Newbie Needs Advice - - Wallymart Rack bike, Mongoose XR-100, Schwin Alum. Comp, or Schwin S-30

Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
while off and on the curbs.

Just wanted to know if someone knew about which may be better...

read a t a UK site, never buy a dual sus unless it's within a pricepoint (way to high for me right
now...)....

Lots of hills..

WE have a DXR Mongoose and female version of Schwin Sidewider 2.6 and the FS is much lighter....

the price point on the SCHWINN comp and XR-100 are the same.

Then there is the S-30 for a little more.

Just need it for exersise......and so forth...

thanks

[email protected] wrote:
> read a t a UK site, never buy a dual sus unless it's within a pricepoint (way to high for me right
> now...)....

Well the thing is that the more functionality you want for a given amount of money the more corners
has to be cut when building the bike, so if you want a full suspension bike at a bargain price
chances are the frame is build from **** materials, the weldings are weak, the wheels are heavy and
so forth...

I suggest looking for a used bike instead, buy a couple of mountainbike magazines and look in the
classifieds, also reading the magazines will give you an idea of what to look for.

Finaly also remember to make room for helmet, gloves and preferably solid bike shoes - safty is not
a joke in mountainbiking!

Kind regards

Bruno

> Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
> while off and on the curbs.
>
> Just wanted to know if someone knew about which may be better...
>
> read a t a UK site, never buy a dual sus unless it's within a pricepoint (way to high for me right
> now...)....
>
> Lots of hills..
>
> WE have a DXR Mongoose and female version of Schwin Sidewider 2.6 and the FS is much lighter....
>
> the price point on the SCHWINN comp and XR-100 are the same.
>
> Then there is the S-30 for a little more.
>
> Just need it for exersise......and so forth...
>
> thanks

Go to your local bike shop and buy a rigid mtb new or used. Don't get one at a mart store.
They are toys.

Chris

> Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
> while off and on the curbs.

Just like everything else in life (with speaker cable being the possible exception), you get what
you pay for.

An advantage of a Walgoose is it will give you more exercise for the same distance traveled (vastly
heavier bike, stopping and bending over to pick up parts etc). Plus you will quickly gain a lot of
maintenance experience.

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
> while off and on the curbs.
>
> Just wanted to know if someone knew about which may be better...
>
> read a t a UK site, never buy a dual sus unless it's within a pricepoint (way to high for me right
> now...)....
>
> Lots of hills..
>
> WE have a DXR Mongoose and female version of Schwin Sidewider 2.6 and the FS is much lighter....
>
> the price point on the SCHWINN comp and XR-100 are the same.
>
> Then there is the S-30 for a little more.
>
> Just need it for exersise......and so forth...
>
> thanks

You get what you pay for and less with wallyworld bikes. Go to a reputable bike shop and get a bike
that's not going to fall apart from being crappy and/or assembled by morons.

JD

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
> while off and on the curbs.

Like the others said - get thee to a bike shop.

Buy a real bike, assembled by skilled professionals. The big-box stores just sell bike-shaped toys.

Even at $250/350, you'll be spending a lot more than you would on a **** bike, but you'll ride it a
whole lot more, and you'll probably be more safe doing it.

Good luck.

Spider

thanks..

did find bike store that has Nerve bikes..

are they any good???

seem to have Judy TT 80mm shocks too....

please advise..

thanks

On 18 Jul 2003 14:09:22 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

>"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
>> while off and on the curbs.
>
>Like the others said - get thee to a bike shop.
>
>Buy a real bike, assembled by skilled professionals. The big-box stores just sell bike-shaped toys.
>
>Even at $250/350, you'll be spending a lot more than you would on a **** bike, but you'll ride it a
>whole lot more, and you'll probably be more safe doing it.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Spider

-)...

the local bike store for me is 2 blocks away...

:)

thanks for the info..

