Old and new shimano 105

tdcadillac

Jul 1, 2020
Good afternoon all,
I just want to know if there is a big difference between the 2018 shimano 105 (5800) and the new shimano 105 in 2020 models?
Thank you

It depends on what you want, if you have found a used, or never used 2018 105 group and can save a lot of money then go with it, it's a very good and durable model that was called the 5800 series.

Really the differences are subtle, they did bring in 3 new cassette gear ranges this year, the last series only had two...big deal, you could always use Ultegra cassette if you wanted to. They also changed the front inner gear ring so cross chaining wouldn't be a big deal...so what? it wasn't a big deal before if you know how to ride a bike, and even the new system you shouldn't be cross chaining no matter what they say it can do! They made the hoods less bulky and designed it to be similar to the Ultegra...big deal again, I use the older hoods and have no problems, it's not the least bit bulky. They say the new derailleur is "light years" ahead of the old...BS! when it comes to mechanical derailleurs a quality derailleur from 20 years ago will work just as good or darn near as good, there is no light years ahead even going back 35 years or so ago when index shifting first came out, moving the shift lever from the down tube to the brake levers was not "light years" ahead because it's still the old indexing system! they just moved the levers.

So keep that stuff in mind when you read about the differences in this website I'm going to give you. Look, the job of these websites is to get you excited so you'll buy the newest thing, so they over glorify stuff by a lot to make you get all emotional and think with your ass and not your head. I've been cycling for over 40 years, I've seen all the marketing hype and I'm immune to it! LOL!! I was in the corporate world for 25 years too, I wasn't a golfer but I knew a lot of golfers, and they would come in to work and brag about some new wiz bang golf club, and I knew from cycling it was all marketing mumbo jumbo. So one day a corporate worker came in bragging about how he spent $2,000 for ONE golf club, and he bought the WHOLE SET! So that weekend he played several rounds of golf, that Monday I asked him how much better he scored in his games, he told me to shut up! He didn't score any better with his $2,000 a piece clubs vs his $150 dollar a piece clubs! And he never did get better with them till he went for lessons with a golf pro which is what he should have spent his money on in the first place and kept his old clubs. This mania to have the best stuff in cycling is just that, marketing mumbo jumbo to stir up buying mania, cycling world learned from the golfing world how to rip people off. Anyway I promised a website for you to read so here it is: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...105-r5800-what-are-the-key-differences-374671

Reactions: tdcadillac
It depends on what you want, if you have found a used, or never used 2018 105 group and can save a lot of money then go with it, it's a very good and durable model that was called the 5800 series.

Really the differences are subtle, they did bring in 3 new cassette gear ranges this year, the last series only had two...big deal, you could always use Ultegra cassette if you wanted to. They also changed the front inner gear ring so cross chaining wouldn't be a big deal...so what? it wasn't a big deal before if you know how to ride a bike, and even the new system you shouldn't be cross chaining no matter what they say it can do! They made the hoods less bulky and designed it to be similar to the Ultegra...big deal again, I use the older hoods and have no problems, it's not the least bit bulky. They say the new derailleur is "light years" ahead of the old...BS! when it comes to mechanical derailleurs a quality derailleur from 20 years ago will work just as good or darn near as good, there is no light years ahead even going back 35 years or so ago when index shifting first came out, moving the shift lever from the down tube to the brake levers was not "light years" ahead because it's still the old indexing system! they just moved the levers.

So keep that stuff in mind when you read about the differences in this website I'm going to give you. Look, the job of these websites is to get you excited so you'll buy the newest thing, so they over glorify stuff by a lot to make you get all emotional and think with your ass and not your head. I've been cycling for over 40 years, I've seen all the marketing hype and I'm immune to it! LOL!! I was in the corporate world for 25 years too, I wasn't a golfer but I knew a lot of golfers, and they would come in to work and brag about some new wiz bang golf club, and I knew from cycling it was all marketing mumbo jumbo. So one day a corporate worker came in bragging about how he spent $2,000 for ONE golf club, and he bought the WHOLE SET! So that weekend he played several rounds of golf, that Monday I asked him how much better he scored in his games, he told me to shut up! He didn't score any better with his $2,000 a piece clubs vs his $150 dollar a piece clubs! And he never did get better with them till he went for lessons with a golf pro which is what he should have spent his money on in the first place and kept his old clubs. This mania to have the best stuff in cycling is just that, marketing mumbo jumbo to stir up buying mania, cycling world learned from the golfing world how to rip people off. Anyway I promised a website for you to read so here it is: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...105-r5800-what-are-the-key-differences-374671
well said. I love the analogy of the golf club. Thanks Froze
I want to buy a specialized Allez Elite 5 which is withing my budget but find only size 56 and I am 6 feet tall with inseam 31.9
I am at the edge of 56 and wonder if I can took the risk and buy it? Or the other alternative is a synapse 105 (this one both the 58 and the 56 are available) but I have to spend another $300 more that I can save for helmet pedals ...

You need to test ride the Allez, whether or not you will fit that bike will depend on the geometry. If the sales person a really good, he or she should be able to look at you while setting on the bike and be able to tell if it's going to work for you or not; so I would insist that they do a preliminary fit and see how it end up afterwards, they might have to swap out the stem would be my guess. The price difference it's worth trying to see if they can make it work and you're comfortable riding it. After they make those adjustments then you need to test ride it, and when you do test ride it, don't ride around the parking lot doing small circles, take it out for at least a one mile ride.

I'm also 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam, I can fit bikes ranging from 56 to 60 but it depends on the geometry, but I find 60 is usually pushing it; so large to extra large frame will work.

Reactions: tdcadillac
You need to test ride the Allez, whether or not you will fit that bike will depend on the geometry. If the sales person a really good, he or she should be able to look at you while setting on the bike and be able to tell if it's going to work for you or not; so I would insist that they do a preliminary fit and see how it end up afterwards, they might have to swap out the stem would be my guess. The price difference it's worth trying to see if they can make it work and you're comfortable riding it. After they make those adjustments then you need to test ride it, and when you do test ride it, don't ride around the parking lot doing small circles, take it out for at least a one mile ride.

I'm also 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam, I can fit bikes ranging from 56 to 60 but it depends on the geometry, but I find 60 is usually pushing it; so large to extra large frame will work.
Thanks Froze. that is reassuring that the 56 is viable option as well.

There are some notable differences between the 2018 Shimano 105 (5800) and the 2020 model. Shimano has made some significant upgrades in the 2020 version, aiming to improve the overall performance and shifting accuracy.

Firstly, the 2020 Shimano 105 features a new rear derailleur with a more extensive cage, which allows for the use of an 11-34T cassette, providing a broader gear range for tackling various terrains.

Secondly, the 2020 model has a redesigned front derailleur, which offers improved tire clearance and smoother shifting.

Additionally, Shimano has introduced a new hydraulic disc brake system in the 2020 105 groupset, which provides better modulation, improved heat dissipation, and more consistent braking performance in all weather conditions.

Lastly, the 2020 Shimano 105 groupset features a new shifter design, which offers a more comfortable grip and more precise shifting.

Overall, while the 2018 Shimano 105 is still an excellent groupset, the 2020 model offers several improvements that could make a significant difference in your cycling experience.