No-frills recumbent trike for disabled son

bfrey

Guest
My son is 19 and rides a Worksman adult tricycle with ease. My
challenge is transporting the trike; we are in a rural area with no
place to ride, so I take him to a bike trail or my dad's senior
community for bike riding. I have a RAV4 and the bike just fits if I
lower the handlebars and take out one of the back seats. The bike is a
little heavy for me to lift, though. I'd love to find something
lighter and easier to transport. My son is fully grown at 5'6" and
weighs about 145 pounds. He wouldn't be able to use gears but does
need hand brakes. Other than that, he doesn't need anything special on
a trike (wouldn't have the balance for a regular bicycle). The
recumbents I'm seeing seem to be much more than he needs (more
expensive, more features). Is there anything out there in a small
recumbent trike that might work for me? Or....is there some type of
ramp I might be able to use with the RAV4 so I wouldn't have to lift
the bike into the car?
Many thanks, Beverly

bfrey wrote:

> My son is 19 and rides a Worksman adult tricycle with ease. My
> challenge is transporting the trike; we are in a rural area with no
> place to ride, so I take him to a bike trail or my dad's senior
> community for bike riding. I have a RAV4 and the bike just fits if I
> lower the handlebars and take out one of the back seats. The bike is a
> little heavy for me to lift, though. I'd love to find something
> lighter and easier to transport. My son is fully grown at 5'6" and
> weighs about 145 pounds. He wouldn't be able to use gears but does
> need hand brakes. Other than that, he doesn't need anything special on
> a trike (wouldn't have the balance for a regular bicycle). The
> recumbents I'm seeing seem to be much more than he needs (more
> expensive, more features). Is there anything out there in a small
> recumbent trike that might work for me? Or....is there some type of
> ramp I might be able to use with the RAV4 so I wouldn't have to lift
> the bike into the car?

You are not going to find a decent quality, compact recumbent trike for
less than about $1750 US (Catrike Pocket). This is because the trike
market is small, and all the properly built compact tadpole trike are
intended for a higher end market.

Why wouldn't your son be able to use gears (in the light that he is able
to use handbrakes)? A trike could be built up with an internally geared
hub such as the SRAM Spectro 7 or Shimano Nexus 8, which are simple to
shift and relatively maintenance free.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:39:18 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>You are not going to find a decent quality, compact recumbent trike for
>less than about $1750 US

With one notable exception: http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/

I have to tell you that there is at least one major problem with the
KMX, and that is going to be actually getting your hands on it. Not
getting the bike itself, that's easy, they are great guys and very
responsive, no, the problem is going to be wrestling it out of the
hands of the neighbourhood kids, because that bike is more fun than
sex. For certain values of sex, of course.

Seriously, I have never had so much fun on a bike as riding one of
those KMXs. I think three or four back tyres were smoked on the demo
bikes in the course of a single weekend.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Check out http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm

I have heard of several people with balance or other difficulties who use
the EZ 3. It is simple and is easily the best value for recumbent money out
there. Read the reviews, particularly "Bent rider on-line". They quote the
price at $US725 which might be a bit out of date. In Canada they are priced
at around $CAD1250.

Good luck,

Roy

news:[email protected]...

araby wrote:

> Check out http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm
>
> I have heard of several people with balance or other difficulties who use
> the EZ 3. It is simple and is easily the best value for recumbent money out
> there. Read the reviews, particularly "Bent rider on-line". They quote the
> price at $US725 which might be a bit out of date. In Canada they are priced
> at around $CAD1250.

The EZ-3 is not particularly compact, and it weighs in the mid-50-pound
range, so it does not meet the criteria of the original poster.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

On 20 Mar 2005 10:59:19 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "bfrey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> My son is 19 and rides a Worksman adult tricycle with ease. My
> challenge is transporting the trike; we are in a rural area with no
> place to ride, so I take him to a bike trail or my dad's senior
> community for bike riding.

It's a RURAL AREA. Why isn't he riding there?

and please don't tell me that you won't let an ADULT ride on the
road, where bikes belong! you don't need to keep transporting
the bike around. all he needs to do is get on it and ride!

It would be extremely unsafe for him to ride on our road. As soon as
you leave our driveway there are big hills, poor visibility, uneven
roads, etc. Even a person who did not have a disability would be
unable to safely ride on any of the roads near our home.

>> You are not going to find a decent quality, compact recumbent trike for

> less than about $1750 US (Catrike Pocket). This is because the trike
> market is small, and all the properly built compact tadpole trike are
> intended for a higher end market.

Tom, please stay on topic.

