Off to register a complaint...

cfsmtb said:
Brilliant. You're taken a pragmatic approach to the situation. Afterall, the police have to be educated regarding vehicles being utilised as a weapons. And seriously, they hate extra officework. A win/win situation. You have a difference. BTW, can I have your permission to link your story to the WoJ list/fourm? ta. :)

With Johnnies new laws, just go to the police station, tell them a man is driving an unidentified truck and acting very nervous, unreasonably agitated in the vincinity of major terrorist target X. He'll get two weeks in jail and electronic tracking for a year.

cfsmtb wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > He's now recorded as having a complaint made against him, and he's had a
> > nice phone call at night telling him off. I'd call it a minor success. I
> > never wanted it to go further - if I had, I would've gotten witness
> > details at the time of the incident.
> >
> > Tam *power to the people, not the machines*

> Brilliant. You're taken a pragmatic approach to the situation.
> Afterall, the police have to be educated regarding vehicles being
> utilised as a weapons. And seriously, they hate extra officework. A
> win/win situation. You have a difference. BTW, can I have your
> permission to link your story to the WoJ list/fourm? ta. :)
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Permission granted :)

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Mark and I went to the police station last night to lodge a complaint
against the road rage we received yesterday. I found it very unusual
that police use first names... I spoke to Michelle (I think). I
explained what happened and she agreed it was inappropriate behaviour
and wrote down all the details.

She made some comment about the threat of violence being difficult to
charge for if there was no clear intent, i.e. if they were not actually
wielding a weapon, "For example, if he said he was going to kill you and
was holding a knife at the time." I said, "But he was wielding a weapon.
He was threatening to run me over with his vehicle, and he was driving
the vehicle at the time. He intended to use his vehicle as a weapon.
Surely the law would see it that way?" She agreed with this.

I made it very clear that I am not easily intimidated and that I
experience minor road rage on a daily basis; the fact that I found this
event scary was a pretty good sign that a less confident/experience
rider would have ended up in a bad way. I also explained that, had I
not managed to clip in quickly or had I been in a bad gear for take-off,
he would've hit me.

She asked what I wanted done - did I want them to look at it as a
traffic offence, eventually end up in court... or did I want them to
call him? I didn't think any good would've come out of taking it
further... I just wanted him to know he wasn't anonymous and he wasn't
getting off clean.

By the time Mark dropped me off at home, Mum was already answering the
phone call from Michelle. She had phoned the offender and told him his
actions were inappropriate, that it was perfectly legal for us to ride
two abreast, and that what he had done was a chargeable offence.

Of course, he claimed that we had ridden around him to take the front of
the lights and block him in. Now, even if we had done that, his actions
would've been inappropriate and illegal. However we didn't do that - we
rolled up to the lights as they turned red, and there were no other cars
there at the time. And the next two cars that came along chose to use
the other lane (which in hindsight is a real shame, as they seemed quite
sensible and would've been nice to have as a barrier between us and the
******).

He's now recorded as having a complaint made against him, and he's had a
nice phone call at night telling him off. I'd call it a minor success. I
never wanted it to go further - if I had, I would've gotten witness
details at the time of the incident.

Tam *power to the people, not the machines*

Hurrah to you. And on this occasion, hurrah to the Qld coppers who did the right thing.

SteveA

PiledHigher said:
With Johnnies new laws, just go to the police station, tell them a man is driving an unidentified truck and acting very nervous, unreasonably agitated in the vincinity of major terrorist target X. He'll get two weeks in jail and electronic tracking for a year.
ROFLMAO - Love it, I even have the terrorist hotline programmed in my phone :D

PiledHigher said:
With Johnnies new laws, just go to the police station, tell them a man is driving an unidentified truck and acting very nervous, unreasonably agitated in the vincinity of major terrorist target X. He'll get two weeks in jail and electronic tracking for a year.

Electronic tracking? I'd hope he gets electrodes attached to his ......

Isn't that what ASIO is now allowed to do? But only for periods up to 2 weeks mind.

