Newbie Clothing Questions

was7g

May 11, 2006
All; recently bought a LeMond Croix de Fer as my first road bike, and am loving it. My rear end is not- I know that I'm going to take a little while to get used to the saddle, and that I need some padded shorts- I actually have some, but they're cheap MTB shorts and the padding is a little light.

Anyway, after reading these forums, I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip shorts and go straight to a bib, but I'm unsure of the size- are the sizes listed on the tags pretty accurate? (I'm 5'9", 170 lbs., 34" waist... I suppose that I should wear a medium for most manufacturers?) Should I upsize?

Second, I'm interested in a jersey- and I'm not sure the difference between a regular jersey and so-called "loose fitting" jerseys. Are the "loose" jerseys equivalent to wearing a t-shirt (what I currently do)? If I'm interested in a slightly looser fit, should I get a normal jersey and upsize from the medium that most manufacturers say I should wear (based on 39" chest), or just get a loose jersey? Does anyone have a favorite brand?

Thanks to all- these forums have been a big help in getting me up to speed on the sport.

was7g said:
All; recently bought a LeMond Croix de Fer as my first road bike, and am loving it. My rear end is not- I know that I'm going to take a little while to get used to the saddle, and that I need some padded shorts- I actually have some, but they're cheap MTB shorts and the padding is a little light.

Anyway, after reading these forums, I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip shorts and go straight to a bib, but I'm unsure of the size- are the sizes listed on the tags pretty accurate? (I'm 5'9", 170 lbs., 34" waist... I suppose that I should wear a medium for most manufacturers?) Should I upsize?

Second, I'm interested in a jersey- and I'm not sure the difference between a regular jersey and so-called "loose fitting" jerseys. Are the "loose" jerseys equivalent to wearing a t-shirt (what I currently do)? If I'm interested in a slightly looser fit, should I get a normal jersey and upsize from the medium that most manufacturers say I should wear (based on 39" chest), or just get a loose jersey? Does anyone have a favorite brand?

Thanks to all- these forums have been a big help in getting me up to speed on the sport.
There are three things that contact your bike:

1. Your hands
2. Your butt
3. Your feet

For the most comfortable cycling, get:

1. Any cycling specific gloves - if nothing else, they protect your hands if you crash.
2. The best shorts you can afford. Bibs are nice, but you will love your first pair of shorts. Your butt will thank you.
3. Even the low end cycling shoes have stiff soles which are a huge improvement over any other non-cycling specific shoes. Get some cycling shoes and go clipless as soon as you can.

Fancy cycling shirts are really nice, but shorts are much more important. I still wear regular t-shirts all the time. Get optic yellow or flame orange if you can and make yourself visible to motorists. A good light weight cycling jacket with zippered pit vents is much more worth the money than a $60 cycling jersey and you'll get a lot more use out of it.

I like Pearl Izumi soft goods. They are expensive, but worth it. As with all high tech clothing, wash like this ..... Machine wash in cold water and drip dry overnight. Don't put anything in a dryer and it will last a long, long time. I don't care what the labels say, I wash everything like this (for many years) and this method has served me well for all of that time. I have many of my first cycling clothing purchases still serving me well. Don't forget to throw your gloves in with the rest of your cycling wear.

Enjoy your rides!

Sizing: two options US and Euro. Euro stuff runs a size larger. Ie; a Euro Large bib is really a US Medium. Bibs are more often sized for height. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and 32 waist and a US medium/Euro large is my size.

As far as the jersey goes, while a tight fitting one may feel awkward at first, it is going to be more comfy in the long run if you do any serious mileage.

My .02, get a bib short with a decent pad, not a cheap flat pad. it's well worth it to upgrade a bit in that area because if your butt ain't feeling right you're toasted.

was7g said:

Congrats on the new road bike, but be warned, cycling will empty your wallet!

If you're buying shorts/bibs in a store, you will try them on and find one that fits, you wouldn't upsize per say, as all manufactures sizes feel different.

I recently bought Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor 3D bibs, they're not top of the line but the chamois (padding) makes the bum feel very nice.

Get a jersey that's comfortable and has some pockets in the rear to store things (food, keys, phone, spare tube, etc.). Don't waste much money here, the other things are more important.

noonievut said:
Get a jersey that's comfortable and has some pockets in the rear to store things (food, keys, phone, spare tube, etc.). Don't waste much money here, the other things are more important.
I've had pretty good luck with the Nashbar/Performance jerseys that usually go on sale for about $20. Shorts on the other hand are not a place to save a few bucks.

I have to agree with the others on shorts - bibs if possible, as nice as you can afford. As tops go, I love jerseys, but if you have a seat bag to carry essentials, you can get by with any technical fabric shirt. I have found these type of shirts at discount stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, and Kohl's for as low as $6. No, they aren't Pearl Izumis (which are nice), but they get the job done. If I'm out for a casual ride with my kids, etc. I wear one. Good luck with everything.

Made the plunge- I checked my ego at the door and stepped out of my house tonight in a new pair of Louis Garneau bibs and a jersey, and went out for a little 90 minute ride.

Wow... what a difference... don't know if the jersey made much difference (though it was nice to have pockets for my phone and keys), but good shorts are SO important! My butt is nowhere near as sore as my last hour-plus ride, when I wore MTB shorts with a thin pad.

Since I don't know any better, can anyone tell me why bibs are better than shorts? I hate to say it, but I feel a little self conscious wearing them- they kind of "lift and accentuate" um, ahem... the boys. Is that the case with all shorts?

No waistband issue and they don't slip down. Bibs are so much more comfy.

Go Wahoos.........

PartisanRanger said:
Great that you've decided to cycle in Charlottesville. Excellent roads.... Have you been on the the Nortonsville loop yet?

Which one is that? I've been doing loops out by Crozet and Whitehall... and down Red Hill Road south of town. Always looking for more routes. Thanks!

For Hot Summer days get the Performance branded made out of H2O. Silky smooth and works great, for a great price.

was7g said:

For gloves, get the specialized Body Geometry Gloves comp they have lots of nice padding and are decently priced. All Specialed BG Gloves I notice have good padding. I have the pearl Izumi Gel gloves and they are not very good, the gel padding shrinks after half a season of riding. I had some relability issues with the Pearl Izumi also.

was7g said: