Oakley dealers in Midlands?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul Hutchings, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent Oakley stockist in the Midlands (birmingham way)?

    Good prices would be a plus, but I'm most interested in finding somwhere with a good stock to try on
    to narrow down what I want..

    Not really sure of a more suitable group to ask in, apologies if it's considered OT.

    regards Paul
    --
    paul <at> spamcop.net

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Paul Hutchings wrote:

    > Good prices would be a plus

    Ah, so merely insanely expensive? ;-/

    > but I'm most interested in finding somwhere with a good stock to try on to narrow down what
    > I want..

    If you don't know yet, don't rule out other brands. I'm not trying to suggest Oakley are bad, or
    even necessarily bad value, but there are alternatives which are also pretty damn good and might
    just have options that you like more (I've always found the Bolles I've tried more comfortable,
    which is just about personal face shape as much as anything else). For example, Bolle, Julbo, Cebe,
    Cateye, Rudy Project, probably a pile of others too.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Paul Hutchings wrote:
    >
    >> Good prices would be a plus
    >
    > Ah, so merely insanely expensive? ;-/

    Well, it's all relative - not wishing to sound like I've money to burn but £40 for a pair of, say
    bolle's or £70 for a pair of Oakleys isn't _that_ much if I keep them a few years..

    >> but I'm most interested in finding somwhere with a good stock to try on to narrow down what
    >> I want..
    >
    > If you don't know yet, don't rule out other brands. I'm not trying to suggest Oakley are bad, or
    > even necessarily bad value, but there are alternatives which are also pretty damn good and might
    > just have options that you like more (I've always found the Bolles I've tried more comfortable,
    > which is just about personal face shape as much as anything else). For example, Bolle, Julbo,
    > Cebe, Cateye, Rudy Project, probably a pile of others too.

    I certainly wouldn't rule them out - it's just a PITA trying to find somewhere that has a good
    selection under one roof without having to pad around town all day long.. I'm racking my brains
    trying to think of any big bike shops in the vicinity and I'm drawing a blank so far (haven't rode
    my bike in a long time sadly)

    regards Paul
    --
    paul <at> spamcop.net

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Paul Hutchings <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, it's all relative - not wishing to sound like I've money to burn but £40 for a pair of, say
    > bolle's or £70 for a pair of Oakleys isn't _that_ much if I keep them a few years..

    But you pay a lot for the "image factor". I have Oakleys, Bolles and Brikos. I hardly ever wear the
    Oakleys - only went I can't find where I put one of the other two.

    Is there a Sunglass Hut anywhere near you? They often have a wide range of different makes
    and models

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  5. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Is there a Sunglass Hut anywhere near you? They often have a wide range of different makes
    > and models

    Only Merryhill. I suspect it's one of the things where when you're walking past places they leap out
    at you but when you sit down and try to think what they are you go blank..

    regards Paul
    --
    paul <at> spamcop.net

  6. Jetman

    Jetman Guest

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Paul Hutchings <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Thanks - ended up at http://www.jjeyewear.co.uk, cheap as anywhere I've seen
    <snip>

    **** me! I went to that site, saw a nice pair of sunnies, clicked on them - 275 quid!!! Now somebody
    has got to be taking the piss. I know you get what you pay for (and much of what you're paying is
    the Oakley brand name) but for that kind of price I want them supplied with someone to run around
    behind me to carry them, never mind a free case.

    I'll stick to my good old Cebes, 50 quid about 5 years ago but still going strong (and you can still
    get replacement lenses). My wife used to swear by RayBans, but she claims her last pair is being
    worn by a lion somewhere in Africa. She was out on a walking safari when a lion ran out of a bush,
    the whole lot of them legged it up the nearest tree and Pamela dropped her sunnies. She never dared

    Have fun! (and watch out for Clarence the cross-eyed RayBan wearer)

    Graeme

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Paul Hutchings wrote:

    > Thanks - ended up at http://www.jjeyewear.co.uk, cheap as anywhere I've=
    =20
    > seen plus you get a =A319 or so case included

    =A319 for a *case*? Egad! What did they do, mill it out of a titanium i= ngot?

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Paul
    Hutchings wrote:

    > Thanks - ended up at http://www.jjeyewear.co.uk, cheap as anywhere I've seen plus you get a £19 or
    > so case included

    £19 for a *case*? Egad! What did they do, mill it out of a titanium ingot?

    What confuses me, as one who has worn glasses since the age of four and struggle to make sense of
    the world without them -- is why anyone with good eyesight would ever want to wear glasses ever?

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tony W wrote:

    > What confuses me, as one who has worn glasses since the age of four and struggle to make sense of
    > the world without them -- is why anyone with good eyesight would ever want to wear glasses ever?

    Though I do wear glasses my sight is good enough to do without them if I'm not sat in front of a
    computer (left eye quite shortsighted, so I can't get at a distance where both focus happily, but I
    can certainly ride without them).

    I wear glasses on the bike partly to hold the prescription adaptor, but even when I didn't have the
    correction I'd wear glasses. Shades to reduce glare, as they're more comfortable than squinting on
    sunny days, clears to keep globs of mud and branches out on the MTB, cold air and flies out at
    speed on the roads. Trundling along around town I wouldn't generally bother, but they're often a
    comfort gain IME.

  11. Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
    >What confuses me, as one who has worn glasses since the age of four and struggle to make sense of
    >the world without them -- is why anyone with good eyesight would ever want to wear glasses ever?

    In hot weather I wear 15 quid plain cycling goggles to prevent insect impacts.

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > What confuses me, as one who has worn glasses since the age of four and struggle to make sense of
    > the world without them -- is why anyone with good eyesight would ever want to wear glasses ever?

    Even though I have good vision my eyes get very watery, red and sore if I ride any distance without
    glasses of some kind. I also suffer from headaches, and riding in bright sunlight without
    sunglasses is a sure fire way to trigger one. There is also the satisfaction of having the
    occasional insect, stone or twig thwack off the plastic and knowing that you've just been spared
    some pain or possibly worse.

    Besides, the great Alf Engers used to say that you should always wear shades so your rivals couldn't
    look into your eyes and see how shattered you were.

    --
    Dave...

  13. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    TW> What confuses me, as one who has worn glasses since the age of four and struggle to make
    TW> sense of the world without them -- is why anyone with good eyesight would ever want to wear
    TW> glasses ever?

    I wear sunglasses quite a lot because I find bright sunlight uncomfortable. They're also handy for
    preventing insects from flying into your eyes when cycling.

    --
    OKAY!! Turn on the sound ONLY for TRYNEL CARPETING, FULLY-EQUIPPED R.V.'S and FLOATATION SYSTEMS!!

  14. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:pou*[email protected]:
    > In hot weather I wear 15 quid plain cycling goggles to prevent insect impacts.

    Similar reason for me wearing them but in all weathers (if it's not insects it's mud/grit). My wife
    wears what she calls her "Happy Glasses" with yellow tinted lenses, every time she puts them on the
    day just seems so much brighter and sunnier!

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Paul Rudin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > TW> What confuses me, as one who has worn glasses since the age of four and struggle to make
    > TW> sense of the world without them -- is why anyone with good eyesight would ever want to wear
    > TW> glasses ever?
    >
    > I wear sunglasses quite a lot because I find bright sunlight uncomfortable.

    hhhmmm.... Garlic ???.... Christian crossses (crosss', cross's, just plain annoyeds ???)

    They're also handy for preventing insects from flying
    > into your eyes when cycling.

    or you could just keep your eyes closed, like nature planned for ;-)

    Dave.