Obscure eBay bikes

In message <[email protected]>,
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes
>There are some very cheap new bikes on eBay like this one:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180176151189&_trksi
>d=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
>
>Has anybody heard of these? I'm looking to get a road bike to get
>started and was hoping to get a cheap-n-cheerful second hand job, but
>often these new no-name bikes are cheaper. Any thoughts?
>
>Peter

And UK postage is £33.95 via Parcel Farce

--
Zak

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:21:20 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
> [email protected] says...
>
>> Also is the handlebar stem on upside down?, or is it meant to slope
>> downwards?
>>

> You don't get a choice with a quill stem.

Well, yes you do.

Quill stems can, and have been manufactured with "slopes" both upwards and
downwards; with adustable slopes, and with adjustable extension - though I
have not yet seen an example of one with both an adjustable slope *and* and
adjustable extension. I would put it forward that there has been rather
more choice with quill stems that with those of the new-fangled variety.

_ said the following on 06/11/2007 09:47:

> Quill stems can, and have been manufactured with "slopes" both upwards and
> downwards;

I think what was meant was that because this was a quill stem, it
couldn't have been put in upside down. If it had been threadless, then
it could have been assembled upside down.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 5 Nov, 23:10, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Brendan Halpin wrote:
> > "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]>
> > writes:

> >> Schraeder valves in themseves aren't that bad, but only the crummiest road
> >> bikes ever had them (from what I can remember). It's one of many things
> >> that rings alarm bells.

> > Anyone else spot the kickstand?

> No. I did notice the two wheel reflectors per wheel though, these are
> the first things a cyclist takes off.
>
> Also is the handlebar stem on upside down?, or is it meant to slope
> downwards?
>
> Martin.

The bars and break levers are just very badly positioned. The same
goes for all the road bikes on the direct sales web site. It looks
like someone got a handle on cheap frames and bits, and decided to set
up a bike company without knowing the first thing about how anything
goes together.

David Lloyd

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:21:20 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
>> [email protected] says...
>>
>>> Also is the handlebar stem on upside down?, or is it meant to slope
>>> downwards?
>>>

>> You don't get a choice with a quill stem.

>Well, yes you do.
>
>Quill stems can, and have been manufactured with "slopes" both upwards and
>downwards; with adustable slopes, and with adjustable extension - though I
>have not yet seen an example of one with both an adjustable slope *and* and
>adjustable extension. I would put it forward that there has been rather
>more choice with quill stems that with those of the new-fangled variety.

I put it forward that none of the choices you mention allow a quill stem
to be put on upside down by mistake.

On 5 Nov, 13:42, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> There are some very cheap new bikes on eBay like this one:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180176151189&_tr...
>
> Has anybody heard of these? I'm looking to get a road bike to get
> started and was hoping to get a cheap-n-cheerful second hand job, but
> often these new no-name bikes are cheaper. Any thoughts?
>
> Peter

The listing has ended. Was it due to end, or do you think that
reporting discrepency between value and advertised RRP to eBay had an
effect?

David Lloyd

In article <[email protected]>, _
[email protected] says...
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:21:20 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
> > [email protected] says...
> >
> >> Also is the handlebar stem on upside down?, or is it meant to slope
> >> downwards?
> >>

> > You don't get a choice with a quill stem.

> Well, yes you do.
>
> Quill stems can, and have been manufactured with "slopes" both upwards and
> downwards; with adustable slopes, and with adjustable extension - though I
> have not yet seen an example of one with both an adjustable slope *and* and
> adjustable extension. I would put it forward that there has been rather
> more choice with quill stems that with those of the new-fangled variety.

You said 'wibble', our survey said 'BLEH'.

David Lloyd wrote:
> On 5 Nov, 13:42, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> There are some very cheap new bikes on eBay like this one:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180176151189&_tr...
>>
>> Has anybody heard of these? I'm looking to get a road bike to get
>> started and was hoping to get a cheap-n-cheerful second hand job, but
>> often these new no-name bikes are cheaper. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Peter

> The listing has ended. Was it due to end, or do you think that
> reporting discrepency between value and advertised RRP to eBay had an
> effect?

The seller has another three of these bikes currently listed - quoting the
same RRP.

I doubt eBay will do anything.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>,
David Lloyd
[email protected] says...
> On 5 Nov, 13:42, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > There are some very cheap new bikes on eBay like this one:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180176151189&_tr...
> >
> > Has anybody heard of these? I'm looking to get a road bike to get
> > started and was hoping to get a cheap-n-cheerful second hand job, but
> > often these new no-name bikes are cheaper. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Peter

> The listing has ended. Was it due to end, or do you think that
> reporting discrepency between value and advertised RRP to eBay had an
> effect?

It was a three day listing that ran for three days. eBay doesn't give
two hoots about dodgy sales practices, although it does act on some of
the larger and more obvious scams (a while ago there was a spate of
multiple listings for top end bikes with 99p starts from zero-rated
sellers that were pulled within a few hours of appearing). Listings
that violate UK consumer protection legislation such as the Trade
Descriptions Act or the Distance Selling Regulations generally don't
provoke any response.

