Odd cycle clothing sizes.

Simon Mason

Guest
Since I don't like to just wear lycra shorts when on my bike (modesty), I
wear another pair on top. I really liked these Endura Tekra shorts I got
from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5220000204

The medium pair I paid nearly 50 quid for were worn out, so I saw that
they'd been reduced to 9 quid. Only snag is they are only available in
small.

Anyway, for that price I got two pairs as I thought I could squeeze into
them. When they arrived I tried to get a pair on and they certainly were
small! I just about got into them with a struggle and after a while they
stretched out a bit. After a few weeks the inevitable happened and they
split at the back.

I imagined that the other pair I bought would be just as difficult to get on
being size small as well, but lo and behold, they fitted perfectly! In fact
the legs were a bit baggy if anything. There's no way they were size small
despite the label, so I must conclude that someone had put a small tag in a
pair of mediums. Only thing is, do I get another pair and take pot luck on
getting one that fits or a one that's a genuine small? Hmmm.

--
Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:

> I imagined that the other pair I bought would be just as difficult to
> get on being size small as well, but lo and behold, they fitted
> perfectly! In fact the legs were a bit baggy if anything. There's no
> way they were size small despite the label, so I must conclude that
> someone had put a small tag in a pair of mediums. Only thing is, do I
> get another pair and take pot luck on getting one that fits or a one
> that's a genuine small? Hmmm.

Take pot luck and if they don't fit flog them on eBay.

Simon Mason wrote:
> Since I don't like to just wear lycra shorts when on my bike (modesty), I
> wear another pair on top. I really liked these Endura Tekra shorts I got
> from Wiggle
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5220000204
>
><snip>
> I imagined that the other pair I bought would be just as difficult to get on
> being size small as well, but lo and behold, they fitted perfectly! In fact
> the legs were a bit baggy if anything. There's no way they were size small
> despite the label, so I must conclude that someone had put a small tag in a
> pair of mediums. Only thing is, do I get another pair and take pot luck on
> getting one that fits or a one that's a genuine small? Hmmm.
>
> --
> Simon M.

Lusso are a bit like this, but only for their bib tights. I have seen
three supposedly identical pairs next to each other and they were all
different and all fitted differently. Lovely kit but I wouldnt buy
them mail order. Everything else seems to be standard sizes.

Stan Cox

"Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Lusso are a bit like this, but only for their bib tights. I have seen
> three supposedly identical pairs next to each other and they were all
> different and all fitted differently. Lovely kit but I wouldnt buy them
> mail order. Everything else seems to be standard sizes.

Isn't that odd? You would think that there wouldn't be that much variation.
I mean I've bought pairs of trousers and never had this sort of problem.

--

Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:

> "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Lusso are a bit like this, but only for their bib tights. I have seen
>>three supposedly identical pairs next to each other and they were all
>>different and all fitted differently. Lovely kit but I wouldnt buy them
>>mail order. Everything else seems to be standard sizes.

> Isn't that odd? You would think that there wouldn't be that much variation.
> I mean I've bought pairs of trousers and never had this sort of problem.
>
> --
>
> Simon M.

The LBS that I saw these in said that they buy "remnant" pieces of
roubaix material and make the bib tights out of them. May not be true
of course and I will buy another pair. When I find a pair that fit :)

Stan Cox

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> of wrote:

>Since I don't like to just wear lycra shorts when on my bike (modesty), I
>wear another pair on top. I really liked these Endura Tekra shorts I got
>from Wiggle
>
>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5220000204
>
>The medium pair I paid nearly 50 quid for were worn out, so I saw that
>they'd been reduced to 9 quid. Only snag is they are only available in
>small.
>
>Anyway, for that price I got two pairs as I thought I could squeeze into
>them. When they arrived I tried to get a pair on and they certainly were
>small! I just about got into them with a struggle and after a while they
>stretched out a bit. After a few weeks the inevitable happened and they
>split at the back.
>
>I imagined that the other pair I bought would be just as difficult to get on
>being size small as well, but lo and behold, they fitted perfectly! In fact
>the legs were a bit baggy if anything. There's no way they were size small
>despite the label, so I must conclude that someone had put a small tag in a
>pair of mediums. Only thing is, do I get another pair and take pot luck on
>getting one that fits or a one that's a genuine small? Hmmm.

Have you still got the split pair? If so, then it should be possible to use
the fabric from the split pair to let out a pair that are too small. The
easiest way I can think of is to add a gusset of extra fabric into the seams
down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent sewing
machine.
--
Follow-ups to alt.nobody.really.cares
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Have you still got the split pair? If so, then it should be possible to
> use
> the fabric from the split pair to let out a pair that are too small. The
> easiest way I can think of is to add a gusset of extra fabric into the
> seams
> down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent
> sewing
> machine.

Thanks for that Steph, but for 9 quid I threw them away.

--
Simon M.

Steph Peters wrote:

> down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent sewing
> machine.

ICBW, but I think you need an overlocker to work with lycra, a typical
sewing machine won't do it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Steph Peters wrote:
>
>> down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent
>> sewing
>> machine.

> ICBW, but I think you need an overlocker to work with lycra, a typical
> sewing machine won't do it.

Well that's OK 'cos I don't possess a sewing machine of any description :)

--
Simon M.

> Steph Peters wrote:
>
> > down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent

sewing
> > machine.

> ICBW, but I think you need an overlocker to work with lycra, a typical
> sewing machine won't do it.

To do a decent job, maybe. I know people who have done lycra work with (I
think) a simple straight stitch, possibly zig-zag, certainly nothing fancier
than that. Not ideal, as these don't stretch, but seem to do the job.
(I do remember one sewing machine I used had a 'stretch' stitch, which sort
of doubled back on itself to give the required movement - I'd have thought
that was fine on lycra.)

chers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> of wrote:

>"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Steph Peters wrote:
>>
>> > down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent

>sewing
>> > machine.

>> ICBW, but I think you need an overlocker to work with lycra, a typical
>> sewing machine won't do it.

>To do a decent job, maybe. I know people who have done lycra work with (I
>think) a simple straight stitch, possibly zig-zag, certainly nothing fancier
>than that. Not ideal, as these don't stretch, but seem to do the job.
>(I do remember one sewing machine I used had a 'stretch' stitch, which sort
>of doubled back on itself to give the required movement - I'd have thought
>that was fine on lycra.)

Zig-zag on an ordinary machine will stretch a bit, but not as much as
overlocking. The result is OK, takes longer to do than overlocking. But I
thought that the shorts concerned were non stretch anyway - the fabric is
described as ripstop, which I don't think has any stretch.

Steph
Currently sewing correspondent of uk.rec.cycling

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> of wrote:

>"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Have you still got the split pair? If so, then it should be possible to
>> use
>> the fabric from the split pair to let out a pair that are too small. The
>> easiest way I can think of is to add a gusset of extra fabric into the
>> seams
>> down the legs where they change colour. Half hour job with a decent
>> sewing
>> machine.

>Thanks for that Steph, but for 9 quid I threw them away.

So buy 2 pairs now. You will get at least one usable pair for 18 quid, and
possibly 2.
--
The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination.
But the combination is locked up in the safe. Peter De Vries
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Zig-zag on an ordinary machine will stretch a bit, but not as much as
> overlocking. The result is OK, takes longer to do than overlocking. But I
> thought that the shorts concerned were non stretch anyway - the fabric is
> described as ripstop, which I don't think has any stretch.

Yes, there is no stretch at all - that's why the small size split.

--
Simon M.