SteveA

On 09/09/05 at 11:44:21 Tamyka Bell somehow managed to type:

> Mark and I went to the police station last night to lodge a complaint

<snip>

> Tam *power to the people, not the machines*

Good stuff Tam. Sounds like a good outcome. You're satisfied that the
police actually did something and he's had something of a lecture. Just
let me know if you want some super and diesel - you'll have to supply
your own tin and sparkler though...:)

--
Humbug

SteveA wrote:

> Isn't that what ASIO is now allowed to do? But only for periods up to
> 2 weeks mind.

They are now. You can be held for two weeks without charge. When they do
release you you cannot tell your family or boss where you've been. If you
do, they can jail you. They can make you wear a tagging bracelet for 12
months without charging you with anything.

Also they can hold a person as young as 14 for 48 hours without notifying
their parents. They wanted to be able to hold 12 year olds.
Hello democracy! The politics of fear.

As a matter of anecdote- the partial bomb they found by the lift in the Kuta
Paradiso hotel last week was right outside the room we stayed in last month.

Theo
I refuse to be made afraid of terrorists, or my own Government.

Theo Bekkers said:
You can be held for two weeks without charge. When they do
release you you cannot tell your family or boss where you've been. If you
do, they can jail you. They can make you wear a tagging bracelet for 12
months without charging you with anything.

Also they can hold a person as young as 14 for 48 hours without notifying
their parents. They wanted to be able to hold 12 year olds.
Hello democracy! The politics of fear.
Theo
I refuse to be made afraid of terrorists, or my own Government.
So what kind of 'suspicion' do they need to hold someone? FFS it sounds like a sure way to make someone into a terrorist. If you were held for 2 weeks, not allowed to tell anyone where you were, lost your job etc. doesn't the govt think that you'd be a little bit ****** off? ****** off enough to maybe bomb the govt?

Peka wrote:
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:

>> I refuse to be made afraid of terrorists, or my own Government.

>So what kind of 'suspicion' do they need to hold someone?

None they have to justify. Maybe your paranoid neighbour rang them.
Hey, I voted for the opposition. Not that they'd be any better.

Theo

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Kathy wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:
>>

>>>I had an irate, small-truck driver demand I get off the road, while Mark
>>>and I were waiting side by side at the traffic lights. We were there
>>>first - it's not like we had pushed through, and there was another lane
>>>anyway. He told me to get out of the way. I pointed out I was doing
>>>nothing wrong and I would not move. He said, "Fine, I'll fscking run
>>>over you," and I pointed out that such behaviour was illegal and would
>>>result in prosecution. He went on with these two statements for a bit.
>>>When the lights changed, Mark and I did a very clean, fast take-off.
>>>Despite the fact that bikes accelerate better than trucks, this guy
>>>revved it, laid on the horn continually. He sped up until he nearly
>>>clipped my rear wheel, then slammed on the brakes, and did this
>>>repeatedly as we crossed the intersection. Once we were across, I could
>>>move over to let him through... which would have been my intent from the
>>>start, had he asked. I yelled out to onlookers, "What the -? Did you see
>>>that? Did I deserve that?" and they looked at me blankly, except for one
>>>guy who looked ****** off... at me or at the driver? Anyway, it was a
>>>white truck, probably a Mitsubishi Canter (?) with a tray, 464DEP,
>>>happened around 0645 this morning at the Logan/Kessels Rd
>>>intersection... and we caught him before Klumpp Rd. ******!

>>Yeah sometimes I wish evil ex was around. Be nice to have her wander up
>>to the ****** and arrest him for dangerous driving. :) Ahhh well.

> Hmmmm. Maybe I should consider a new career...
>
> Tam

Nah.. then there would be two female cylists that I couldnt happily
share a beer with. :)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Kathy wrote:
>
>>Stuart Lamble wrote:

>>>Lotte only has a shotgun. For an RPG, I suspect Tam will be contacting a
>>>friend in the military ...
>>>

>>Firepower.. I love fire power.
>>
>>My dad always said his idea of a fair fight was him in a MBT versus a
>>bloke 3 km away with a pistol.

> That sounds fair. Hehehe but MBTs come in pairs!
>
> Tam

Truesy. Mutual support is a nice thing.
When I was at Bovington I got some nice pics of their Matilda. Dads
first command (before cents) was a Matilda :) Yeah a Matilda aint a
modern MTB but it has decent armour.. and that aint no pistol :)

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> writes:

> I hate wearing my cleats out by walking around on them.

