Old damaged guy rides again.

BILLYHOLMES

Oct 27, 2005
Hello,

My name is Bill and I am a 53-year-old and I emigrated to Toronto Canada 10 years ago from the UK. I have been told that I need a new left knee and a new right hip due to arthritis caused from old injuries. I used to cycle in the UK years ago riding time trails and road racing and have now decided to have another crack at it to get fit again and perhaps I can put off these operations for a few more years.

I ride at least 4-5 hours per week on the wind trainer as it is too cold to cycle outdoors at the moment here in Canada. I am not sure how well I am going, as I have no one to compare myself with. On the wind trainer I ride at 200 watts average for one-hour steady state, and my heart rate is 152 bpm. I know my maximum heart rate is 190 and my resting heart rate upon waking is 42 bpm. Is my power output too miserable to consider joining a club and be able to keep up?

My left knee will only just bend enough to get the pedals round but I feel I could make my life easier for myself if I gain a bit by buying pedals with a low stack height. Is there a comparison chart for stack height of all the different pedals or does anyone know what pedal has the least stack height? Do you think perhaps I should also go with shorter cranks (167.5) or will this be too much of a compromise, as I would loose leverage?

Regards,

Bill.

Hello,

My name is Bill and I am a 53-year-old and I emigrated to Toronto Canada 10 years ago from the UK. I have been told that I need a new left knee and a new right hip due to arthritis caused from old injuries. I used to cycle in the UK years ago riding time trails and road racing and have now decided to have another crack at it to get fit again and perhaps I can put off these operations for a few more years.

I ride at least 4-5 hours per week on the wind trainer as it is too cold to cycle outdoors at the moment here in Canada. I am not sure how well I am going, as I have no one to compare myself with. On the wind trainer I ride at 200 watts average for one-hour steady state, and my heart rate is 152 bpm. I know my maximum heart rate is 190 and my resting heart rate upon waking is 42 bpm. Is my power output too miserable to consider joining a club and be able to keep up?

My left knee will only just bend enough to get the pedals round but I feel I could make my life easier for myself if I gain a bit by buying pedals with a low stack height. Is there a comparison chart for stack height of all the different pedals or does anyone know what pedal has the least stack height? Do you think perhaps I should also go with shorter cranks (167.5) or will this be too much of a compromise, as I would loose leverage?

Regards,

Bill.

BILLYHOLMES said:
Hello,

Regards,

Bill.
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. Just curious, how are you getting your power output on the wind trainer?

BILLYHOLMES said:
Hello,

Regards,

Bill.
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. Just curious, how are you getting your power output on the wind trainer?

Bill, don't know about the clubs in Toronto, but 200W for 1 hour is anything but "miserable". I'd say you've got plenty to ride with our local club here. In your town, bet you can find a compatible group of guys with your ability. If you go out and find a bunch of "racer-wannabes" who's only interest is seeing how bad they can drop you, I'd look elsewhere.

The bigger point I'd like to make is .....take it easy on yourself. You've got joint problems, been off the bike for at least 10 years, yet you're already doing hard work for an hour on the trainer, checking your HR, and worrying about how competitive you'll be. Moderate cycling might help to rehab your joints, but I'd be concerned that hard rides are going to do just the opposite.

Suggest you relax and consider adjusting your goals a bit. At our age (I'm 5 years older) your long-term health and enjoyment ought to take priority over competition. These are more important than how many watts you can generate, or how many youngsters in the fast club pack you can hang onto.

Bill, don't know about the clubs in Toronto, but 200W for 1 hour is anything but "miserable". I'd say you've got plenty to ride with our local club here. In your town, bet you can find a compatible group of guys with your ability. If you go out and find a bunch of "racer-wannabes" who's only interest is seeing how bad they can drop you, I'd look elsewhere.

The bigger point I'd like to make is .....take it easy on yourself. You've got joint problems, been off the bike for at least 10 years, yet you're already doing hard work for an hour on the trainer, checking your HR, and worrying about how competitive you'll be. Moderate cycling might help to rehab your joints, but I'd be concerned that hard rides are going to do just the opposite.

Suggest you relax and consider adjusting your goals a bit. At our age (I'm 5 years older) your long-term health and enjoyment ought to take priority over competition. These are more important than how many watts you can generate, or how many youngsters in the fast club pack you can hang onto.

netscriber said:
I have a Tacx Flow wind trainer which I find a big improvement from the early ones I used back in the 80's, but it's still a time machine!
Regards,
Bill.

netscriber said:
I have a Tacx Flow wind trainer which I find a big improvement from the early ones I used back in the 80's, but it's still a time machine!
Regards,
Bill.

He is a legend!! :eek:

I do 2 15 minute sessions 3 time a week in the gym at 90-140 watts and they set my HR to 120 maximum, however I run off the bike for 11-12 min immediately after, at a HR of 130 max. I am a bit older than Bill.

