Noisy Giant TCR Composite... Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank

I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise while
riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?

Details: • The bike only has 500 km on it. • The noise has only just started to appear during the
last few rides. • Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM’s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
pressure on the pedals) • Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting • Noise sounds like
flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays

I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
> while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?
>
> Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
> last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
> pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise sounds
> like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays
>
> I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
> and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Yeah - you shouldn't have bought a Giant. A local team is sponsored by them and you always know
where they are in the group because of their squeeking and cracking frames.

-a

I have a TCR-1 composite with a similar noise that goes away if I stand up (get off seat).
Otherwise, this is one of the least noisy bikes I have ever ridden.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
> while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?
>
> Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
> last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
> pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise sounds
> like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays
>
> I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
> and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

On 8 Jun 2003 02:55:57 -0700, [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote:

>"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
>> while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?
>>
>> Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
>> last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
>> pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise sounds
>> like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays
>>
>> I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
>> and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>
>Yeah - you shouldn't have bought a Giant. A local team is sponsored by them and you always know
>where they are in the group because of their squeeking and cracking frames.
>
>-a

They better get a better mechaic. I sold 45 of these. No squeeking and cracking in Santa
Barbara.....

Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
775-248-7632 Fax 805-680-7094 Cell

www.fastrackbicycles.com

Frank-<< I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing
noise while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?

Take it back to where you bought it...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Glen, No worry, you've got yourself an excellent bike. Try checking these two :
1. The fork carbon spacers. Are they sitting properly?
2. Water cage bolts.
P/S : You can pinpoint the noice source by having the bike stationary and thumping the seat with
your palm.

Good luck.

Glen wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>I have a TCR-1 composite with a similar noise that goes away if I stand up (get off seat).
>Otherwise, this is one of the least noisy bikes I have ever ridden.
>
>"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
>> while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas
or
>> experiences they could share?
>>
>> Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
>> last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a
lot
>> of pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise
>> sounds like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main
triangle
>> or rear stays
>>
>> I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber
bike. I
>> have never owned one and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.