The orignal poster was asking about a top end road bike for his
son to race this season and you have to go a bring up stuff like
recumbent trikes.

My son does exactly hte same thing, and I transport his adult trike in
the back of our Caravan with the rear 3rd seat removed. Fits ok, if I
lower the handlebars, just like you.

One day I was at the trail parking lot and saw a gentleman, bu himself,
riding the same kind of bike.

He had developed a ramp of some sort to help roll the bike into the
back of his Caravan.

Also, there is a pulley-like ratchet device, I believe it is calledf a
"come-a-long" that you could attach with the built-in hook in your van
somewhere, and ratchet the bike up a ramp.

I am able to lift the bike in, but my wofe would not be able to be.

My son loves riding his bike, does not use the gears, but can use the
built-in coaster brake and the one hand brake. I walk with him on his
rides.

>and please don't tell me that you won't let an ADULT ride on the
road, where bikes belong! you don't need to keep transporting
the bike around. all he needs to do is get on it and ride!

You haven't a clue what this is about, do you?

My son also rides a trike. He is profoundly developmentally disabled,
and I walk with him to insure his safety while riding. No way can he
go on a road.

I also walk (run!) along with my son as he rides.
Could you tell what the ramp you saw seemed to be made of? I'll have
to also look into the "come-a-long"--that sounds interesting.
I'm able to lift the bike, and my son can help a little by lifting the
back as I lift up the front. But it's awkward, and I'm a little
concerned about hurting my back. There has to be an easier way!!
Thanks for your note--and I enjoyed hearing a little about your son as
well. Beverly

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>>You are not going to find a decent quality, compact recumbent trike for

>>less than about $1750 US (Catrike Pocket). This is because the trike
>>market is small, and all the properly built compact tadpole trike are
>>intended for a higher end market.

> Tom, please stay on topic.
>
> The orignal poster was asking about a top end road bike for his
> son to race this season and you have to go a bring up stuff like
> recumbent trikes.

Hey Fabby,

Have you stocked up well on snack food to eat while watching the bike
races on television, while sitting in your recumbent chair?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

You are not going to find a decent quality, compact recumbent trike for

less than about $1750 US (Catrike Pocket). This is because the trike
market is small, and all the properly built compact tadpole trike are
intended for a higher end market.

Why wouldn't your son be able to use gears (in the light that he is
able
to use handbrakes)? A trike could be built up with an internally geared

hub such as the SRAM Spectro 7 or Shimano Nexus 8, which are simple to
shift and relatively maintenance free.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia

Tom,
I know what you mean about the market being small for the type
of bike I'm looking for. I thought there might be something available
that I haven't heard of yet.
I don't think my son would cognitively understand when/how to
use gears. He rides on very level areas only, so doesn't need gears.
Thank you for your input! Beverly

"Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My son does exactly hte same thing, and I transport his adult trike in
> the back of our Caravan with the rear 3rd seat removed. Fits ok, if I
> lower the handlebars, just like you.
>
> One day I was at the trail parking lot and saw a gentleman, bu himself,
> riding the same kind of bike.
>
> He had developed a ramp of some sort to help roll the bike into the
> back of his Caravan.
>
> Also, there is a pulley-like ratchet device, I believe it is calledf a
> "come-a-long" that you could attach (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A ramp would solve your problems. A come-along is way overkill--intended
for loads in the hundreds of pounds. It is possible to buy a pair of ramp
ends which attach to a pair of planks. If you want to keep it really
simple, cut a piece of plywood tp fit the available space. You can just
slide it under the trike for hauling, and slide it out for

Even if you have to pay to have a ramp built, it is likely to cost WAY less
than upgrading to a lighter trike.

BTW, on behalf of the rest of us, I apologize for the few who fail to read
or understand, and then say insensitive things.

A "come-a-long is available in stores such as home depot. While some
may consider it "overkill" I have one, which i occasionally use for
pulling and loading. A small one would ratchet your bike up just fine.

I think the plywood ramp makes the most sense. Cut to fit the bottom
of your van, it could slide out and tilt down, perhaps having a hook
which hooks over a bumper or something similar to provide stability.

My son's (he is 37 yo) trike weights about 60 pounds. I load the front
wheel on and then lift the back while pushing it forward. I have to
simultaneously steer the front wheel to the corner nearest the front of
the van, or the trike will not fit. This gets to be quite a gymnastics
event!

Good luck!

Do you have a carpenter friend who might help?

Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2005 10:59:19 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "bfrey"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My son is 19 and rides a Worksman adult tricycle with ease. My
>> challenge is transporting the trike; we are in a rural area with no
>> place to ride, so I take him to a bike trail or my dad's senior
>> community for bike riding.