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:17:55 GMT, "Danny Alcott" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have the S-30 and my son has the XR-100. The XR-100 is much heaver and has a very poor front fork
>but it is 1 1/8 thredless so it can be changed out. I bought the bike in the box and assembled it
>at home. I had to disassemble the hubs and grease them same for the bottom bracket and headset. If
>you are not comfortable working on the bike GO to your LBS. With any bike purchased at a Wal-Mart
>you will need to go over it and give it a good tune up and adjustment before riding or buy from
>your LBS! The Schwinn comp also has a low quality fork but a little better than the XR-100 and it
>also can be upgraded. The rear shock (if you can call it that) on the XR-100 sucks it's like riding
>a pogo stick you would be better off with the Schwinn hardtail. Both the XR-100 and the S-30 will
>have a lot of pedal bob in my opinion you would be better of with the hardtail and if you go to
>your LBS you will get a much better fit and better service. The component quality on all of these
>bikes is very low, for a few dollars more you will get much more for your money at your LBS. I am
>quite happy with my S-30 now. The weld quality was decent (I have 15 years welding experience) not
>sure if this holds true for all of the frames or if I got lucky. I have replaced every part on my
>S-30 other than the frame and crank and they will be new by next spring. I enjoy working on the
>bike as much as riding it and have bought many of the minor parts chain, cassette, cables, tires at
>my LBS (if you consider 1 1/2 hour drive local )
>
>Danny
>
><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Just looking for a bike that we will ride around town, hill paved roads, and some bumps once in a
>> while off and on the curbs.
>>
>> Just wanted to know if someone knew about which may be better...
>>
>> read a t a UK site, never buy a dual sus unless it's within a pricepoint (way to high for me
>> right now...)....
>>
>> Lots of hills..
>>
>> WE have a DXR Mongoose and female version of Schwin Sidewider 2.6 and the FS is much lighter....
>>
>> the price point on the SCHWINN comp and XR-100 are the same.
>>
>> Then there is the S-30 for a little more.
>>
>> Just need it for exersise......and so forth...
>>
>> thanks

I went into to a local bike shop and saw a Nerve...interested, I went online to discover they are in
California...

Now here's what is weird (unless they make poopy bikes)..

My idea was to buy a Schwinn, (wally) $149, aluminium comp...upgrade the shifter to EZ thumb ($45)
and maybe Judy Schok TT (only due to reading there pretty cool ($98)..

Now I found on the Nerve website, a XTH-1, 20" bike, hardtail, Judy TT, and rapid fire
shifters...all for $209.00. How can this be...

Are they not good bikes? Certainly it must be a better bike the a Wally Schwinn right??

Please explain..

the also have a $239 and $299 model.

thanks again...

[email protected] wrote:

> Now I found on the Nerve website, a XTH-1, 20" bike, hardtail, Judy TT, and rapid fire
> shifters...all for $209.00. How can this be...

Because spare parts cost a lot more in shops than when bike companies pay for them when they buy
them in truck loads.

> Are they not good bikes? Certainly it must be a better bike the a Wally Schwinn right??

Well the better equipment does indicate that it may be a better package, but they are still very
cheap and to me that is an alarm sign. Also I have not been able to find any info on them anywhere,
and in general I don't recommend buying a bike if you can't find a review of it anywhere.

On the other hand I just payed $120 or so for a handle bar, so our requirements seems to
differ somewhat.

I still recommend you get a second hand bike, some guys change bike every other year and there is
great bargains to be found on used bikes.

Kind regards

Bruno

PS. www.mtbr.com is a good place to find reviews on bikes and equipment.

iddqdATworldonline.dk wrote:

> I still recommend you get a second hand bike, some guys change bike every other year and there is
> great bargains to be found on used bikes.

Buying second hand is fine if you know what you're looking for, but if you're new to the sport, you
can make some horrendous mistakes.

> PS. www.mtbr.com is a good place to find reviews on bikes and equipment.

Again, you have to know what you're looking for. You often have to sift through a lot of **** to
find out any decent information.

Buddy on your Budget. there should be a nice Giant in your price range.. good all round Value
and quality.

Dont be a mug