older male needs advice on MB

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Krash, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Krash

    Krash Guest

    doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated

    height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs

    Tags:

  2. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    krash wrote:

    > doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    > $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated
    >
    > height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs

    Stay away from Walmart. Go to any decent bike store, ride a bunch of different branded bikes in that
    price range, and see which feels the best.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  3. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    krash wrote:
    > doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    > $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated
    >
    > height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs

    Don't buy a bike, buy a bike shop. Avoid the chain stores, even the chain sporting goods stores. A
    bikes-only shop should have bikes in that range, and they'll be good. Brands like Giant, GT,
    Specialized, maybe Rocky Mountain, Trek. One or more of those might not get to the budget prices
    (that would be you) but several of them should.

  4. >krash wrote:

    >> doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    >> $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated
    >>
    >> height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs
    >
    >Stay away from Walmart. Go to any decent bike store, ride a bunch of different branded bikes in
    >that price range, and see which feels the best.

    What he said. To which I'll add: If you live where you can go to a couple different bike shops, do
    so. At this price point all good quality, non-walmart bikes are pretty much the same.

    What makes the difference is the attention to detail that the shop pays when they assemble them.
    Everybody is careful on $2000 bikes. Not every shop is careful with $300 bikes.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  5. "krash" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    > $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated

    Like the others said, get a cheap(er) mountain bike in the $400-$500 range. When you find that you
    will be riding on an unfamiliar trail, make sure that you

    A. take a friend
    B. have a cellphone
    C. WEAR YOUR HELMET!
    D. having gloves and good shorts helps too.

    At 5'6" you probably need a 16" or at most a 17" frame.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    krash wrote:
    > doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    > $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated
    >
    > height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs

    That price range is bare minimum for a descent mtn bike -- you may need to add $100 or so... You're
    talking rigid frame (no suspension).

    Go to several bike shops.

    Talk to the sales people about what you want and how you ride. Compare their answers and see which
    ones are trying to work with you vs. trying to sell the stuff on the floor / giving you hype instead
    of experienced answers.

    Ask about after sales support: free tune-ups for how long, free installation of components that you
    buy from them, priority treatment when you bring your bike in, etc.

    Ride lots of bikes. See which ones fit you and feel good.

    Ride bikes over your price range to see what you're missing and or to get ideas on a couple of
    things the you might want to upgrade at the time of the sale.

    Choose the bike the fits the best from the dealer that seems the most likely to work with you, give
    you honest answers, and give you good after-sales support.

    Decide what components you want to upgrade (typically to a seat and a stem that fits you, and maybe
    a seatpost suspension), and what other add-ins you want (helmet, water bottles, hydration pak,
    small emergency trail tool kit, tire patch kit, pump, presta adapter, lock...). You can usually get
    a better deal on these at the time of the sale (ie, you can usually get a good discount to close
    the sale).

    You might also ask them about any used bikes that they have / know about that might be good for you.

    David

  7. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Where do you live? Some of us my have had expereince with the shops in your area.

    "krash" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    > $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated
    >
    > height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs

  8. M&M

    M&M Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > krash wrote:
    > > doctor told me to lower my cholestrol and weight need advice on decent mountain bike in the
    > > $300-$400 range all and any advice appreciated
    > >
    > > height = 5'6" Weight = 190 Lbs
    > >

    > Don't buy a bike, buy a bike shop. Avoid the chain stores, even the chain sporting goods stores. A
    > bikes-only shop should have bikes in that range, and they'll be good. Brands like Giant, GT,
    > Specialized, maybe Rocky Mountain, Trek. One or more of those might not get to the budget prices
    > (that would be you) but several of them should.
    >
    > --

    You may want to go for a used mountain bike for now and most good Bike shops carry a very good
    selection of quality brands and sizes to suit your needs . Most I have seen are less than
    $100.00 and they sometimes come with a warranty at some bike shops . If you decide you like the
    sport over time , you can save the balance of the money you don't spend and add to it , say over
    a year or two , and get yourself a really great bike . BTW , a lot of bike shops allow you to
    lay away a bike and pay it off over time and some even offer bank financing ( I don't reccommend
    the later ) .

    M&M