Newbie needs some help deciding

o1f42

May 16, 2005
i'm new to the site and biking in general. i used to ride bmx some, but now i'm interested in getting a nice road bike. i've been looking around ebay and found a cannondale Team Comp Aluminum Road Bike, but it doesn't have a year listed on it. it says it is aluminum and 63 cm and the stand over height is 33 1/2 in. i measured myself and got 35 inches. i'm about 6'2. it looks like i could get it for around $200 and its pretty close to me so i could go pick it up. i was wondering if this would be a good starter bike.:confused: let me know and i can pm a link to the auction if you want to check it out.

thanks
Owen

What are you looking for in a road bike, and how much do you want to spend?

How good are the roads you plan to travel? Planning to race? Want to run errands like picking up groceries while you're out?

FatherBob said:
What are you looking for in a road bike, and how much do you want to spend?

How good are the roads you plan to travel? Planning to race? Want to run errands like picking up groceries while you're out?
I'm just looking for something i can ride on an almost daily basis to get in shape. Hit up the back roads after work. I don't think i'll be running errands on it. No real intrest in racing, although i might find some people to ride with, my roomate is looking into getting one also. i'm not looking to spend much more than $300, maybe if i get a bike and find out that I want to do it more i'll get somthing nicer.

I'd definitely take a look around in your local bike shop at some new offerings.

I know in my local bike shop, they sell brand new Trek bikes at prices a bit higher than the retail prices I see listed on the Trek website, and still have quite a few really nice bikes suitable for general recreational use in the $300 price range.

Another question I didn't think to ask before was what distances you have in mind.

There's a whole class of bikes designed for comfortable riding for people who will primarily ride them shorter distances, such as around 10 miles or less. These often include shock absorbers built into the bike seat mount, etc. They even look slick. And since they're new, they feature limited lifetime warranties.

Having said that, however, if you can find a decent deal on a bike you like used and in good condition for quite a bit less, then feel free to go for it.

Since you seem most interested in riding for recreation and fitness than for some specific aim (such as racing, touring, or scaling mountains, for example), the type of bike is probably less important than making sure the bike is the right size for you.

I've been riding a friend's spare bike for a while now, but it's got a 21" frame. I'm a tall guy (6'3"), so while I'm able to ride his bike and get decent exercise from it, a 26" bike frame is a better fit for me.

If you can hop on a few bikes before buying one, you might find out a few preferences. Some bikes feature flat handlebars, and others have curved handebars. For recreational riding, I vastly prefer flat handlebars. You might prefer one style over the other.

It looks like you may be able to actually try out the bike you're looking at before buying it, if I read your original post correctly. If so, that may provide all your answers. Upon close inspection, you might actually get a really good or really bad feeling about the whole deal.

You'll find, especially on a road bike where you might routinely do 20-50 miles, fit is very very IMPORTANT... I'd recommend you at least spend some time using online fit calculators to zero in on a size (I have a 35" inseam and ride a 59 or 60 typically), or if thinking of buying new go to a LBS and get fit by a fitting tech. And in general, I'd stay away from a bike advertised w/o information like model year...seller should be able to tell you though. Good luck.