Ah yes. I don't have that problem: toe clips... you know, the ones
*without* the clips, as opposed to the clipless ones *with* the clips.

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve
a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more
glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through
which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the
day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his
life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most
elevated and critical hour.

-- Henry David Thoreau, "Where I Live"

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I had an irate, small-truck driver demand I get off the road, while
> Mark and I were waiting side by side at the traffic lights. We were
> there first - it's not like we had pushed through, and there was
> another lane anyway. He told me to get out of the way. I pointed out I
> was doing nothing wrong and I would not move. He said, "Fine, I'll
> fscking run over you," and I pointed out that such behaviour was
> illegal and would result in prosecution. He went on with these two
> statements for a bit. When the lights changed, Mark and I did a very
> clean, fast take-off. Despite the fact that bikes accelerate better
> than trucks, this guy revved it, laid on the horn continually. He sped
> up until he nearly clipped my rear wheel, then slammed on the brakes,
> and did this repeatedly as we crossed the intersection. Once we were
> across, I could move over to let him through... which would have been
> my intent from the start, had he asked. I yelled out to onlookers,
> "What the -? Did you see that? Did I deserve that?" and they looked at
> me blankly, except for one guy who looked ****** off... at me or at
> the driver? Anyway, it was a white truck, probably a Mitsubishi Canter
> (?) with a tray, 464DEP, happened around 0645 this morning at the
> Logan/Kessels Rd intersection... and we caught him before Klumpp Rd.
> ******!

Report it.

This truck driver is actually guilty of assault so if you have witnesses
and report it the police must act. Failure to do so is a breach of the
Police Powers Act.

If you pursue it so will they. They may choose to warn the bloke but
really they should take him before a magistrate. You just need to make
it clear that you want to press charges.

Arguably there are a few other charges that could apply but that is more
iffy. Assualt is a serious offence and the driver would have to hope
that there were no other similar charges.

Given the size of the vehicle it sounds like he could operate it with
only a Medium Rigid license and he may not have a national heavy. If
that's the case then it is unlikely that anyone will take action against
the license unless a charge of dangerous driving was in the offing.

Do you know who is employer was? Could be worth having a go at them or
their insurer.

Cheers

BrettM

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Jock wrote:
>>
>> good luck. Nothing will happen.
>> Jock

> This is where it comes in handy that there's a certain AFP traffic guy
> who has a crush on me...
>
> Tam

AFP traffic? WTF - the AFP has no traffic jurisdiction unless it's
trafficing ;-) I thought.

The QPS generally don't like the AFP so this is probably not a great angle.
Of course if you know anyone in the DIA or maybe your AFP guy could shake
him down as a terrorist.

Cheers

BrettM

I was a bit confused by that as well... :)

AFP have traffic/beat police in the ACT. But that's it - in other parts
of the country (ie everywhere else!!) they deal with federal crime
only...

Do the QPS reallt not like the AFP?? I don't know - I am often in joint
meetings with various state & federal law enforcement orgs, and
everyone seems to work together pretty well...

Abby

Sir Lex -- SL "The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over to an idea so sincerely said:
are You sure it was Goebbels and not Howard? no... you're right, Howard hasn't had an original thought so it must have been Goebbels.....

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was a bit confused by that as well... :)
>
> AFP have traffic/beat police in the ACT. But that's it - in other parts
> of the country (ie everywhere else!!) they deal with federal crime
> only...
>
> Do the QPS reallt not like the AFP?? I don't know - I am often in joint
> meetings with various state & federal law enforcement orgs, and
> everyone seems to work together pretty well...
>
> Abby

My involvement was via another (defence) related agency but there appeared
to be some anomossity (que?) particularly in relation to intelligence
sharing.

Don't quote me but I heard a lot of commentary re lack of real police
experience/work, (AFP other than APS don't do uniform), know it all because
they went to uni things like that. Unfortunately while jealousy had a part
a lot of it was accurate. More senior people seem to work well together -
they definately agreed on one thing though - they hated us.

Cheers

BrettM