Nice win for McEwen

oely wrote:
> What a bunch of rubbish. Your clearly dealing in hyperbole. Hes no
> worse than any others but he also doesnt deal in cliches like the rest
> either. Many other sprinters and riders do exactly the same. Boonen has
> been spouting his ability just as arrogantly as McEwen ever has. For
> good reason but still. Boonen also has his "malfunctions" excuse
> whenever he doesnt win. Petacchi, very rarely gives the full respect
> where its due when he loses. Only to his team, which is fine when your
> winning but he's full of drama when he loses. He has also been
> relegated for punching someone during the Giro. McEwen being pilthy and
> blunt seems to outweigh that sort of thuggery on a bike? please. Showing
> some clear bias and double standards there. But this was before
> "gentleman sprinter" had a palmares so nobody cared then. His whinging
> at the Giro last year that there was a conspiracy against him was
> laughable. Thats blatant *****ing right there but you choose to
> discount that too. Maybe coz it was McEwen dominating then? Zabel for
> all his class was no saint either, just ask alot of his ex teammates at
> TMobile. Alot were happy hes gone. McEwen has definately deserved to be
> relegated but has also clearly cleaned his act up in recent times. I
> think they are all entertaining to watch, enjoy seeing them all race
> and sprint in their own style. But my point is, they are all basically
> cut from the same cloth. All deserve your same praise and criticism.
>
> Also you might want to clarify "everything" the public see's. Theres a
> whole list of things that the public see's and hears from McEwen which
> portray a much differant character too. Complete opposite in fact. Hes
> no angel but niether are the others. We are all keyboard cowboys but
> you seem to just selectively bring out evidence against McEwen. Apply
> your same "guidelines" to other sprinters and racers and youll end up
> disliking most if not all.
>
> And on this current Giro it feels empty coz the sprinting field is so
> weak in general, even when Petacchi was there. McEwen has had Ale Jet's
> measure for awhile now. If anything he looks to be a bit spooked by him.
> Anyway McEwen should enjoy the easy pickings, like Petacchi in past
> Giro's and Vuelta's or Boonen at Paris Nice. Nobody seem to comment it
> was hollow then.
>

> --
> oely

Damn Dude!
You smoke any other Aussies cigar for them too? I thought the Lance
apologists had brown lips...
Bill C

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
> >
> > And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
> > recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
> > resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

> Dumbass -
>

> Unlike that *****, Bill C., I like it when sprinters walk the edge in
> the pursuit of their craft.
>
> Abdujaporov, Moncassin - suicidal. Those two guys had no fear and
> everyone in turn feared them.
>
> McEwen, Zabel - head butts. I like head butts. Good way to move the
> other guy's arm without moving your own. Only really good bike handlers
> are able to execute a proper head butt.
>
> Cipollini - that guy was mostly a *****. He had the most power, so he
> was the best when he had his train, but when he didn't have the train,
> he would be lost.
>

> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

I'm waiting for the Lafferty Anything Goes Open Series where they can
use stun guns, cattle prods, and tasers in the sprint along with all
the good drugs to get them wound up for it. Can you imagine the
coverage of the trips to the team car with 20Km to go? I can see
Ferrari working the broadcast with Phil as an expert commentator on the
"preparation" aspects.
Now that would be classical theater, Roman style!
Bill C

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:57:31 +0200, Donald Munro
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Raptor wrote:
> >> I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
> >> (ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
> >> ago, and Cookie crashed.

> >And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
> >recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
> >resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

> Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
> that.

Not so surprising, of course.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Abdujaporov, Moncassin - suicidal. Those two guys had no fear and
> everyone in turn feared them.

Those two were supremely unpredictable and had the horsepower to pull off some
amazing moves. But it was funny that Abdu won his last stage as a solo breakaway.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On 5/14/06 6:55 AM, in article
[email protected], "Bill C"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Raptor wrote:
>>
>> Has he ever caused a crash?
>>
>> --
>> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

> Not that I can find. Lots of complaints from other riders and even
> teamates about him, but nothing saying HE actually caused a crash.
> That's pretty amazing when you think about it.
> Maybe he gets hammered a little unfairly due to his "pleasant"
> personality.
> Bill C

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/austin_murphy/07/22/top10/p1_mcewen_0722.
jpg

Robert Chung wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
>> Raptor wrote:
>>> I do seem to recall that people have bounced off him and then crashed.
>>> (ISTR) He and Baden Cooke fought for a wheel in a TdF stage 1-2 years
>>> ago, and Cookie crashed.

