O'Groats to Lands End via bridle paths - possible?

Petal Puss

Guest
I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I have done four trips to
Britain and absolutely love walking the UK country side. Is it possible to walk End to End via
bridle paths and walking paths only? How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites where
I can get info? Thanks Jo

Following up to petal puss

>Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths only?

there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking books, John something? Someone
will know!
--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-

Following up to Reid

>Following up to petal puss
>
>>Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths only?
>
>there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking books, John something? Someone
>will know!

Clare, Clear?

This isnt it but:- "http://www.mayfair.u-net.com/walk.html" says this Land's End to John o'Groats -
A Choice of Footpaths for Walking the Length of Britain" - Andrew McCloy, £6.99 Hodder & Stoughton
(1995) 0-340-63750-1. An excellent place to continue your preparation for the Walk. Also available
in Hardback, but don't bother because you'll probably want to take it with you. The book
details three routes from Land's End, including the masochistic Easterly route via Newmarket
and Lincoln. Also includes an Appendix on Equipment and Preparation (although not as good as
this page!), and a comprehensive Bibliography (better than this page).
--

[email protected] (petal puss) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I have done four trips to
> Britain and absolutely love walking the UK country side. Is it possible to walk End to End via
> bridle paths and walking paths only? How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites
> where I can get info? Thanks Jo

Well, as far a Scotland is concerned, there are a couple of well-known footpaths which would get you
from Inverness to Glasgow - the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way. Both have a (very) little
road walking, but on quiet roads. From the Glasgow to the Border, there have been a number of
suggestions. Try "Walking the Watershed" (TacIT press) and a book called "Scotland's Hill Tracks"
from the Scottish Rights of Way society for a variety of other routes, many of which could be used.

ON the other hand, why not have a look at http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/ssw/index.shtml if you want
it all planned for you. .

Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

These may help as well http://www.ldwa.org.uk/

http://www.fatbadgers.co.uk/Britain/longdist.htm

and this is pretty good for filling in the gaps http://www.xs4all.nl/~keizee/index.html

"Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Following up to petal puss
>
> >Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths only?
>
> there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking books, John something? Someone
> will know!
> --
> Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
> etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <--
you can email us@ this site
> Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all,
it's a spamtrap

Following up to Bryan Hall

>Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

that's it, thanks.
--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-
walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

"druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (petal puss) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I have done four trips to
> > Britain and absolutely love walking the UK country side. Is it possible to walk End to End via
> > bridle paths and walking paths only? How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites
> > where I can get info? Thanks Jo
>
> Well, as far a Scotland is concerned, there are a couple of well-known footpaths which would get
> you from Inverness to Glasgow - the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way. Both have a (very)
> little road walking, but on quiet roads. From the Glasgow to the Border, there have been a number
> of suggestions. Try "Walking the Watershed" (TacIT press) and a book called "Scotland's Hill
> Tracks" from the Scottish Rights of Way society for a variety of other routes, many of which could
> be used.

Hamish Browns Book From the Pennines to the Highlands (ISBN 1-874027-37-4) gives a 13 day route
connecting the Pennine and West Highland Ways

--
Duncan Gray

homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk The Mountaineering Council
of Scotland

Thank you everyone for your input. I have had a quick look at your book and site suggestions
and they look like they will get me on my way. Thanks again - maybe I'll see you out walking
one day!! Jo

Reid <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Following up to Bryan Hall
>
>>Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?
>
> that's it, thanks.

There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my nightly reading many years ago
whilst cycling end-to-end.

I couldn't remember the title so I did a Google search and came up with this site
http://www.landsendjohnogroats.com - it looks like an excellent resource, with an extensive booklist
including one book by urw-contributor Chris Townsend.

Enjoy planning your trip! You'll see some wonderful and varied scenery - but if that is your main
objective I suggest that you select your route with that in mind rather than taking the shortest
possible line.

Stuart

Following up to Stuart Mann

>>>Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?
>>
>> that's it, thanks.
>
>There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my nightly reading many years
>ago whilst cycling end-to-end.

or rather that's it :-S Perhaps I read them both?
--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-
walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

Ah .... John Hillaby - that was the other name!

Wrote possibly one of the most heart wrenching books on walking I've ever read, following the death
of his wife. Title escapes me know - so what was that one Mike?

"Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Following up to Stuart Mann

> >> that's it, thanks.
> >
> >There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my nightly reading many years
> >ago whilst cycling end-to-end.
>
> or rather that's it :-S Perhaps I read them both?
> --
> Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
> etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <--
you can email us@ this site
> Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all,
it's a spamtrap

Following up to Bryan Hall

>Wrote possibly one of the most heart wrenching books on walking I've ever read, following the death
>of his wife. Title escapes me know - so what was that one Mike?

"Walking through Love" IIRC. I tried Goggle but found nothing quickly.
--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-
walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:12:24 +0000, Reid <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Following up to Bryan Hall
>
>>Wrote possibly one of the most heart wrenching books on walking I've ever read, following the
>>death of his wife. Title escapes me know - so what was that one Mike?
>
>"Walking through Love" IIRC. I tried Goggle but found nothing quickly.

Journey through Love, I think.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

Following up to Paul Rooney

>>"Walking through Love" IIRC. I tried Goggle but found nothing quickly.
>
>Journey through Love, I think.

no wonder it wouldn't Google!
"www.traveldirectorynet.co.uk/books/JON/0094602905_Journey_Through_Love.html"