Nice win for McEwen

Robert Chung wrote:
> but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

Love to see him never win again, but I hold grudges.
Bill C

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

The CTV commentator was noting that as well, but it is fun to see McEwen
outwitting the Milram boys. Bravo!

Robert Chung wrote:
> but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

dumbass,

this year it would not have made a difference. petacchi has been
getting smoked left and right this season, esp. when he's made to work
before the sprint.

Bill C wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

> Love to see him never win again, but I hold grudges.
> Bill C

And what, pray tell, has McEwen ever done to you, to warrant holding a
grudge?

Fred.

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > Robert Chung wrote:
> > > but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

> > Love to see him never win again, but I hold grudges.
> > Bill C

> And what, pray tell, has McEwen ever done to you, to warrant holding a
> grudge?
>
> Fred.

Personally nothing, but his attitude, dangerous riding, personality,
*****ing and whining, verbakl attacks on everyone else, nothing ever
being his fault etc...make him someone I'd be happy to see be gone.
He's a great rider, but from everything public seems to have a pretty
miseable atitude.
He doesn't seem to give anyone any respect so why should we respect
him?
Bill C

Bill C wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Bill C wrote:
> > > Love to see him never win again, but I hold grudges.
> > > Bill C

> > And what, pray tell, has McEwen ever done to you, to warrant holding a
> > grudge?
> >
> > Fred.

> Personally nothing, but his attitude, dangerous riding, personality,
> *****ing and whining, verbakl attacks on everyone else, nothing ever
> being his fault etc...make him someone I'd be happy to see be gone.
> He's a great rider, but from everything public seems to have a pretty
> miseable atitude.
> He doesn't seem to give anyone any respect so why should we respect
> him?

You're a fan of "safe" sprinting? I guess that takes place somewhere
in the back of the pack. ;) You don't have to respect someone to
admire their abilities. I hope you're not looking to bike racers for
your life role models. That's sketchy at best. Kind of like forming
your political views based on what Charlie Sheen has to say on the
matter.

I don't overburden my idols. One narrowly defined area of idolization
per role model. I don't like putting all of my eggs in one basket, and
the one area per idol rule prevents major crashes when the idol does
something I don't appreciate.

RicodJour wrote:

> I don't overburden my idols. One narrowly defined area of idolization
> per role model. I don't like putting all of my eggs in one basket, and
> the one area per idol rule prevents major crashes when the idol does
> something I don't appreciate.

There are way too many good people in the world to make idol's of
assholes.
My standards are a little higher than just athletic prowess.
Zabel is worth respecting, and Udo Bolts is/was one of my favorite
riders. They earned respect, McWhiner is in the same class as Jeff
Gordon, great at what they do, do it mostly within the rules, but are
assholes.
There's a big difference between the dangers of a sprint and
stupidity, McWhiner crosses into stupidity too often for me, then
claims it was everybody elses fault but his.
If you're going to play that way, at least own it.
Bill C

amit wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

> dumbass,
>
> this year it would not have made a difference. petacchi has been
> getting smoked left and right this season, esp. when he's made to work
> before the sprint.

Dumbass -

I haven't been paying that much attention to the sprinters, but
Petacchi did win all 5 stages of that German race.

That can't happen very often, someone winning every single stage of a 5
day race.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Bill C wrote:
> There's a big difference between the dangers of a sprint and
> stupidity, McWhiner crosses into stupidity too often for me, then
> claims it was everybody elses fault but his.
> If you're going to play that way, at least own it.
> Bill C

Has he ever caused a crash?

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Bill C wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
>
> > I don't overburden my idols. One narrowly defined area of idolization
> > per role model. I don't like putting all of my eggs in one basket, and
> > the one area per idol rule prevents major crashes when the idol does
> > something I don't appreciate.

> There are way too many good people in the world to make idol's of
> assholes.
> My standards are a little higher than just athletic prowess.
> Zabel is worth respecting, and Udo Bolts is/was one of my favorite
> riders. They earned respect, McWhiner is in the same class as Jeff
> Gordon, great at what they do, do it mostly within the rules, but are
> assholes.
> There's a big difference between the dangers of a sprint and
> stupidity, McWhiner crosses into stupidity too often for me, then
> claims it was everybody elses fault but his.
> If you're going to play that way, at least own it.

Bill, the guy is a racehorse, not a role model...unless you want him to
be. You wouldn't get ****** off at a racehorse for taking a dump on
the track as long as he won. Admire him for what he's good at and
ignore the rest. Or not.

