Off the bike

G

Been off the bike for almost 2 weeks (it hurts, I know!). How should I get back into traiing? Pick up where I left off right away, or do a few medium intensity rides first?

What does your body say? If you feel tired, take it easy.

ahhh yes following what your body says is the key to reaching your peak.

Most serious cyclists are to dedicated to take any notice, this can lead to having a cold that lasts 3 months or poor form from over training etc....

Your always gonna do better if you go into a race slightly underdone, than if you are slightly overtrained

later!

Yip, admin is 100% right. Recovery is a very important part of your training. Rather skip a training session than skip a rest and recovery session.

I had to stop training for a while due to other duties I had to do. So basically, what I am worried about is loss of fitness. Generally, how much fitness will I have lost if I stopped training for 2 weeks?

heh altweg u will have lost your ege thats for sure. I know cause i did not practice hard enough for 2 weeks and i just could not go as fast and feel as good :) you just take it easyier though . What sort of distances do you do?, do you ride hard/fast or dordle?. If you dont ride fast you wont notice much diference id say. if i was you i would do a few morning rides and a big one say at least 100k and then you will be back :) :) 8) 8) id say 1 week to get back into shape.

Two weeks is a nice rest. Your body will appreciate that. Nothing will really change in two weeks apart from your muscles and butt recovering some damage.
While resting, keep your legs active by walking up stairs instead of using the elevator or going for a walk around the block. This will 'remind' your muscles that you are an active athlete.

Thanks. 1 week to get back in shape is pretty reasonable.

As for the stairs thing, that is what I always do here at the office. I never take the elevator, and I always run up/down the stairs.

Cheers!

i've had 10days off my bike, b/c I crashed and hurt my arm. I was feeling the "creeping edginess" become just general bad mood. I've done a spin class today & feel a little more sane. Tried a trainer yesterday & it really is a poor substitute for a real ride. I'll go crazy if I'm in plaster for 6 more weeks & can't get out riding.

Vo2 said:
Two weeks is a nice rest. Your body will appreciate that. Nothing will really change in two weeks apart from your muscles and butt recovering some damage.
While resting, keep your legs active by walking up stairs instead of using the elevator or going for a walk around the block. This will 'remind' your muscles that you are an active athlete.

That's not strictly true. There are several detraining effects that will occur in two weeks, starting within 3-5 days of total rest.

To get rolling again after a break, I normally find it useful to go for 1-2 rides of 1-2 hours at a moderate endurance pace to 'find my legs' before I start training again. After two weeks you will lose a good amount of your ability to handle volume on a week to week basis. Consider spending at least 3 weeks, preferably longer (dependent on when you need to race) going 'back to the well' of SST, focusing on rebuilding your general aerobic fitness. Don't make the mistake of hitting out at an identical volume to what you did before and then getting overly fatigued or sick.

The listen to your body advice is good.