NP Micro burst

falls_alot said:
So, what is the appropriate intensity for 15 sec or 30 sec on/off intervals?
How many reps is appropriate?

Can someone provide a sample workout?

Thanks!
Pat:)
try 200% of Ft 15s and 15s at 1w/kg until you can only get to 150% of ft

WarrenG said:
Sounds very hard. How long can you do this?
i will let you know the final numbers, i will gradually build into it by starting with standing 15secx200%and 45sec 1w/kg for 15minutes then drop recovery to 30sec then eventually to 15sec... again it is all done standing :eek:

grom said:
i will let you know the final numbers, i will gradually build into it by starting with standing 15secx200%and 45sec 1w/kg for 15minutes then drop recovery to 30sec then eventually to 15sec... again it is all done standing :eek:

Don't be disappointed if you don't go for 15'. :) That sounds really hard.

WarrenG said:
Don't be disappointed if you don't go for 15'. :) That sounds really hard.
whatever i get to i will not be dissapointed ,as i am already pleased with the results to date:)

WarrenG said:
For this you can use a 30" acceleration to about 110-130% of your VO2max power and hold that to the end, then 30" rest.
How are you determining VO2max power? (I've been using a MAP test with Ric Stern's protocol, as described on Cyclingnews.)

Thanks!:)

WarrenG said:
Sounds very hard. How long can you do this?

Earlier this year (when I was only riding a couple of hours per week) I did 2 x 20 min essentially as grom described:

http://home.earthlink.net/~acoggan/setraining

I say "essentially" because the on periods were at only 189% of my functional threshold power, not at 200% as he suggests. I also did them seated, not standing. Even so, I don't think the workout is quite as difficult as you seem to believe - in fact, I really wouldn't have rated it any harder than 2 x 20 min at 100% of my functional threshold power.

falls_alot said:
How are you determining VO2max power? (I've been using a MAP test with Ric Stern's protocol, as described on Cyclingnews.)

Thanks!:)

I think you'll have to ask someone more familiar with the RS protocol.

acoggan said:
Earlier this year (when I was only riding a couple of hours per week) I did 2 x 20 min essentially as grom described:

http://home.earthlink.net/~acoggan/setraining

I say "essentially" because the on periods were at only 189% of my functional threshold power, not at 200% as he suggests. I also did them seated, not standing. Even so, I don't think the workout is quite as difficult as you seem to believe - in fact, I really wouldn't have rated it any harder than 2 x 20 min at 100% of my functional threshold power.
when i did the workout that was just part of the day,i followed it with 3x9min(80%/90%/100%ft) progressive interval and 2x4min (90%ft), the day started with the spin up 5rpm every 15sec to max, i still cant break 200rpm i need to see what happens to the powertap display but i maxed out at 198

acoggan said:
Well, the scientific studies of the topic say that it should be. That is, with the exception of the fiber type recruitment pattern, steady-state and 15 s on/off intervals performed at the same average power result in essentially the same physiological responses (e.g., glycogen and intramuscular triglyceride utilization, high energy phosphate levels, muscle and blood lactate concentration, whole body VO2 and RER, etc.).
Thanks Andy,

My PE is probably high just because my body has to adapt to the non steady state. I'll monitor it going foreward.

Jeff

WarrenG said:
You said they have a higher PE than steady-state even though, with only 15 second rests there are many similarities. For a MTB or criterium racer I'd suggest these MB's too, and/or some that are up to 30/30. All those accelerations need some decent muscle strength. IME, if you do some training for that, like SFR/low-cadence high resistance you will improve the strength that allows you to handle all those acclerations very well and when you can do this the intervals are not as hard so you can use higher power for them, and/or do more of them. This has helped me a lot.
Forgive me, how is that different from what I wrote:

"I have been doing mostly steady state during the off season. I race MTB. I have added MBs due to fact that MTB races are not TTs, they are constant acceleration/ deceleration, at lower cadences and Higher torque."

My PE was probably because this was a new stimulus(recently)

Please forgive again. This is my first forum and don't know what IME or SFR stand for, but I match my training stimulus to my Racing demand as far as low cadence and high resistance (or High torque). Adding the MB dimension is a further attempt at specicificity.

I used to fall into the MTB races were like TTs thing, but have been enlightened thanks to Andy and Hunter.

I seemed to get pretty far along with Steady state AT work in the off season and short intervals closer to racing, but AT/FTP would suffer over time. So MBs seem very likely to help with that. As with all things tweaking the duration and intensity as i go along. This was my first structured MB session.

Haven't been Truely MTBing since last June.

So maybe I should just forget all this and just MTB hard and rest easy and race MTB, throw out the HR monitor and cancel the Power tap on order and be a Zen MTBer again. :)

Jeff

jetnjeff said:
Thanks Andy,

My PE is probably high just because my body has to adapt to the non steady state. I'll monitor it going foreward.

Jeff
Did 2X20 FTP +15 AP and FTP AP. These felt easier than my 3X10s 2 weeks ago at about the same AP. So more time lower AP. Still harder than steady state, But can tell now it is an adaption issue. It is harder to go brain numb compared to Steady state though.

Thanks for the interesting give an take.

IME= In My Experience?
FSR= Force/Strenght/Resistance?

Jeff