Old school/vintage Skid Lid helmet pictures

BiggMakk

Oct 3, 2005
I am looking for pictures of old school/vintage Skid Lid helmets. I remember it being egg yolk yellow and having four flaps on top. I think it was quite popular in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Thanks.

I had several friends that wore 'Skid-Lids'. The Skid-Lid offered only minimal protection and was available in black, white and yellow (perhaps other colors also). They were the coolest (temperature-wise) helmet design of the day because of the minimalist design. In reality, they offered only slightly better protection than the leather hairnet.

I was wearing a Brancale shell helmet back then and it was a sauna bath/oven in comparison.

skidlid.jpg

Picture from: http://www.helmets.org/history.htm

This is perfect! What an amazingly silly piece of equipment.

I am trying to coax an old friend into cycling again. I want to remind him how far equipment has come since we were 16 year olds riding around the farms of Central New York State.

BiggMakk said:
I am looking for pictures of old school/vintage Skid Lid helmets. I remember it being egg yolk yellow and having four flaps on top. I think it was quite popular in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Thanks.

I just bought one of this at the Thrift Store! It's amazing! It is still in like new condition, manual, rearview mirror, visor and the fit kit! I was looking for a helmet to wear while riding my Cannondale, but I think I'm keeping this Skid-Lid as part of my random vintage items collection! The manual has copyright 1981. :D

It's older than me! Oh my! It is a cool helmet!:p

milesxhour said:
I just bought one of this at the Thrift Store! It's amazing! It is still in like new condition, manual, rearview mirror, visor and the fit kit! I was looking for a helmet to wear while riding my Cannondale, but I think I'm keeping this Skid-Lid as part of my random vintage items collection! The manual has copyright 1981. :D

It's older than me! Oh my! It is a cool helmet!:p

I had one in white and it was comfortable but fortunatly I never got to find out how effective it was at protecting the head.