Road Cycling · Public discussion

NYC crazy bicycle drag race

Started by Bill Henry · · Last activity · 32 posts · 2,268 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 September 2005
Last activity
15 September 2005
Original author
Bill Henry
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,268
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. bjorn said:

    You've got to be 19 or 20 years old to do this !

    Oh, it's insane, and they're probably going even crazier since there's a
    camera around.

    But I do find that I see things a lot better on a bike than I would off
    it, and actually feel safer at times, plus I take up less space and can
    avoid a lot of accidents. Still, you won't see me going the wrong way
    down 5th Avenue any time soon.

  2. http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob

  3. You've got to be 19 or 20 years old to do this !

    John Wilke
    Milwaukee
    (havent been 19 or 20 for a long time! )

  4. ~R said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    They give bicyclists a bad name.

    Rich

  5. Rich said:
    ~R said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    They give bicyclists a bad name.

    Rich

    haha...someone told me and 11 of my friends that thursday night as we
    were flyering for a Katrina Relief Keg Party. Maybe we were being
    stupid in traffic (which was certainly slow) but we raised $1400! So
    yeah...it was worth it.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  6. Rich said:

    They give bicyclists a bad name.

    How so? There are certainly motorists behaving just as badly in the
    area; do they give motorists a bad name?

    RFM

  7. Fritz M said:
    Rich said:

    They give bicyclists a bad name.

    How so? There are certainly motorists behaving just as badly in the
    area; do they give motorists a bad name?

    RFM

    First: here, motorist do have a bad name! 🙂

    And, while I don't really ride like that often, it does bother me to a
    certain extent in the sense that a motorists whose opinions on cyclists
    sit on the fence well be swayed negatively. In NYC, clearly motorists
    are somewhat used to it. In Atlanta: not so much.

    Also: it's one thing to run lights and weave through/dodge cars, doing
    that to pedestrians could fall under the "friendly fire" category.

    Lastly: all that said, I like watching the video. New York accents are
    hilarious to me.

    \\paul
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  8. Bill Henry said:
    bjorn said:

    You've got to be 19 or 20 years old to do this !

    Oh, it's insane, and they're probably going even crazier since there's a
    camera around.

    But I do find that I see things a lot better on a bike than I would off
    it, and actually feel safer at times, plus I take up less space and can
    avoid a lot of accidents. Still, you won't see me going the wrong way
    down 5th Avenue any time soon.

    Yeah but that wide-angle lens makes it look even worse! It reminds me
    every time when the lady in the SUV closed me off and I didn't fit
    between her and parked car!!!

  9. Bill Henry <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> bjorn wrote:
    :>> You've got to be 19 or 20 years old to do this !
    :>
    :> Oh, it's insane, and they're probably going even crazier since
    :> there's a camera around.
    :>
    :> But I do find that I see things a lot better on a bike than I would
    :> off it, and actually feel safer at times, plus I take up less space
    :> and can avoid a lot of accidents. Still, you won't see me going the
    :> wrong way down 5th Avenue any time soon.

    I just have a hard time with the guy riding while carrying the camera on his
    helmet...I mean, he was taking some pretty tight spaces without ever looking
    to the side....I just can't see how that's possible. I know in several
    places he intentionally turns his head, but in those tight and quick spots,
    it just seems impossible....

  10. ~R said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob


    Three points:

    * First these guys ride the way most taxi drivers, drive.

    * Second, this does show that the common, upright dual wheeled human
    powered vehicular device (AKA bicycle) has much more flexability, and
    manuverability then the common quad wheeled engine powered vehicular
    device (AKA car),

    * Third that pedestrians, in Manhatten are just as stupid and clueless
    as anywhere else :-)

    W

  11. ~R said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob


    Three points:

    * First these guys ride the way most taxi drivers, drive.

    * Second, this does show that the common, upright dual wheeled human
    powered vehicular device (AKA bicycle) has much more flexability, and
    manuverability then the common quad wheeled engine powered vehicular
    device (AKA car),

    * Third that pedestrians, in Manhatten are just as stupid and clueless
    as anywhere else :-)

    W

  12. ~R said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob

    I think I've seen a similar movie before. It wass called "Death Wish."

  13. "~R" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:Cb4Ve.11000$FW1.2002
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob

    Welcome to my every day world.

