Okay...So What's A Good Tail Light?

take a joist hanger-bend and cut in to 3 parts-bolt together with
8's-attach to rear rack
add one "big cateye" facing backwards
two yellow nashbar blinkies facing right and left.
coat blinkies insides with electrical silicone-we use 'jiffy lube'
tape seams with electrical tape
jiffy switchs-it'll seep
add one yellow blinkie on the bar with a LED cateye headlamp
and wearing a white/orange or yellow T
uroff!

>> Claire Petersky wrote:
>>> I really wish some thought would be made by the blinkie companies about
>>> how they are going to attach to racks...

The problem of mounting to the rear of a rack is when one walks a bike
down stairs on it's rear wheel, (necessary on narrow stairs) it hits an
upper step, at best moving it, at worst breaking it. I prefer the left
rear strut, which is even harder to find mounts that will work.
John

Collin O'Neill wrote:
> NYC XYZ wrote:
>> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
>> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?
>>
>> And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?
>>

> Now that every taillight product has been recommended to you, I'll make
> my recommendation:
>
> Blackburn Mars 3.0
>
> Why? It doesn't break off if you accidentally hit it. The others are
> made of stiff plastic that breaks after jarring and occasional bumping.
> The mars plastic is a little more flexible and absorbs that shock.
> Otherwise it's your standard 2xAAA LED blinkie with four modes.

Actually, if you attach the LD1000 like I did, using two thin cable ties
around the entire body (between the LEDs), then it's very secure.

But the Mars 3.0 is a good light, and a lot less expensive than the
LD1000, at only $13 from Campmor.
"http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=54722"

At that price, it's only a bit more expensive than a flasher that
doesn't have side firing LEDs. No reason to be buying the low end
flashers any more.

news:eek:[email protected]...
>I now have a Busch & Muller 4D Permanent Tail Light (ie, doesn't blink)
>through The Touring
>Store.(http://www.thetouringstore.com/BUSCH & MULLER/BUSCH MULLER HOME.htm)
>I also have a Trek Disco light, which I think is the best blinkie that can
>attach itself to the back of my trunk. I really wish some thought would be
>made by the blinkie companies about how they are going to attach to racks
>and trunks, not just seat tubes.

I agree. I attach to a rack trunk so I tend to look for lights with a "belt
clip".

(This is my 3rd 4th attempt to post this. Once yesterday while no other
posts were under it, & twice thrice today. 3rd 4th times the charm?)
God Damn!

Richard B wrote:

>I like the Cateye LD500-RC.
>It has two modes; blinking and solid.
>in the blinking mode it blinks in triple bink sets (like the morse code
>"S" over and over) and runs just about forever (100 hours) on two AAA
>batteries.
>It also meets the C.P.S.C. (Consumer Product Safety Commission) >regulations >as a reflector.

Boy I'll second that! When everything is considered, it's the best. It
may not he the smallest, lightest, brightest. But it's plenty bright.
Long battery life. But oh, did anyone mention cheap too. (<$10) Cateye
appears to be on the road to discontinuing them, I bought 3 @ Nashbar
to add to the 2 I already have.

I really can't imagine a better taillight. Even if I had a $500 HID
headlight, this is the taillight I would use, John

> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Claire Petersky wrote:

> >> I really wish some thought would be made by the blinkie companies about
> >> how they are going to attach to racks and trunks, not just seat tubes.

> > The Cat Eye LD1000 attaches to racks that have the little tab for
> > taillights.

> And it will actually stay on if you use duct tape. Otherwise it will fly

off
> when you hit a pothole. I think someone should make a blinkie that will

stay
> on without having to use the duct tape.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,

Mine's been mounted for the last year just fine, never had a problem

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > The Cat Eye LD1000 attaches to racks that have the little tab for
>> > taillights.

>> And it will actually stay on if you use duct tape. Otherwise it will fly

> off
>> when you hit a pothole. I think someone should make a blinkie that will

> stay
>> on without having to use the duct tape.
>>
>> --
>> Warm Regards,

> Mine's been mounted for the last year just fine, never had a problem

Zip ties provide that extra peace of mind. All cyclists should have an ample
supply of zip ties for attaching things to bikes so they won't fall off.

