Guest
Went for a ride.

Those effing fires.

Really bad.

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

> Went for a ride.
>
> Those effing fires.
>
> Really bad.

Serves you right for going for an afternoon ride instead
of working for your pets.

"SLAVE of THE STATE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| Went for a ride.
|
| Those effing fires.
|
| Really bad.

I requested that our Tuesday/Thursday morning ride take it a bit easier
heading up Kings Mtn this morning, but I shouldn't have bothered. The rest
of the guy's version of "easy" still has me gasping for breath, with or
without the smoke. It certainly was ugly though, and you could often smell
it quite strongly. And this evening, driving home from the shop, I noticed
what I thought was the moon in the sky. It wasn't. It was the sun,
ridiculously pale and orange.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "SLAVE of THE STATE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | Went for a ride.
> |
> | Those effing fires.
> |
> | Really bad.
>
> I requested that our Tuesday/Thursday morning ride take it a bit easier
> heading up Kings Mtn this morning, but I shouldn't have bothered. The rest
> of the guy's version of "easy" still has me gasping for breath, with or
> without the smoke. It certainly was ugly though, and you could often smell
> it quite strongly. And this evening, driving home from the shop, I noticed
> what I thought was the moon in the sky. It wasn't. It was the sun,
> ridiculously pale and orange.

Well, there was also a fairly big and smokey fire just off Middlefield near
Raychem around 4:00. That didn't help matters much.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> "SLAVE of THE STATE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | Went for a ride.
> |
> | Those effing fires.
> |
> | Really bad.
>
> I requested that our Tuesday/Thursday morning ride take it a bit easier
> heading up Kings Mtn this morning, but I shouldn't have bothered. The rest
> of the guy's version of "easy" still has me gasping for breath, with or
> without the smoke. It certainly was ugly though, and you could often smell
> it quite strongly. And this evening, driving home from the shop, I noticed
> what I thought was the moon in the sky. It wasn't. It was the sun,
> ridiculously pale and orange.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Some years ago we had weeks of smoke in Houston. There were massive fires in
Mexico and the smoke was carries northward by the winds. Florida had
something similar recently as well.

It is amazing what kind of discomfort that situation can bring. There were a
lot of racers training for nationals that were really messed up that year.
Be careful...

Bruce

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> Went for a ride.
>
> Those effing fires.
>
> Really bad.

Wouldn't be a problem if you guys would bulldoze
the trees.

Bob Schwartz

On Jun 26, 2:18 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
> Went for a ride.
>
> Those effing fires.
>
> Really bad.

Yep. Trouble in cycling paradise. I holed up for a couple of days
figuring it would pass as usual, but it's predicted to last for a
month. Fortunately some marine air comes in at night, so mornings
before 10 am are OK for riding.

Apparently South East Asia is like this all the time. Reminds me of
Blade Runner.
-Paul

What kind of effect does it have on your health? Does training
in this situation have a lasting impact on your health (lungs)?

What kind of effect does it have on your health? Does training
in this situation have a lasting impact on your health (lungs)?

On Jun 27, 9:19 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> What kind of effect does it have on your health? Does training
> in this situation have a lasting impact on your health (lungs)?

The standard recommendation is to stay indoors when it's really bad.
Sucking smoke particles deep into your lungs is never a good idea. I
just got back from a morning ride and it was OK. It seems to blow in
more later in the day. So that's my plan, get out early instead of
later like I usually do.
-Paul

Paul G. wrote:
> On Jun 27, 9:19 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
> please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
>> What kind of effect does it have on your health? Does training
>> in this situation have a lasting impact on your health (lungs)?

> The standard recommendation is to stay indoors when it's really bad.
> Sucking smoke particles deep into your lungs is never a good idea. I
> just got back from a morning ride and it was OK. It seems to blow in
> more later in the day. So that's my plan, get out early instead of
> later like I usually do.
> -Paul

According to

http://www.weather.gov/aq/sectors/northcalifornia.php

it is actually better late in the day and worse in the morning.

On Jun 27, 11:17 am, dave a <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul G. wrote:
> > On Jun 27, 9:19 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
> > please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> >> What kind of effect does it have on your health? Does training
> >> in this situation have a lasting impact on your health (lungs)?

> > The standard recommendation is to stay indoors when it's really bad.
> > Sucking smoke particles deep into your lungs is never a good idea. I
> > just got back from a morning ride and it was OK. It seems to blow in
> > more later in the day. So that's my plan, get out early instead of
> > later like I usually do.
> > -Paul

> According to
>
> http://www.weather.gov/aq/sectors/northcalifornia.php
>
> it is actually better late in the day and worse in the morning.

It probably depends a lot on where you are. Where I live marine air
comes in at night, and the smoke starts coming in about 10 am. Of
course wind speed and direction are key, and that can change. I went
out to the beach a couple of days ago when it was really bad, and the
air was clean starting about 3 miles from the coast.
-Paul

On Jun 27, 9:19 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> What kind of effect does it have on your health? Does training
> in this situation have a lasting impact on your health (lungs)?

I have a call into my pulmonologist -- a Dr. Magilla -- so I'll let
you know.

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> I have a call into my pulmonologist -- a Dr. Magilla -- so I'll let you
> know.

Be sure to ask him for an asthma TUE.

| "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > "SLAVE of THE STATE" <[email protected]> wrote in message

| > | Went for a ride.
| > |
| > | Those effing fires.
| > |
| > | Really bad.
| >
| > I requested that our Tuesday/Thursday morning ride take it a bit easier
| > heading up Kings Mtn this morning, but I shouldn't have bothered. The
rest
| > of the guy's version of "easy" still has me gasping for breath, with or
| > without the smoke. It certainly was ugly though, and you could often
smell
| > it quite strongly. And this evening, driving home from the shop, I
noticed
| > what I thought was the moon in the sky. It wasn't. It was the sun,
| > ridiculously pale and orange.
| >
| > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
| > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
| >

| Some years ago we had weeks of smoke in Houston. There were massive fires
in
| Mexico and the smoke was carries northward by the winds. Florida had
| something similar recently as well.
|
| It is amazing what kind of discomfort that situation can bring. There were
| lot of racers training for nationals that were really messed up that year.
| Be careful...
|
| Bruce

It didn't affect me much at all... until today. But it wasn't my lungs.
Instead I've come down with the worst allergy attack I've had in years. Some
sort of cumulative effect that took a bit of time but when it hit this
morning... yikes. Pretty much flattened me all day. Just not beginning to
feel semi-human.