    --ag

  14. "~R" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:Cb4Ve.11000$FW1.2002
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob

    Welcome to my every day world.

    --ag

  15. The first time I saw this video was a year ago. The author has a web
    site and on it he has some other videos of similar genre.

    http://www.digave.com/videos/

  16. Kenny said:

    The first time I saw this video was a year ago. The author has a web
    site and on it he has some other videos of similar genre.

    http://www.digave.com/videos/

    yeah...I DLed a bunch a while ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it
    appears that the San Fransisco messengers have a higher cadence. I
    guess they had to learn better technique to deal with those monster hills.

    \\paul
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  17. catzz66 said:
    ~R said:

    http://www.larsonsworld.com/video/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

    "save target as"
    it's just over 50MB, but a thrill to watch these psychos race
    through midtown traffic! Don't try this at home!

    ~Rob

    I think I've seen a similar movie before. It wass called "Death Wish."

    I know a guy who is a bike messenger in NYC. He has alot of deadlines
    to meet everyday with his deliveries. I can't wait to show him this
    video. He takes delight in recounting his NEAR DEATH experiences while
    biking about the city delivering. He is also quite proud of his
    creative ways to get from place to place on time. Some stories I find
    hard to believe. I think I will ask him to video it.
    Maggie

  18. Roger Zoul said:

    Bill Henry <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> bjorn wrote:
    :>> You've got to be 19 or 20 years old to do this !
    :>
    :> Oh, it's insane, and they're probably going even crazier since
    :> there's a camera around.
    :>
    :> But I do find that I see things a lot better on a bike than I would
    :> off it, and actually feel safer at times, plus I take up less space
    :> and can avoid a lot of accidents. Still, you won't see me going the
    :> wrong way down 5th Avenue any time soon.

    I just have a hard time with the guy riding while carrying the camera on his
    helmet...I mean, he was taking some pretty tight spaces without ever looking
    to the side....I just can't see how that's possible. I know in several
    places he intentionally turns his head, but in those tight and quick spots,
    it just seems impossible....

    Two things:
    1) You can see a lot just be moving your eyes, which is good because...
    2) You almost always go where you (turn your head to)look. When you're
    squeezing between cars, looking at the car means you'll hit the car.
    It's just like skiing/snowboarding. The only people who hit trees on
    the slope are the ones who are looking at them (trust me, I learned the
    hardway!!).

    \\paul
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  19. Paul Hobson <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> Roger Zoul wrote:
    :>> Bill Henry <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :>> :> bjorn wrote:
    :>> :>> You've got to be 19 or 20 years old to do this !
    :>> :>
    :>> :> Oh, it's insane, and they're probably going even crazier since
    :>> :> there's a camera around.
    :>> :>
    :>> :> But I do find that I see things a lot better on a bike than I
    :>> :> would
    :>> :> off it, and actually feel safer at times, plus I take up less
    :>> :> space
    :>> :> and can avoid a lot of accidents. Still, you won't see me going
    :>> :> the wrong way down 5th Avenue any time soon.
    :>>
    :>> I just have a hard time with the guy riding while carrying the
    :>> camera on his helmet...I mean, he was taking some pretty tight
    :>> spaces without ever looking to the side....I just can't see how
    :>> that's possible. I know in several places he intentionally turns
    :>> his head, but in those tight and quick spots, it just seems
    :>> impossible....
    :>>
    :>
    :> Two things:
    :> 1) You can see a lot just be moving your eyes, which is good
    :> because...

    Interesting. Did you notice how steady the cam is in that video. I find it
    amazing...

    2) You almost always go where you (turn your head
    :> to)look. When you're squeezing between cars, looking at the car
    :> means you'll hit the car.

    I guess that makes sense when you're moving that fast....but what if you
    can't fit through some space?

    :> It's just like skiing/snowboarding. The only people who hit trees on
    :> the slope are the ones who are looking at them (trust me, I learned
    :> the hardway!!).

    So, does this mean one is better off with eyes closed if a tree is ahead?

    🙂

  20. Roger Zoul said:

    I just have a hard time with the guy riding while carrying the camera on his
    helmet...I mean, he was taking some pretty tight spaces without ever looking
    to the side....I just can't see how that's possible. I know in several
    places he intentionally turns his head, but in those tight and quick spots,
    it just seems impossible....

    Superior peripheral vision combined with experience in traffic.

    R

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.