RichC

NYC XYZ wrote:
> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?
>
> And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

I have 2 Lightman Strobes on the back of my night bike. I think they are
great.

These take 2 AA batteries each. I use Ray-o-Vac 15Min rechargeables
giving about 3 hours of run time per charge.

These are significantly brighter than any LED blinkie I know about.

The downside is that they don't come with a bike mount. The light has a
1/4-20 hole in the back so its easy to make mounts.

http://tinyurl.com/a7ra5

Peace,

Cliff

cashrefundman wrote:
> I have 2 Lightman Strobes on the back of my night bike. I think they are
> great.

What's the strobe rate on those?

Brian Huntley wrote:
> cashrefundman wrote:
>
>>I have 2 Lightman Strobes on the back of my night bike. I think they are
>>great.

> What's the strobe rate on those?

A bit more than 1 flash/sec. Slowing down a little as the batteries
discharge.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:52:04 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

> I really wish some thought
> would be made by the blinkie companies about how they are going to
> attach to racks and trunks, not just seat tubes.

The Cateye units have mounts for almost every situation, and they're
pretty easy to get through most bike shops.

Matt O.

cashrefundman wrote:
> These take 2 AA batteries each. I use Ray-o-Vac 15Min rechargeables
> giving about 3 hours of run time per charge....

Rayovac dropped the hyphens in the early 1980's.

--
Tom Sherman - Former Rayovac employee

cashrefundman wrote:
> NYC XYZ wrote:
>> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
>> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?
>>
>> And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?
>>

> I have 2 Lightman Strobes on the back of my night bike. I think they are
> great.
>
> These take 2 AA batteries each. I use Ray-o-Vac 15Min rechargeables
> giving about 3 hours of run time per charge.
>
> These are significantly brighter than any LED blinkie I know about.
>
> The downside is that they don't come with a bike mount. The light has a
> 1/4-20 hole in the back so its easy to make mounts.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/a7ra5
>
> Peace,
>
> Cliff

If you buy the Lightman strobes from Night-Sun
(http://www.night-sun.com/htmldocs/stuff_civilian.html) they do come
with a bike mount, but they are more expensive than buying the ones
without the bike mount.

If your headlight is a 12 volt system, Night-Sun sells a 12 volt version
of the Lightman strobe that connects to a 12 volt battery.

Alternatively, you can buy 12V xenon strobes here:

"http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/STROBE-3A/search/AMBER_XENON_FLASHER_.html"
"http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/STROBE-3R/search/RED_XENON_FLASHER_.html"

See one on a bike at "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0279.jpg"

Yes, xenon strobes are much better than an LED blinker in terms of
visibility, though there are downsides as well. The bulb doesn't last as
long as LEDs, and the power consumption is higher.

[followup to rec.bicycles.tech]

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>:

>That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down.

I somehow doubt it.

>But how
>about tail lights?

I recommend http://www.bumm.de/docu/ruecklicht2-e.htm or one of the
available variants: D'TOPLIGHT plus, senso etc. I am riding a lot in
the dark, mostly while riding home from work, using this taillight for
some years now and haven't found a need to switch to another, newer
model, yet. It's very bright, has a light distribution optimized for
traffic, it's combinded with a large reflector and last but not least
it's reliable. It needs a generator or an external battery pack, though.

>Or are they just the same?

Certainly not. Similar to headlights, taillights for bicycles need good
optics in order to get the emitted light properly formed and directed.
This needs dedictation, research, and quite some experience on the side
of the manufacturer.

>And what do y'all think of this: www.fossifoool.com?

That's a toy, apparently sold by spamming newsgroups, not a bicycle
light.

