night riding

TrekCyclerChic

Dec 13, 2004
So... for my tour this summer we are planning on getting lights to use in case we run into bad weather and want to make up some miles if it's nice at night. Two of the guys have really expensive light systems... However I am on a college kids budget (negative cash flow) and want the most light for the cheapest price. There are some (cateye headlights) that i was looking at that put out 1200 candle power and I'm wondering if anyone has used them and what they think? Any suggestions? One of the guys with better lights will be leading us... And I want a handlebar mount, also. Any help is appreciated.

Diana

Good Luck on the trip TCC! Sorry, no info on the lights, but I thought some encouraging words might light up the day.

I bought a fairly inexpensize cateye set of lights (headlight and tail light). It works great. Make sure to pack extra batteries just in case, no good running out in the middle of a ride. The tail light is also great to have if the weather is over cast or foggy at all.

Check ebay I have seen some great deals there for lights. I have a nightsun logged more night miles than day last year. The nightsun has been a flawless preformer I think I have been using it for about 7 years now. I'm on my fourth battery though I have used it a lot. The place I get batteries to rebuild my pack is now selling complete lights here the brighter the better as far as lights go. It is not just for you to see but to be seen as well get a reflective vest as well as a rear blinker. Night riding is all about visability. How's the weather in Rochester?

Thanks for the replies... i think I'm settling on the Cateye EL500... Two riders have nice 10 W lights and so is should be plenty bright enough to follow along for a few miles a couple of times this summer.

Finally, for my last weekend in Rochester, We are getting osme nice weather. Two weeks ago ended like a 16 day hot.sunny spell, and since then it's been cold, windy and rainy. But today is sunny and 65, and it's only supposed to get better from here! Very excited to have some great biking weather my last weekend here! Now lets just hope the weather stays with my all summer from AK to FL! One can hope! :)

Diana
www.crazygirlonabike.com