Rather than panniers

elyob

Guest
I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter presenters, I
think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him to post offices
with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back home. Is this able to
be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks a security risk?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter presenters,
>I think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him to post offices
>with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back home. Is this able to
>be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks a security risk?

It's still ok. You just address your parcel to the post office you want it
to go to, then use the magic words "post restante" then the town, cross
there palms with silver and that's it really.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter presenters,

> think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him to post offices
> with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back home. Is this able

> be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks a security risk?

Socks on Hereford market are £2 for 6 pairs - good socks they are.

What's the postage on socks? Is it more economical to buy 6 pairs of socks
in a market town every 6 days and throw the old ones away?

John

bob watkinson wrote:

>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter presenters,
>>I think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him to post offices
>>with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back home. Is this able to
>>be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks a security risk?
>>

>It's still ok. You just address your parcel to the post office you want it
>to go to, then use the magic words "post restante" then the town, cross
>there palms with silver and that's it really.

It's free, apart from the postage that is.
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?mediaId=600012&catId=400040

elyob wrote:
> I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter presenters, I
> think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him to post offices
> with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back home. Is this able to
> be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks a security risk?

Used this all the time when i was touring NZ and Aus. Not for clothes
but for mail from home and from friends on the road. The Post Offices
were good meeting places for travellers.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bob watkinson wrote:
>

>>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter
>>>presenters,
>>>I think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him to post
>>>offices
>>>with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back home. Is this able
>>>be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks a security risk?
>>>

>>It's still ok. You just address your parcel to the post office you want it
>>to go to, then use the magic words "post restante" then the town, cross
>>there palms with silver and that's it really.

> It's free, apart from the postage that is.
> http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?mediaId=600012&catId=400040

That's cool. It seems a good way to do LEJOG without carrying too much or
having a backup driver.

Thanks for the info.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>> I seem to remember a bit of trivia about one of the Blue Peter
>> presenters, I think John Noakes, who used to send parcels ahead of him
>> to post offices with clean clothes, and then send his dirty ones back
>> home. Is this able to be done nowadays, or post 9/11 are my smelly socks
>> a security risk?
>>

> Used this all the time when i was touring NZ and Aus. Not for clothes but
> for mail from home and from friends on the road. The Post Offices were
> good meeting places for travellers.

Can this be down in the EU?
Chris

Chris Nowak wrote:
]supply through Post Offices]

> Can this be down in the EU?

The EU doesn't have a unified postal service/system: you'd have to check
with the post offices in individual member states whether or not it's
possible.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:54:24 +0000,
Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Chris Nowak wrote:
> ]supply through Post Offices]
>
>> Can this be down in the EU?

> The EU doesn't have a unified postal service/system: you'd have to check
> with the post offices in individual member states whether or not it's
> possible.

Poste Restante used to be much more common than now. I would guess that
most European countries (whether in the EU or not) would operate such a
system - however it is usually limited to main post-offices.

You have to check the individual countries for addressing requirements
for the letter/parcel anyway.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

"Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:54:24 +0000,
> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Chris Nowak wrote:
>> ]supply through Post Offices]
>>
>>> Can this be down in the EU?

>> The EU doesn't have a unified postal service/system: you'd have to check
>> with the post offices in individual member states whether or not it's
>> possible.

> Poste Restante used to be much more common than now. I would guess that
> most European countries (whether in the EU or not) would operate such a
> system - however it is usually limited to main post-offices.
>
> You have to check the individual countries for addressing requirements
> for the letter/parcel anyway.
>
> --
> Andy Leighton => [email protected]
> "The Lord is my shepherd, but we still lost the sheep dog trials"
> - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Thanks for your replies
Chris