Bill, depending on leg length/height go for 165mm cranks, they can be got cheaply. I have a short friend, 4'10", she has a standover of 28" and rides with 165mm road and 152mm MTB. http://cranklength.info/crankCalc.htm

I do 2 15 minute sessions 3 time a week in the gym at 90-140 watts and they set my HR to 120 maximum, however I run off the bike for 11-12 min immediately after, at a HR of 130 max. I am a bit older than Bill.

Bill, depending on leg length/height go for 165mm cranks, they can be got cheaply. I have a short friend, 4'10", she has a standover of 28" and rides with 165mm road and 152mm MTB. http://cranklength.info/crankCalc.htm

gclark8 said:

Hey George,
I am concerned about the lack of leverage with the shorter cranks, did your friend feel any difference when she tried them? I need as much power as I can get as my legs aren’t what the were.
Best Regards,

Bill.

gclark8 said:

Hey George,
I am concerned about the lack of leverage with the shorter cranks, did your friend feel any difference when she tried them? I need as much power as I can get as my legs aren’t what the were.
Best Regards,

Bill.

BILLYHOLMES said:
Hello,

Regards,

Bill.
Way to go Bill. Using shorter crankarms sounds like the way to go. I've got a 165 on the left and a 172.5 on the right to correct for a leg length discrepancy. Probably losing some leverage but so what. What you lose in torque you make up in leg speed. I am the same age as you and have had 12 surgeries on the left leg. Guys like you and I can probably get more satisfaction out of our riding than many others because we aren't likely to take it for granted. Do what you can, and enjoy the fact that cycling gives you a way to express yourself in an athletic fashion. Suggest you think long term. Do what is necessary to stay healthy and stay on the bike. Being able to see progress can be a constant source of motivation and safisfaction. Enjoy the ride.

gclark8 said:
Bill, what cadence produces the 200 watts?
I average 90rpm for the hour that gives me an average power of 200 watt pushing 42x15-16, why do you ask?

Regards,

Bill.

bulaboy said:
Way to go Bill. Using shorter crankarms sounds like the way to go. I've got a 165 on the left and a 172.5 on the right to correct for a leg length discrepancy. Probably losing some leverage but so what. What you lose in torque you make up in leg speed. I am the same age as you and have had 12 surgeries on the left leg. Guys like you and I can probably get more satisfaction out of our riding than many others because we aren't likely to take it for granted. Do what you can, and enjoy the fact that cycling gives you a way to express yourself in an athletic fashion. Suggest you think long term. Do what is necessary to stay healthy and stay on the bike. Being able to see progress can be a constant source of motivation and safisfaction. Enjoy the ride.
Hi,

Thanks for the support, 12 surgeries... my God! Do you feel any difference with the different crank lengths?

Regards,

Bill.

BILLYHOLMES said:
Hi,

Thanks for the support, 12 surgeries... my God! Do you feel any difference with the different crank lengths?

Regards,

Bill.
Just doing what needs to be done in order to fit the bike to an asymmetrical body. It may be less than ideal but what can you do? The alternative is to have one side too long and/or the other side too short. Can't remember what it's like to have 2 good legs. In terms of performance, all one can do is work on his/her fitness and maximize the available potential. I only limp when I walk, not when I ride.

Bill, ok on the 90 rpm. If you use shorter cranks you will still produce the same output but at a slightly higher cadence. I don't have a table here but will ask at the gym on Monday. Go for the 165s.. :)

My friend with the 152s read your reply last night, she said go for as short as you can. At 52 years, she has no problems with the 152s, her knee joints have never been better. She estimated she spins abound 94-96 on the MTB and 86-90 on the road bike.

gclark8 said:
Bill, ok on the 90 rpm. If you use shorter cranks you will still produce the same output but at a slightly higher cadence. I don't have a table here but will ask at the gym on Monday. Go for the 165s.. :)

My friend with the 152s read your reply last night, she said go for as short as you can. At 52 years, she has no problems with the 152s, her knee joints have never been better. She estimated she spins abound 94-96 on the MTB and 86-90 on the road bike.
Sir,
What you say sound logical to me and I am sure the faster cadence will come with practice. Thanks very much for your help, I am so glad I joined this forum.
Best regards,
Bill

The higher cadence is considerably better on your joints. The give/take is that it's a harder cardio workout vs relying as much on leg power. If you go with the shorter cranks, especially with sketchy knees, you'll want to ensure you raise your seat accordingly.

A resting heart rate of 42 (with out the use of drugs such as beta-blockers) is great at any age. Joining a club shouldn't be a problem and I agree with DHK, enjoy yourself. No need to worry about pushing yourself so hard when you're already doing so well and already have such problems.