Rather OT: Odd roadside adornments

Tim Dunne

Guest
This is a bit strange.

While out and about on the bike this afternoon, zipping around east
Staffordshire (specifically between Shuttington & Seckington, four or five
miles from Tamworth) On a remote and quite featureless road I passed by a
substation in an enclosure - normal enough. On the fence around it, at the
roadside, were cable tied 9 or so different childrens teddy bears. All
white, quite symmetrical in layout. At first I thought it was a roadside
shrine to an accident, but there were no cards or flowers. Shaking my head,
I left and rode on.

About a mile or so further on toward Seckinton, I came accross this:

http://www.nervouscyclist.org/odd.jpg

It's the work of the same hand. It's on a fieldedge fence, at the roadside,
no buildings for some distance. Again, there were no cards or flowers, but
it's obviously drawn attention because the grass before it has been stomped
flat. Something about the way some of those guys have been fixed suggests
that this wasn't done with great affection.

Has anyone got any idea what this is about? It's creeping me out...

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it’s

Tim Dunne <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>This is a bit strange.
>http://www.nervouscyclist.org/odd.jpg
>
>Something about the way some of those guys have been fixed suggests
>that this wasn't done with great affection.
>Has anyone got any idea what this is about? It's creeping me out...

Gamekeepers used to do that. You kill a few squirrels or magpies or
whatever, and you hang the corpses up to warn off the others.

Or highwaymen, or pirates. Would it work for speeding motorists, d'you
think?

--
Sue ];:))

Why aren't we demanding regular retests for motor drivers?
It's obvious a lot of them would fail so that'd solve the congestion problem too.

On Sep 29, 5:53 pm, Sue White <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tim Dunne <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>
> >This is a bit strange.
> >http://www.nervouscyclist.org/odd.jpg

> >Something about the way some of those guys have been fixed suggests
> >that this wasn't done with great affection.
> >Has anyone got any idea what this is about? It's creeping me out...

> Gamekeepers used to do that. You kill a few squirrels or magpies or
> whatever, and you hang the corpses up to warn off the others.

I was wondering about that. Maybe it is an attempt to scare off
invasive species? I wonder if it would have worked for zebra
mussells?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

> Or highwaymen, or pirates. Would it work for speeding motorists, d'you
> think?

In message <[email protected]>, John
Kane <[email protected]> writes
>On Sep 29, 5:53 pm, Sue White <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tim Dunne <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>>
>> >This is a bit strange.
>> >http://www.nervouscyclist.org/odd.jpg

I am almost certain that what we have here is "art". For example, if you
visit the Glasgow gallery of modern art you will find lots of this
infinitely depressing genre. I am only surprised that the artist hasn't
added a skull or 2 to juxtapose the fluffiness and childishness of the
soft toys with the finality and futility of life. For some reason
certain artists like doing that.

Even more depressing is the possibility that the artist is covertly
filming peoples reactions to finding his outdoor display so that he
(probably) can make a looped video to show as part of an "installation".
--
geomannie (with artists in the family)

John Kane <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>On Sep 29, 5:53 pm, Sue White <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tim Dunne <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>>
>> Gamekeepers used to do that. You kill a few squirrels or magpies or
>> whatever, and you hang the corpses up to warn off the others.

>I was wondering about that. Maybe it is an attempt to scare off
>invasive species? I wonder if it would have worked for zebra
>mussells?

I've seen whole beaches of shells from dead bivalves, and sure enough
there were no bivalves living on the beaches.
The effect seems to be short range though, as the rocks nearby were
encrusted with them.

--

On Oct 1, 5:36 pm, Sue White <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Kane <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>
> >On Sep 29, 5:53 pm, Sue White <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Tim Dunne <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

> >> Gamekeepers used to do that. You kill a few squirrels or magpies or
> >> whatever, and you hang the corpses up to warn off the others.

> >I was wondering about that. Maybe it is an attempt to scare off
> >invasive species? I wonder if it would have worked for zebra
> >mussells?

> I've seen whole beaches of shells from dead bivalves, and sure enough
> there were no bivalves living on the beaches.
> The effect seems to be short range though, as the rocks nearby were
> encrusted with them.

Now you tell us! We could have been pasting dead zebra mussells all
along the lakes' shores.

On Oct 2, 7:47 pm, Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:27:15 GMT, "Tim Dunne"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >This is a bit strange.
> >http://www.nervouscyclist.org/odd.jpg
> >Has anyone got any idea what this is about? It's creeping me out...

> More creepy artwork:
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/02/nhead...

Good interview with Fiona Gould on As It Happens (CBC Radio ) last
night. She seemed to have some suspicions about the carver.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada