Non-leather Ergonomic Saddles.

Narayan Krishna

Guest
Hello,

I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
that they would vouch for? (I plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)

Thanks! Narayan.

PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

Terry Liberator. Not sure if it's synthetic, but I swear by mine, not at it.

"Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
> but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
> that they would vouch for?
(I
> plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
>
> Thanks! Narayan.
>
> PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

Don't forget that cows are made out of grass...

"Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
> but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
> that they would vouch for?
(I
> plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
>
> Thanks! Narayan.
>
> PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

I checked their web site, it says leather. So, I am assuming Cowskin. :)

Thanks for a lightning fast reply!!

Narayan.

"Kinon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:K7KT9.26255$3v.4486@sccrnsc01...
> Terry Liberator. Not sure if it's synthetic, but I swear by mine, not at
it.

> "Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels..
> > looked at the Koobi Si, but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!).
Does
> > anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles that they would vouch
for?
> (I
> > plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
> >
> > Thanks! Narayan.
> >
> > PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

Since the cow was killed for something else anyway, why not use of ALL of its products? Waste not,
want not...

"Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
> but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
> that they would vouch for?
(I
> plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
>
> Thanks! Narayan.
>
> PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

Any discussion on this would be off-topic in this ng. :) Cheers! Narayan

"Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Since the cow was killed for something else anyway, why not use of ALL of its products? Waste not,
> want not...
>

> "Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels..
> > looked at the Koobi Si, but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!).
Does
> > anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles that they would vouch
for?
> (I
> > plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
> >
> > Thanks! Narayan.
> >
> > PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

In all fairness, you opened Pandora's box by dropping your beliefs in your message. I'm sure nobody
here cares why you don't want a leather saddle, but you found it necessary to tell everyone. You
can hardly blame the contents of the box for slipping out.. It can easily and fairly be said that
your personal convictions are off-topic and don't belong in your original post. Personally, I like
the Specialized Body Geometry saddles. I have two, an incredibly heavy plain model (synthetic
cover) and a Sport version for my mountain bike (mystery cover..probaby synthetic). I like them
quite a bit and use the clunker model on my road bike which doubles as my trainer in winter. It's
not probably not the best saddle, but I have found them quite comfy..the most comfy since the $3
saddle I had on my first Peugeot, which was nothing more than plastic and a cover with the most
insignificant layer of foam ever to cover a saddle. For some reason, it was a great saddle. Maybe
antiquity has ambered my memory.

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

S. Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
: In all fairness, you opened Pandora's box by dropping your beliefs in your message. I'm sure
: nobody here cares why you don't want a leather saddle, but you found it necessary to tell
: everyone.

since it's his beliefs that preclude leather (and not just brooks saddles, which is what i would
have assumed he meant had he not mentioned that he was vegan) i think it's fair to mention it when
asking for advice. he hardly shoved it down anyone's throat. in all fairness, i mean.

quite a few of selle san marco's saddles are covered in lorica which, iirc is synthetic.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Trico Split Rail. Adjusts 6 ways from Sunday, TI rails, plastic pads. Worth every penny after an 8
hour ride.

A nice thing about plastic on a tourer is that if it starts to rain, you have nothing to worry
about, no matter what your political views are...

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:05:18 GMT, "Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
>but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
>that they would vouch for? (I plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
>
>Thanks! Narayan.
>
>PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

Take a look at the Aeron chair clone saddle at http://www.saddleco.com/flow.html

If it is comfortable as an Aeron it should be a winner. The saddle seat is a breathable mesh, with
'lubricating polymers within the fibers'. The mesh fabric is stretched over a nylon frame. Seems
similar in size and weight to my Max Flite Trans Am.

$125 list.

Joe

> I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
> but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
> that they would vouch for?

I have a low end Terry Fly (cro-mo rails) that is vinyl. The Ti rail model is leather. It is a very
comfortable, yet light weight saddle. I always thought it was leather until I tore the edge in a
crash. I rode this saddle on a 7 day MTB tour last summer with no complaints from down below.

> > I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi
> > Si, but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather
> > saddles that they would vouch for?

Avocet makes or made saddles with a Lycra cover rather than leather. I still see them in bike shops
occasionally, but in general Avocet products are rare in bike shops for wholesale channel reasons.

Hi Scott,

I don't think my post was OT because it was a question about a bike saddle. My intention was to not
provoke a detailed discussion about why I DIDN'T want leather (I am sure most would have suggested
leather, if I had not mentioned the "V" word. Oddly a few did, even though I dropped the "V" word).

I made no statement about why I was vegan, and so I don't think I stated a personal conviction.

Anyway, sorry to have ruffled some feathers -- inadvertent I assure you. :) Cheers! Narayan

S. Anderson wrote:

> In all fairness, you opened Pandora's box by dropping your beliefs in your message. I'm sure
> nobody here cares why you don't want a leather saddle, but you found it necessary to tell
> everyone. You can hardly blame the contents of the box for slipping out.. It can easily and fairly
> be said that your personal convictions are off-topic and don't belong in your original post.
> Personally, I like the Specialized Body Geometry saddles. I have two, an incredibly heavy plain
> model (synthetic cover) and a Sport version for my mountain bike (mystery cover..probaby
> synthetic). I like them quite a bit and use the clunker model on my road bike which doubles as my
> trainer in winter. It's not probably not the best saddle, but I have found them quite comfy..the
> most comfy since the $3 saddle I had on my first Peugeot, which was nothing more than plastic and
> a cover with the most insignificant layer of foam ever to cover a saddle. For some reason, it was
> a great saddle. Maybe antiquity has ambered my memory.

"Narayan Krishnamoorthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
> but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
> that they would vouch for?
(I
> plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
>
> Thanks! Narayan.
>
> PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked

I couldn't find a link on their web site, but the Selle San Marco Aero Zebra appears to fit the
bill. There's a picture of it on p.42 of the January issure of Mountain Bike. She's a real beauty.

Joe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:05:18 GMT, "Narayan Krishnamoorthy"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I would really to get a saddle that protects my, errrr.. crown jewels.. I looked at the Koobi Si,
> >but it is only made in leather (I am vegan!). Does anyone know any good synthetic leather saddles
> >that they would vouch for? (I plan to use this saddle predominantly on my nnneeewww Touring bike)
> >
> >Thanks! Narayan.
> >
> >PS: Gosh! I just de-lurked
>
> Take a look at the Aeron chair clone saddle at http://www.saddleco.com/flow.html
>
> If it is comfortable as an Aeron it should be a winner. The saddle seat is a breathable mesh, with
> 'lubricating polymers within the fibers'. The mesh fabric is stretched over a nylon frame. Seems
> similar in size and weight to my Max Flite Trans Am.
>
> $125 list.
>
> Joe

Oh wow, does that sound nice! I'd never heard of the Aeron-like saddles before. Thanks for the
tip-off, Joe. Sit4Less.com just shipped my new Aeron chair out this week. The one I'd inherited
at work had lived well beyond its guaranteed lifetime (12 years!) and was the comfiest thing I'd
ever sat in. I'm really looking forward to this new one. Now I've got to go and get that bike
saddle to match.

---------
Bobbie Keller/Spin26