On 06 Nov 2007 11:11:50 +0000 (GMT), Alan Braggins wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>>On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:21:20 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:
>>> In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
>>> [email protected] says...

>>> You don't get a choice with a quill stem.

>>Well, yes you do.
>>
>>Quill stems can, and have been manufactured with "slopes" both upwards and
>>downwards; with adustable slopes, and with adjustable extension - though I
>>have not yet seen an example of one with both an adjustable slope *and* and
>>adjustable extension. I would put it forward that there has been rather
>>more choice with quill stems that with those of the new-fangled variety.

> I put it forward that none of the choices you mention allow a quill stem
> to be put on upside down by mistake.

Bet you a fiver I can post a pic of a quill stem "put on upside down".
Have to have fork blade-mounted brakes arms, though...and I must redact the
comment of not seeing a stem adjustable for both extension and angle; the
simple expedient of removing the more-or-less horizontal part of an
adjustable extension stem, and inserting it from the other side of the
clamp gives a different angle.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

>>>Quill stems can, and have been manufactured with "slopes" both upwards and
>>>downwards; with adustable slopes, and with adjustable extension - though I
>>>have not yet seen an example of one with both an adjustable slope *and* and
>>>adjustable extension. I would put it forward that there has been rather
>>>more choice with quill stems that with those of the new-fangled variety.

>> I put it forward that none of the choices you mention allow a quill stem
>> to be put on upside down by mistake.

>Bet you a fiver I can post a pic of a quill stem "put on upside down".

I could have taken one myself if I wanted to, but it would have no relevance
whatsoever (and I concluded that underseat steering with that setup wasn't
going to work). (Just having fork mounted brake posts isn't enough by the
way, forks often have a smaller inner diameter coming from underneath.)

Wow. A torrent of responses. Many thanks for all your advice, although
it took me a while to work out what a BSO was...

My problem is that I'm a mountain biker and I know nothing about road
bikes - I want a cheap road bike to try it out and see whether it
agrees with me. For purchasing decisions I'm currently operating on a
rather ineffective "it looks shiny" policy.

I would prefer to get a second hand bike for a variety of reasons, but
I'm actually have trouble finding one. Cheap second hand mountain
bikes are very common, but not so much with road bikes. Can anybody
recommend a good website for classified ads? I'm in Glasgow. What I
had in mind was a old but sturdy thing for £50-100 so I can try it out
and buy something better if I enjoy it.

Peter

[email protected] wrote:
> Wow. A torrent of responses. Many thanks for all your advice, although
> it took me a while to work out what a BSO was...
>
> My problem is that I'm a mountain biker and I know nothing about road
> bikes - I want a cheap road bike to try it out and see whether it
> agrees with me. For purchasing decisions I'm currently operating on a
> rather ineffective "it looks shiny" policy.
>
> I would prefer to get a second hand bike for a variety of reasons, but
> I'm actually have trouble finding one. Cheap second hand mountain
> bikes are very common, but not so much with road bikes. Can anybody
> recommend a good website for classified ads? I'm in Glasgow. What I
> had in mind was a old but sturdy thing for £50-100 so I can try it out
> and buy something better if I enjoy it.

If you are in Glasgow, it might be worth a trip over here to Edinburgh
to pay a visit to the bike station http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/ who
take old bikes and refurbish them using as much recycled parts as
possible. They are offered to the public for sale on Saturdays, but you
will not know what is available until you turn up. It might be worth
getting there early to get the widest choice. Prices vary depending on
the bike from within your budget to a lot over it. All bikes come with a
limited period warranty.

It don't know if a similar scheme exists in Glasgow, it might be worth
looking around.

Another alternative would be to use freecycle and see if anyone is
wanting rid of an unused machine. Someone on the group got his hands on
a very nice machine a little while back.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"This seems like a case where we need to shoot the messenger."
(Charlie Kaufman on Cypherpunks list)

> It don't know if a similar scheme exists in Glasgow, it might be worth
> looking around.

http://www.commonwheel.org.uk/ has three branches in Glasgow. They
are a charity that refurbish old bikes. Prices are not rock bottom but
you are getting a bike which has had a complete strip down, check,
grease, then reassembly with new tyres, brake cables, and blocks.
Worth a look. A few weeks ago the east end branch had a Flying Scot
in a 25" frame. I decided against it as the forks had been welded. I
got an old 70s or 80s Elswick Stag to use as a dry weather commuter.

>From the quick look at the bikes they had in Maryhill and in the east

end it's maybe not the place if you are looking for a bike with up to
date components. If an old 531 framed bike from a few years back would
fit the bill you may get one.

Iain

[email protected] wrote:

> My problem is that I'm a mountain biker and I know nothing about road
> bikes - I want a cheap road bike to try it out and see whether it
> agrees with me. For purchasing decisions I'm currently operating on a
> rather ineffective "it looks shiny" policy.

