Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    OK, I didn't really choose tubeless as such. The bike came with the Crossmax UST wheelset. Whether
    or not it was a good idea doesn't matter. It's done. I have tubeless. I now have tubeless tyres with
    many tiny holes in them. It's to the point where it needs fixing.

    I have googled and I know about Stan's, I know about Slime, I know about Stan's and Slime causing a
    mess. I know about pinch flats, and I know about putting tubes into my tubeless tyres. I know about
    superglue. But no where can I find any good ideas on how to patch or repair punctures in tubeless
    tyres. I really don't want Stan's or Slime, and will be really annoyed if I have to use tubes in my
    tubeless tyres.

    Has anyone any thoughts on this repair method before I start jamming things in tiny holes. I have
    already, successfully, patched a large thorn hole with superglue with the neeedle and thread method.

    1. Inflate tyre to reasonable pressure.
    2. Proceed as for repairing normal tube by immersing in water and looking for bubbles.
    3. Upon identification of hole, accurately insert a pin or needle with thread into the hole.
    4. Continue until all holes have been plugged.
    5. Deflate and remove tyre from rim.
    6. From the inside, locate pins. If it is a needle, locate needle and pull through until the cotton
    is in the hole.
    7. Put drop of super glue on pin or thread.
    8. Remove pin or thread by pulling from the outside of the tyre.
    9. Remount and inflate patched tyre.

    It's either that, or bloody tubes. Stupid tyres.

    Any help muchly appreciated.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > OK, I didn't really choose tubeless as such.

    Attempts at patching tubeless have been fruitless for me; maybe it's the particular material or my
    technique(s) - or both. The patches simply fall off.

    However, a simple squirt of slime has solved all my small puncture woes. The only things I do
    nowadays with my tubeless is occasionally add air or replace them when the knobs are worn off. They
    hold air about as well as tubed tires, too.

    Slime good.

  3. On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:19:14 -0500, "John Harlow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >However, a simple squirt of slime has solved all my small puncture woes.

    Yep... only I use "stans" ... never tried slime but most likely it works as well as stans. .. It
    also eliminates the slow leaks that seem inherent with tubeless tires.

    charlie

  4. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:16:18 GMT, Charles Beristain
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:19:14 -0500, "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>However, a simple squirt of slime has solved all my small puncture
    woes.

    >Yep... only I use "stans" ... never tried slime but most likely it works as well as stans. .. It
    >also eliminates the slow leaks that
    seem
    >inherent with tubeless tires.

    http://www.yestubes.com

  5. David

    David Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > However, a simple squirt of slime has solved all my small puncture woes.

    Doesn't slime remove the performance benefits of tubeless? People talk about how much faster
    tubeless are. When I've used slime in tubed tires it sure made them feel heavier & slower. If it
    slows down tubeless tires, I guess I wouldn't see the point in using tubeless..

  6. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    David wrote:
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> However, a simple squirt of slime has solved all my small puncture woes.
    >
    > Doesn't slime remove the performance benefits of tubeless? People talk about how much faster
    > tubeless are. When I've used slime in tubed tires it sure made them feel heavier & slower. If it
    > slows down tubeless tires, I guess I wouldn't see the point in using tubeless..

    Try only an ounce or two, not the recommended four or what ever the directions state.

    Gary

  7. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Try only an ounce or two, not the recommended four or what ever the directions state.

    What he said - it doesn't take much at all.

  8. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK, I didn't really choose tubeless as such. The bike came with the Crossmax UST wheelset. Whether
    > or not it was a good idea doesn't matter. It's done. I have tubeless. I now have tubeless tyres
    > with many tiny holes in them. It's to the point where it needs fixing.

    snip

    > It's either that, or bloody tubes. Stupid tyres.
    >
    > Any help muchly appreciated.

    I read somewhere about using buffing liquid,used in repairing car tires. Its applied to the inside
    of the tire, to remove the traces of mould release agent left over from the manufacturing process
    which can stop the patches from sticking. Buffing liquid is , apparently ,nasty aggressive stuff and
    I don't know where you'd buy it, which begs the question, why don't the UST tire manufacturers clean
    the bloody things so that patches will stick to them?

    cheers

    gaz