> It's a RURAL AREA. Why isn't he riding there?
>
> and please don't tell me that you won't let an ADULT ride on the
> road, where bikes belong! you don't need to keep transporting
> the bike around. all he needs to do is get on it and ride!

We're all going to assume you missed the part about him being
developmentally disabled.

Right?

This might sound silly but think about it for a minute.
I once put a set of training wheels on a bike and put a larger diameter
wheel on them. It was very stable!
Also, a recumbent seat ( even home made plywood base ) can fit a regular
bicycle it you want to do some
cutting Maybe some home made American engineering
would serve you better than a foreign bike that
doesn't fill the bill. Your son is lucky to have a father
of your caliber. My hats off to you sir.
"bfrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My son is 19 and rides a Worksman adult tricycle with ease. My
> challenge is transporting the trike; we are in a rural area with no
> place to ride, so I take him to a bike trail or my dad's senior
> community for bike riding. I have a RAV4 and the bike just fits if I
> lower the handlebars and take out one of the back seats. The bike is a
> little heavy for me to lift, though. I'd love to find something
> lighter and easier to transport. My son is fully grown at 5'6" and
> weighs about 145 pounds. He wouldn't be able to use gears but does
> need hand brakes. Other than that, he doesn't need anything special on
> a trike (wouldn't have the balance for a regular bicycle). The
> recumbents I'm seeing seem to be much more than he needs (more
> expensive, more features). Is there anything out there in a small
> recumbent trike that might work for me? Or....is there some type of
> ramp I might be able to use with the RAV4 so I wouldn't have to lift
> the bike into the car?
> Many thanks, Beverly

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> araby wrote:
>
>> Check out http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm
>>
>> I have heard of several people with balance or other difficulties who

use
>> the EZ 3. It is simple and is easily the best value for recumbent money

out
>> there. Read the reviews, particularly "Bent rider on-line". They quote

the
>> price at $US725 which might be a bit out of date. In Canada they are

priced
>> at around $CAD1250.

> The EZ-3 is not particularly compact, and it weighs in the mid-50-pound
> range, so it does not meet the criteria of the original poster.

Where does the original poster quote a maximum weight criteria? It will
certainly fit into the back of a RAV4 with the rear seat folded. I've seen
one in the back of a Mazda Tribute.
For someone with physical difficulties, a low tadpole design might be
difficult to get in and out of.

Regards

Roy

mid-50-pound
> > range, so it does not meet the criteria of the original poster.
> >

> Where does the original poster quote a maximum weight criteria? It

will
> certainly fit into the back of a RAV4 with the rear seat folded. I've

seen
> one in the back of a Mazda Tribute.
> For someone with physical difficulties, a low tadpole design might

be
> difficult to get in and out of.
>
> Regards
>
> Roy

My posts from last night and this a.m. aren't showing up; I may be
unwittingly "replying to author" instead of to the group--if so, my
apologies.

At any rate, I think your post, Roy, points to the crux of the problem.
There aren't that many small recumbent bikes out there, and until my
son rides one, I'm not sure if any specific bike would work for him.
The same goes for ease of transport. His Worksman trike actually folds
into a 29" x 29" x 30" dimension; however, when it's folded it's
actually more cumbersome because it has a tendency to "un-fold," if
that makes any sense. So from information gleaned from this post, it
does seem that a ramp would be my best option, since my son is
comfortable on his trike and the only real problem is my difficulty
lifting into the RAV4. My husband is a woodworker and could make about
anything if I told him exactly what I need and what would work best.
The distance to lift the bike into the car is only about 20" and there
isn't a lip on the back of the car. I'm guessing a 4' ramp would work
but we can experiment with plywood. There are two plastic "hooks" on
either side of the back of the car; would I use these to hook up the
ramp, or isn't that necessary? I'm looking at wheelchair ramps and
such on the web but it's hard to see exactly how they're made. I don't
want anything that folds in the middle because of the front center tire
of the bike. I'd consider buying a ramp if it's significantly lighter
in weight than plywood would be. Or is there another material my
husband could use? Any ideas to help him build the ramp would be
greatly appreciated! Beverly

21 Mar 2005 10:46:04 -0800,
<[email protected]>, "bfrey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd consider buying a ramp if it's significantly lighter
>in weight than plywood would be. Or is there another material my
>husband could use? Any ideas to help him build the ramp would be
>greatly appreciated!

Two or three planks are easier to handle than a sheet of plywood.

There are several ramps marketed for ATV and motorcycle haulers.
They're also used by landscapers for loading their light machinery.

For example:
http://www.loading-ramps.us/
--
zk