Go to a local club and borrow one for a wee while. That way you'll know
if a /decent/ one agrees with you. If it does then I'm sure the other
folk will be happy to advise you on suitable emporia to buy from, or vet
second hand possibilities.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I would prefer to get a second hand bike for a variety of reasons, but
> I'm actually have trouble finding one. Cheap second hand mountain
> bikes are very common, but not so much with road bikes. Can anybody
> recommend a good website for classified ads? I'm in Glasgow. What I
> had in mind was a old but sturdy thing for £50-100 so I can try it out
> and buy something better if I enjoy it.

The sort of road bike you're thinking of tends to be given away or just left
sat in people's sheds for all eternity because nobody wants "racers" anymore
other than roadies, who want something reasonably late and great. You might
have luck at boot sales or just asking around. Maybe even freecycle.

I picked up my road bike for £20, IIRC someone on this group fished the same
model out of the humber (Raleigh Banana). You'll have to be prepared to
replace cables, tyres and brakes on most old bikes, but again, decent off
brand stuff can be picked up quite cheaply or for nowt - someone here gave
me some cannondale dual pivots and a front wheel to replace a steel wheel
that came on the bike for free, which was very good of them. Again, a used
front wheel and dual pivots are things that will fetch very little on ebay
and the like, so it's a case of asking around again. IMO it's far more
likely that you'll get something in need of a bit of fixing for bugger all
than find something half decent.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> David Lloyd
> [email protected] says...
>> On 5 Nov, 13:42, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > There are some very cheap new bikes on eBay like this one:
>> >
>> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180176151189&_tr...
>> >
>> > Has anybody heard of these? I'm looking to get a road bike to get
>> > started and was hoping to get a cheap-n-cheerful second hand job, but
>> > often these new no-name bikes are cheaper. Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > Peter

>> The listing has ended. Was it due to end, or do you think that
>> reporting discrepency between value and advertised RRP to eBay had an
>> effect?
>>

> It was a three day listing that ran for three days. eBay doesn't give
> two hoots about dodgy sales practices, although it does act on some of
> the larger and more obvious scams (a while ago there was a spate of
> multiple listings for top end bikes with 99p starts from zero-rated
> sellers that were pulled within a few hours of appearing). Listings
> that violate UK consumer protection legislation such as the Trade
> Descriptions Act or the Distance Selling Regulations generally don't
> provoke any response.

Do you think Trading Standards would be any more interested?

David Lloyd (on holiday)

<[email protected]> a écrit:

> My problem is that I'm a mountain biker and I know nothing
> about road bikes - I want a cheap road bike to try it out and
> see whether it agrees with me.

> What I had in mind was a old but sturdy thing for £50-100 so
> I can try it out and buy something better if I enjoy it.

Swapping the off-road tyres for a pair of narrow slicks will turn an XC
mountain bike into a reasonable road-going machine, the more so if it has a
lockable or rigid fork. It won't feel much like a road bike, but it will
give you a sense of whether or not you enjoy road riding. If you want to
spend a little more money, you could consider a spare pair of light wheels
with a close ratio cassette.

Bikes in the price range you mentioned are likely to need money (and time)
spending to bring them up to standard. Parts are likely to be worn, poor
quality, or obsolete. If you have to pay shop prices, replacing the tyres,
chain, cables, brake blocks and freewheel or cassette could easily double
the cost of the bike.

James Thomson

[email protected] wrote:

> What I
> had in mind was a old but sturdy thing for £50-100 so I can try it out
> and buy something better if I enjoy it.

Problem may well be that you don't enjoy it much because it's "sturdy".
Imagine a similar approach for a roadie looking into MTBs: "well, I got
this big old rigid MTB to give it a try, but it was bloody hard work to
ride and my wrists were shaken to hell and back, I don't think I'll
bother with that again..."

Thanks to the sterling efforts of the UCI in barring progress, today's
road bike isn't that far removed from one 20 years ago, unlike MTBs, but
there has been /some/ progress...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

[email protected]
[email protected] says...
> Wow. A torrent of responses. Many thanks for all your advice, although
> it took me a while to work out what a BSO was...
>
> My problem is that I'm a mountain biker and I know nothing about road
> bikes - I want a cheap road bike to try it out and see whether it
> agrees with me. For purchasing decisions I'm currently operating on a
> rather ineffective "it looks shiny" policy.
>
> I would prefer to get a second hand bike for a variety of reasons, but
> I'm actually have trouble finding one. Cheap second hand mountain
> bikes are very common, but not so much with road bikes. Can anybody
> recommend a good website for classified ads? I'm in Glasgow. What I
> had in mind was a old but sturdy thing for £50-100 so I can try it out
> and buy something better if I enjoy it.

You'll not fully appreciate the advantages of a proper road bike if you
get a 'sturdy' one - you might as well stick skinny tyres and a smaller
cassette on your ATB.