Raptor wrote:

> Has he ever caused a crash?
>
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

Not that I can find. Lots of complaints from other riders and even
teamates about him, but nothing saying HE actually caused a crash.
That's pretty amazing when you think about it.
Maybe he gets hammered a little unfairly due to his "pleasant"
personality.
Bill C

Bill C said:
[email protected] wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > Robert Chung wrote:
> > > but doesn't it feel a bit empty with Petacchi out?

> > Love to see him never win again, but I hold grudges.
> > Bill C

> And what, pray tell, has McEwen ever done to you, to warrant holding a
> grudge?
>
> Fred.

Personally nothing, but his attitude, dangerous riding, personality,
*****ing and whining, verbakl attacks on everyone else, nothing ever
being his fault etc...make him someone I'd be happy to see be gone.
He's a great rider, but from everything public seems to have a pretty
miseable atitude.
He doesn't seem to give anyone any respect so why should we respect
him?
Bill C

What a bunch of rubbish. Your clearly dealing in hyperbole. Hes no worse than any others but he also doesnt deal in cliches like the rest either. Many other sprinters and riders do exactly the same. Boonen has been spouting his ability just as arrogantly as McEwen ever has. For good reason but still. Boonen also has his "malfunctions" excuse whenever he doesnt win. Petacchi, very rarely gives the full respect where its due when he loses. Only to his team, which is fine when your winning but he's full of drama when he loses. He has also been relegated for punching someone during the Giro. McEwen being pilthy and blunt seems to outweigh that sort of thuggery on a bike? please. Showing some clear bias and double standards there. But this was before "gentleman sprinter" had a palmares so nobody cared then. His whinging at the Giro last year that there was a conspiracy against him was laughable. Thats blatant *****ing right there but you choose to discount that too. Maybe coz it was McEwen dominating then? Zabel for all his class was no saint either, just ask alot of his ex teammates at TMobile. Alot were happy hes gone. McEwen has definately deserved to be relegated but has also clearly cleaned his act up in recent times. I think they are all entertaining to watch, enjoy seeing them all race and sprint in their own style. But my point is, they are all basically cut from the same cloth. All deserve your same praise and criticism.

Also you might want to clarify "everything" the public see's. Theres a whole list of things that the public see's and hears from McEwen which portray a much differant character too. Complete opposite in fact. Hes no angel but niether are the others. We are all keyboard cowboys but you seem to just selectively bring out evidence against McEwen. Apply your same "guidelines" to other sprinters and racers and youll end up disliking most if not all.

And on this current Giro it feels empty coz the sprinting field is so weak in general, even when Petacchi was there. McEwen has had Ale Jet's measure for awhile now. If anything he looks to be a bit spooked by him. Anyway McEwen should enjoy the easy pickings, like Petacchi in past Giro's and Vuelta's or Boonen at Paris Nice. Nobody seem to comment it was hollow then.

Bill C wrote:
> Raptor wrote:
>> Has he ever caused a crash?
>>
>> --
>> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

> Not that I can find. Lots of complaints from other riders and even
> teamates about him, but nothing saying HE actually caused a crash.
> That's pretty amazing when you think about it.
> Maybe he gets hammered a little unfairly due to his "pleasant"
> personality.
> Bill C

I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
(ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
ago, and Cookie crashed.

Raptor wrote:
> I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
> (ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
> ago, and Cookie crashed.

And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

Donald Munro wrote:

> And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
> recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
> resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

Dumbass -

Unlike that *****, Bill C., I like it when sprinters walk the edge in
the pursuit of their craft.

Abdujaporov, Moncassin - suicidal. Those two guys had no fear and
everyone in turn feared them.

McEwen, Zabel - head butts. I like head butts. Good way to move the
other guy's arm without moving your own. Only really good bike handlers
are able to execute a proper head butt.

Cipollini - that guy was mostly a *****. He had the most power, so he
was the best when he had his train, but when he didn't have the train,
he would be lost.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> McEwen, Zabel - head butts. I like head butts. Good way to move the
> other guy's arm without moving your own. Only really good bike handlers
> are able to execute a proper head butt.

Agreed. He (McEwen) must be one of the best if not the best bike handlers
in the business at the moment. Its quite awesome to see the way he finds
gaps where no one else can.

On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:57:31 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Raptor wrote:
>> I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
>> (ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
>> ago, and Cookie crashed.

>And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
>recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
>resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
that.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com