NY vineyard tour?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Jdtpumps, May 31, 2003.

  1. Jdtpumps

    Jdtpumps Guest

    Anybody done this? Any helpful links? Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to do in Sept or Early
    Oct, at a very liesurely pace. Bill Taylor

    Tags:

  2. JDTPumps wrote:
    > Anybody done this? Any helpful links? Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to do in Sept or
    > Early Oct, at a very liesurely pace. Bill Taylor

    Try "Bike Hudson Valley" http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/ I think it include some rides that
    feature vineyards. I can recommend Magnanini Farm Winery in Walkill. It has a great family style
    restuarant. Fall is a great time to ride in the Hudson Valley.

    Robin

  3. Ken Roberts

    Ken Roberts Guest

    Turns out the a sizable percentage of the wineries in the Hudson Valley are within a couple of miles
    of a worthwhile bike route on the Bike Hudson Valley website -- see
    www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/m/winery

    Magnanini Farm is a bit more than 2 miles from a gentle-to-moderate 35-mile route -- a route that
    also goes near three other wineries (and it doesn't look difficult to add a side trip to visit
    two more).

    Then a few miles east from there is another "4-wineries-nearby" route thru Marlboro and Milton that
    also crosses the Hudson River twice.

    Over on the east side of the Hudson river is a route that goes within a couple of miles of three
    wineries -- but the real motivation for the route is the many beautiful horse farms and fun
    downhill roads.

    A couple of things I like about the Hudson Valley compared with some other other regions with
    wineries: (a) the size of most of the farms and estates is smaller, so you can see things more
    easily from riding by on the road;
    (b) there's a mix of different kinds of farms and houses and scenery.

    Ken