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

SMS wrote:
> cashrefundman wrote:

<cut>
> Alternatively, you can buy 12V xenon strobes here:
>
> "http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/STROBE-3A/search/AMBER_XENON_FLASHER_.html"
> "http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/STROBE-3R/search/RED_XENON_FLASHER_.html"
>
> See one on a bike at "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0279.jpg"
>
> Yes, xenon strobes are much better than an LED blinker in terms of
> visibility, though there are downsides as well. The bulb doesn't last as
> long as LEDs, and the power consumption is higher.

That's what I use for poor weather (with cateye LD600 on non-flash,
when driving I find it hard to gauge how quickly cyclists with just
flashing lights are moving, so I always have one in non-flashing mode)
- rain or fog.

I have it mounted in a plastic lunch box with batteries inside - 10xAA
rechargeables runs for about 6 hours, this simply bungees on to the
rack of whatever bike I am riding at the time (the bikes I have without
racks don't get ridden in poor weather).

I did have a white strobe on the front too, but local police objected
to that so now I only use it to get the attention of car drivers who
"forget" to dip their headlights for mere cyclists.

Andrew Webster.

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

tubes.

> >> And it will actually stay on if you use duct tape. Otherwise it will

fly
> > off
> >> when you hit a pothole. I think someone should make a blinkie that will

> > stay
> >> on without having to use the duct tape.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Warm Regards,

> > Mine's been mounted for the last year just fine, never had a problem

> Zip ties provide that extra peace of mind. All cyclists should have an

ample
> supply of zip ties for attaching things to bikes so they won't fall off.
>
> RichC

In fact mine's mounted upside down on my headrest, the standard mount works
fine

NYC XYZ wrote:
A request for rear light information.

Hiya NYC XYZ!
Here's one kludge that did NOT work satisfactorily as a rear light.
Parts list:
1x AA battery minimag flashlight
1x Parts kit for same to get the pocket clip
1x NiteIze red traffic signal cone thing, red color, sized for AA
flashlight
1x NiteIze LED converter unit
2x AA batteries from the spare battery bag in the rack trunk.

Yup, for about four times the purchase price of a basic multiple LED
blinky, I had a steady-state-only rear red finger to the sky sort of
slipped into the strap on the back of the rack trunk. In full darkness,
in conjunction with an LED blinker, it might be helpful. In twililght,
with most of the light going straight up, essentially useless (a
brighter point source, even with less actual light emitted, would
probably be better).

It MIGHT be more satisfactory without the traffic direction cone, just
the red flashlight filter lens, pointed straight back, but then I'd be
worried about the head of the minimag jolting straight off. The LED
aftermarket add-on from NightIze (three white LEDs in a reflectorized
unit) DOES emit sufficient light for dead of night flat repair, but you
lose the MagLite focus function. Not a big loss for a worklight, as the
three beams are tight enough at a decent (say two to thirty feet)
distance (this is MHO, your opinion and needs may and probably do
differ).

It was worthwhile to have as sign-in-sheet illumination at a 200K
brevet last night.

It may be worthwhile as an emergency "be seen" headlamp, possibly with
the WHITE traffic direction cone on to better be seen by traffic coming
from the side.

Robert Leone [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Claire Petersky wrote:

> >> I really wish some thought would be made by the blinkie companies about
> >> how they are going to attach to racks and trunks, not just seat tubes.

> > The Cat Eye LD1000 attaches to racks that have the little tab for
> > taillights.

> And it will actually stay on if you use duct tape. Otherwise it will fly off
> when you hit a pothole. I think someone should make a blinkie that will stay
> on without having to use the duct tape.

Mine does; I use zip-ties!

newsgroups if possible).

Sorni wrote:
> NYC XYZ wrote:
>
> > That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
> > about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

> Cheap blinkie.
>
> Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

2 cheap blinkies. I've got one taped to my seat post with clear packing
tape (yeah I know it's tacky, but only on one side) and one clipped to
the back of my helmet.
I buy the Planet Bike blinkies from MEC. Whatever you get buy ones that
accept standard size batteries. If you need to replace one at a
convenience store you'll find it easier to get a AA or AAA.

Cam