or do whatever you want.

How much will a touring bike cost me? I was under the impression that the pay rate (in ascending order) goes mountain, hybrid, road, touring - but I may be wrong. I'm looking to spend under $1500 (preferably under $1200 or under $1000) for the bike and all the equipment.

Also, I definitely don't want to do 100k a day on a mountain bike. But I heard hybrids, with skinnier wheels, are significantly easier to pedal - but are they? Are they closer to a mountain bike or a road bike in their resistance? I mean, how much easier is it to pedal a touring bike than a road-biased hybrid on flat road?

Oh, and by the way - thanks! This is just the kind of conversation I need to have, so really thanks a lot.

Shoeship said:
How much will a touring bike cost me? I was under the impression that the pay rate (in ascending order) goes mountain, hybrid, road, touring - but I may be wrong. I'm looking to spend under $1500 (preferably under $1200 or under $1000) for the bike and all the equipment.
Check out the reviews at this link:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/touring-bike/trek/PRD_291208_5675crx.aspx#reviews

Looks like people are getting the 520 for $1100-1200 in the US, and they're pretty happy with it as a commuter, too.

And oh jesus, I just remembered - I live in edmonton. I want to be able to ride in the winter, which as far as I know means getting fat studded tires. Is this possible with a touring bike?

Shoeship said:
And oh jesus, I just remembered - I live in edmonton. I want to be able to ride in the winter, which as far as I know means getting fat studded tires. Is this possible with a touring bike?
Check this link:
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=IKTWS&buttonAction=ci_IKTWS&tn=0
You want the 700c size. The 35mm width might be a snug fit under fenders, but you should run without fenders in winter because ice buildup will bring you to a dead stop. Fenders will be a liability in summer, too, if you plan to go in mud. Just get dirty and wash at your destination.