Old bikes worth anything?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rlirwin, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Rlirwin

    Rlirwin Guest

    I have an old (I think I bought it in the eraly 80's)TREK back from the days when they were all hand
    made, had imiron paint jobs that last forever, and the only decals were TREK with the letters
    applied individually over the top of the paint. I'm running out of room to store bikes. Is this bike
    now or ever likely to be worth anything.

    Tags:

  2. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "RLIrwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old (I think I bought it in the eraly 80's)TREK back from the
    days
    > when they were all hand made, had imiron paint jobs that last forever, and
    the
    > only decals were TREK with the letters applied individually over the top
    of the
    > paint. I'm running out of room to store bikes. Is this bike now or ever likely to be worth
    > anything.

    After the Apocalypse, when everyone else is walking, the world will be ruled by people
    with bicycles.

    RichC

  3. John Wiegley

    John Wiegley Guest

    > I have an old (I think I bought it in the eraly 80's)TREK back from the days when they were all
    > hand made, had imiron paint jobs that last forever, and the only decals were TREK with the letters
    > applied individually over the top of the paint. I'm running out of room to store bikes. Is this
    > bike now or ever likely to be worth anything.

    I'd be interested. Students are starting to get really interested in old, retro bikes here. Also, in
    less safe areas it's good to have a cheaper old bike, rather than parking one's expensive bike in
    plain view.

    John

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I have an old (I think I bought it in the eraly 80's)TREK back from the days when they were all
    >hand made, had imiron paint jobs that last forever, and the only decals were TREK with the letters
    >applied individually over the top of the paint. I'm running out of room to store bikes. Is this
    >bike now or ever likely to be worth anything.

    Many of those bikes from the early 80s (and the 80s in general) were great bikes, nicely made
    classic steel bike. I have a few of them, including a "Trek Pro Series" which has a Columbus tube
    set and Campy dropouts.

    These are great bikes to ride but I personally don't think they will ever be collectors items. In my
    mind, there was just nothing about them special enough to make them collectible, Paramounts are a
    different story.

    My suggestion is that if you don't want them, try to find a good home for them and be happy that
    they are being ridden.

    jon isaacs

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:53:54 -0700, <[email protected]>, John Wiegley
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd be interested. Students are starting to get really interested in old, retro bikes here.

    And here they've driven up the price of all the old Sturmey-Archer three-speeds so the poor students
    are stuck buying old road bikes. Anything with a coaster brake is suddenly desirable. It's strange.
    --
    zk