Ok Who Rode Today? 10/15/15

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
We did we did! :p

12.5 miles on the tandem out our front door. About 1,000 ft gain. Gina started out grumpy but half way through the ride she was all smiles. Hey,that's why we ride! ^_^

I really like the ankle reflectors along with the lights on the bike. The pedaling motion catches the eye of the drivers. Well those that are smart enough to turn on their lights when it gets dark ha ha! :lol: They take turns lighting up with the leg motion.

OK I am not relay running, just posing purposes! :lol:

101515A_zpspof3earf.jpg

Now she smiles! After the climbing is done.

101515B_zpsye9bmhma.jpg

I'm glad you guys are still riding in shorts!

I did a short 22-mile, flat training loop yesterday afternoon. The wind was running 8 to 18 MPH with gusts to 24 MPH if Windfider is to be believed. IIRC the elevation gain was something like 650' on the Garmin and Garmin Connect. STRAVA (after elevation correction) mapped it at only 300'ish feet. Who knows which is closer to reality?

It was 41° this morning and they are calling for 35° for a low tonight with our first frost possible. Winter. It's coming.

I have the Santana ready to hit the road. I installed Ultegra pedals up front (and bought a spare pair for whoever is dumb enough to climb on behind me) and I'll use the same shoes/cleats I have set up for my Emonda. I left the toe clips and straps on the back for my wife.

I rode. I went from my house 15 miles to another town. It was very hilly though so hard for me also because I've biked like 200 miles in the past 8 days.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
CAMPYBOB said:
I'm glad you guys are still riding in shorts!

I did a short 22-mile, flat training loop yesterday afternoon. The wind was running 8 to 18 MPH with gusts to 24 MPH if Windfider is to be believed. IIRC the elevation gain was something like 650' on the Garmin and Garmin Connect. STRAVA (after elevation correction) mapped it at only 300'ish feet. Who knows which is closer to reality?
Very strange about the difference in elevation. I see a few feet difference once in a while but last night's ride had exactly the same gain on Strava and Garmin. B)

The temp was an average 74 but as you can see, Gina is already breaking out the long sleeves and tights. She's always cold and on our weekend rides of 70 degrees she'll more than likely be wearing a windbreaker or light jacket. :lol:

But it's better than 105! ^_^

I just did a quick 8k loop to my gym, the grocery store, and back home again. Today was one of the first really nice fall days we've had, so going for such a short ride just made me want to get out there even more! I'm hoping I'll be able to convince my boyfriend to at least go for a walk after dinner...it seems like Autumn only lasts about three days before icy, terrible winter sets in, so I don't want to waste any of the nice weather.

Quote by Mr. B.
"Very strange about the difference in elevation."

Rides with one long climb or a couple of major climbs to known elevation points might tend to less disagreement between barometric elevation data, GPS elevation data and actual geophysical survey data...MAYBE!

Our terrain is very much rolling to hilly and any given ride of 20 to 100 miles would take the rider over dozens of climbs to well over a hundred individual climbs. Then there are our famous false flats and upgrade runs. Garmin Connect will say one figure and the initial upload to STRAVA of the TCX or GXP file will be 'close' to the Garmin data...usually a little lower. After "Elevation Correction" all bets are off.

I don't how STRAVA corrects using survey data (or GPS points?), but the elevation always drops a good chunk after correction.

It may also have to do with what STRAVA's algorithms count as actual elevation change: does a 4' climb in 200 yards followed by a 4' descent over 200 yards count as climbing? Are the algorithms used by Garmin yielding equivalent data to STRAVA's? Does Garmin's GPS elevation data correct, over-ride or in any way get factored in to the barometric data?

Another factor is the accuracy of Garmin's barometers. Barometers are temperature-corrected devices. For one thing, Garmin's temperature sensors read notoriously low. How accurate can the altimeter reading be if the instrument they are based on is inaccurate?

Lastly, some areas of the globe are far more covered when it comes to data. Hicksville, Ohio has probably never had a survey team anywhere near it and riding near it the data has to come from our el cheapo Chicom barometers and GPS signals.

For the last couple of years I've just used the elevation data as a comparative one. Like you, I think it's better just to get out and enjoy the ride.

OK wait what?! Whatever he said, ^^^^^^ I'll just take his word for it! :lol:

My ride was even shorter than everyone else's yesterday: 10.58 miles. We have morning temperatures similar to CampyBob's. For me it is time to learn how to ride in much colder temperatures. Luckily I got some pointers from Velominati.com (credit goes to CampyBob, too!)

Today I did 18.10 miles and tomorrow will be a big riding day, cold or no cold.

Thanks a ton

Bob

As I am reading this thread, the typhoon is ravaging our country. The strong winds are hitting the leaves and punishing the vegetation around us. I cannot think of riding at this kind of weather but I'm sure some groups are out there on the road since it's already 6am, a time to rise and shine for the bikers. I still have to experience riding on inclement weather. You know husbands, they wouldn't permit their wives to ride when there is a visible risk.

I haven't rode in three days and that's not because of the weather, it's because I've had to decorate two rooms of the house.

I thought I'd stop the nagging and get it over with (hate decorating) but at least now I can get back to what I DO enjoy, and the wife's happy as well of course!

sunshiney said:
I just did a quick 8k loop to my gym, the grocery store, and back home again. Today was one of the first really nice fall days we've had, so going for such a short ride just made me want to get out there even more! I'm hoping I'll be able to convince my boyfriend to at least go for a walk after dinner...it seems like Autumn only lasts about three days before icy, terrible winter sets in, so I don't want to waste any of the nice weather.
Seems very similar to my riding routine. My gym isn't too far either from the home office. Decided to ride there in the morning and then run a few errands after I was done with gym. Nice moderate weather, just a bit windy at times but otherwise it was a pleasant day. I'm off for another ride this afternoon, will need to pick up some groceries.

I did...not...ride yesterday. Damnit.

It rained on and off from before dawn until after dark and the winds went up to 43 MPH.

We're supposed to have high winds again today (gusts over 30 MPH) with a 50/50 shot at more rain. I'll try and get out this afternoon, but today will probably be best spent making money.

No riding for me either today and yesterday as we're being hit by the tail end of hurricane Abigail at the moment so if this continues into the weekend its going to be the same for a while now I think.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but 50mph winds coupled with torrential downpours aren't fun and while I do miss the bike, even I'm not that stupid to venture out in this kind of weather.