>> And speaking of fraternal disagreements amongst the aussies I seem to
>> recall a small incident involving a head-butt between McEwen and O'Grady
>> resulting in McEwen being relegated to last place in that sprint.

> http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/matelas.jpg

1) Amazing
2) Thanks mate, friggin ear wax was driving me nuts!
3) This is something even a Nascar fan could appreciate...

http://gblx.cache.el-mundo.net/elmu...tour_francia/fotografia/etapa3/mcewen-efe.jpg

Raptor wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > There's a big difference between the dangers of a sprint and
> > stupidity, McWhiner crosses into stupidity too often for me, then
> > claims it was everybody elses fault but his.
> > If you're going to play that way, at least own it.
> > Bill C

> Has he ever caused a crash?

Actually, yes. At the last stage of the Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen
in early March. He litterally drove Matti Breschel into the barriers.
The young Dane injured his back very badly. Spent a few weeks in the
hospital.

Kenny

Most violent sprint I remember are Kelly and Vanderaerden crossing the
line boxing... with about two-three lengths on the rest of the bunch.

Other nice one is Tom Steels throwing a full bidon towards an oppononet
(nice one to do with 60+ kmh, you could kill someone with some luck)

[email protected] wrote:
> Most violent sprint I remember are Kelly and Vanderaerden crossing the
> line boxing... with about two-three lengths on the rest of the bunch.
>
> Other nice one is Tom Steels throwing a full bidon towards an oppononet
> (nice one to do with 60+ kmh, you could kill someone with some luck)

Dumbass -

That was the greatest sprint ever (I didn't see the Kelly/Vanderaerden
one).

Moncassin and Steels were moving up, Moncassin was to Steel's side and
a wheel behind and a rider was in his way. So he did the natural
Moncassin thing and tried to squeeze the six inch gap between Steels
and the slower rider, knocking Steels out of the way. In shock, Steels
gave up the sprint, then threw his bidon.

That was on the right hand side. In the same sprint, Zabel was in third
wheel and a surge went on the left. Zabel barged in right after the
lead wheel, throwing a violent head butt simultaneously at the
unfortunate follower. Of course he got the wheel.

All this caught by helicopter, above. I watched it over and over in
slo-mo. Amazing that no one crashed.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:43:22 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
>that.

The Cycle Sport article doesn't make him out all that bad. And even at
the local cat 1,2,3 level, it isn't unusual for the sprinters to have
grudges - they do more banging.

I can still remember when two of the best in our area spent the last
200 yards bouncing off each other and cutting each other off. They
rolled across in about 20th place and on their way to the DQ group,
but they simply lost it. Kind of funny watching it, even knowing
they'd be arguing only the other guy should be DQ'd.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On 14 May 2006 14:55:39 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Damn Dude!
>You smoke any other Aussies cigar for them too? I thought the Lance
>apologists had brown lips...
>Bill C

He's not an apologist. These aren't a bunch of local cat 3s - they're
pros and if they can't race shoulder to shoulder and suffer the
consequences, they should settle for 20th until their contract isn't
renewed.

Some 'caused' accidents are primarily making the mistake of assuming
the kid trying to increase next year's contract had the skills to stay
upright. The real deals are what make sprinter finishes the most
exciting and crowd pleasing races and stages. Interestingly enough,
most major accidents that I recall recently are the support guys
losing it in midpack, not the bangers at the front.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 14 May 2006 14:55:39 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Damn Dude!
> >You smoke any other Aussies cigar for them too? I thought the Lance
> >apologists had brown lips...
> >Bill C

> He's not an apologist. These aren't a bunch of local cat 3s - they're
> pros and if they can't race shoulder to shoulder and suffer the
> consequences, they should settle for 20th until their contract isn't
> renewed.
>
> Some 'caused' accidents are primarily making the mistake of assuming
> the kid trying to increase next year's contract had the skills to stay
> upright. The real deals are what make sprinter finishes the most
> exciting and crowd pleasing races and stages. Interestingly enough,
> most major accidents that I recall recently are the support guys
> losing it in midpack, not the bangers at the front.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels..

Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid **** that
needs to be called.
McEwen does more than his share, but *****es up a storm about everyone
elses behavior. That's what really pisses me off with him.
If he stood up and said I'm riding to win and doing whatever I can,
and so are they so it's all just racing, then I'd have some respect for
him. he pushes the limits of the rules then *****es when he gets called
on it, or someone else does it to him.
Dale Earnhardt was perfect example of how to do it with respect.
Everyone knew he was going to do everything in his power, right to the
edge of the rules, to win and he did. That's why his nickname was "The
Intimidator", but he also expected to get back as good as he gave and
didn't ***** when he got bit by it.
McWhiner wants it all his way, where he can do whatever he wants and
the judges should penalize anyone else for doing it. THATS why I have
zero respect for him as a racer. I respect his athletic ability, but
not the whole package.
Bill C

On 15 May 2006 11:45:23 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
>Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
>barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid **** that
>needs to be called.

Well, Bill, you take the guy on the ground's pulse and if its beating,
no foul. It simplifies the whole protest thing.

I guess you want to know if there is a time limit on the pulse thing.
Five minutes seems a bit short, but you can't hold someone responsible
if the other guy goes downhill the next day. You have to figure the
doctor or the hospital is more responsible at that point. Maybe just
say if its beating through the protest period...

The best thing about this process is that it doesn't really require
judgment or anything - just a good stop watch.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 15 May 2006 11:45:23 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
> >Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
> >barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid **** that
> >needs to be called.

> Well, Bill, you take the guy on the ground's pulse and if its beating,
> no foul. It simplifies the whole protest thing.
>
> I guess you want to know if there is a time limit on the pulse thing.
> Five minutes seems a bit short, but you can't hold someone responsible
> if the other guy goes downhill the next day. You have to figure the
> doctor or the hospital is more responsible at that point. Maybe just
> say if its beating through the protest period...
>
> The best thing about this process is that it doesn't really require
> judgment or anything - just a good stop watch.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

That would definitely make life easier for us official types, and if
the sprinters wanted it, I could live with it as long as I didn't have
to scrape 'em off the pavement. Hell, we could even make them pre-file
an incident report when they picked up their numbers so that would be
simple too.
Rollerderby on bicycles with lots more blood. Seems to be a natural
for the X-Games.
Bill C
Bill C

Bill C wrote:

> That would definitely make life easier for us official types, and if
> the sprinters wanted it, I could live with it as long as I didn't have
> to scrape 'em off the pavement. Hell, we could even make them pre-file
> an incident report when they picked up their numbers so that would be
> simple too.

Most excellent - you're starting to see the light. ;)

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:43:22 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Yeah, and in the latest issue of Cycle Sport he blames O'Grady for
> >that.

> The Cycle Sport article doesn't make him out all that bad. And even at
> the local cat 1,2,3 level, it isn't unusual for the sprinters to have
> grudges - they do more banging.
>
> I can still remember when two of the best in our area spent the last
> 200 yards bouncing off each other and cutting each other off. They
> rolled across in about 20th place and on their way to the DQ group,
> but they simply lost it. Kind of funny watching it, even knowing
> they'd be arguing only the other guy should be DQ'd.

If they really meant it they would settle the matter in
the parking lot. Besides being weak, slow, short-winded,
and non-competitive, the only reason I never played
organized sports is that I never forget, never forgive,
and am easily pushed into getting ugly.

--
Michael Press

Does this count as whingeing?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/may06/may16news

While Vaitkus undoubtedly deserved a long sought-after win, he also
benefited from the fatigue of Davitamon-Lotto sprinter Robbie McEwen,
who had suffered on the climbs earlier in the day and was fourth across
the line. "The climbs cooked me a bit and I just didn't have the legs
to go in a long sprint like that," said McEwen after the race. "I was
able to get back on after the climbs but I didn't have much left and I
struggled all the way to the line."

Bill C, if you watch more interviews with Robbie Mc, you'll find that
generally he is a gracious loser and respectful of other riders. Sure
he had that fight with Lance a few years back but I'd say that was a
case of two too similar personalities clashing.

Bill C wrote:
> Where do you draw the line? The last one upright wins no matter what?
> Yes, they need to be allowed to go for it, but riding people into the
> barriers, cutting way across peoples lines, etc... is stupid **** that
> needs to be called.

I'm just puzzled why the fastest guy doesn't just ride away from all the
carnage. That's how I won my two sprints. :)

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

On Mon, 15 May 2006 23:32:35 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>If they really meant it they would settle the matter in
>the parking lot. Besides being weak, slow, short-winded,
>and non-competitive, the only reason I never played
>organized sports is that I never forget, never forgive,
>and am easily pushed into getting ugly.

When you are easily ugly, its easy to have grudges. Intelligence is
when you surround yourself with people uglier than you are; illusions
end when you suddenly realize that's what they're doing too.

Probably has relevance to rbr.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...