olympic questions. why is australia so bad at cycling and britan so good?

Ashley.S.Olsen

Mar 10, 2008
the austraian team are very bad at cyling. especially on the track. great britanna are very good and have a good clean programme and athletes. i heard other countries like austrlia are tryign to steal the coaches with big salaries.

i have enjoyed watching england rub the aussrlian sportspeoples faces in a gold medal rush.

i went to read some australian newspapers on the www but they make zero mention of how good england is and how bad australia are. no drugs now for the aussie team since they clenaed up ther australian inststitue of sport.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
olympic questions. why is australia so bad at cycling and britan so good?

I heard that they went and rode around the track before the event, which no-one ever thought of doing before. One time Wiggins rode a lap, then when his coach told him to hit the showers he went and rode another whole lap. "You crazy ****!" said the coach.

Also, they discovered that since track bikes have a fixed wheel then if you have a faster cadence you really will go faster than the other guy.

But the main reason was that the project to develop the fastest technology had the most rubbish name for any project ever. Armstrong's Hour Record attempt was called Project F1, so obviously Team GB tried to match this with, "The Secret Squirrel Club." In the face of such a pathetic name, the team knew that they had to win or they would be laughed at forever.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
the austraian team are very bad at cyling. especially on the track. great britanna are very good and have a good clean programme and athletes. i heard other countries like austrlia are tryign to steal the coaches with big salaries.
Perhaps in your massive amounts of research that you did for this ground breaking story you omitted that the British actually bought Aussie & German coaching staff.
They bought in Australian Shane Sutton & German Jan van Eijden.

Also in your in depth research, I guess you missed this article.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24210206-2722,00.html

Nice fishing trip though.

lol. Crappiest troll effort ever.

There have been numerous articles in the Australian and Herald Sun (both Murdoch News press) and the Age (Fairfax).

BTW, the pomgolians are good because Australians went to England Land and rooted their women to improve the gene pool The evidence is that Wiggins is half Australian, so we should get half his medals - i.e 1 Gold medal.

As for us being bad, we caught soap-dodger cootie germs off poms at the Mancester worlds and have not recovered since.

classic1 said:
Complete and utter failure if you ask me. About as funny as a bucket of after-birth.

Trev_S said:
Perhaps in your massive amounts of research that you did for this ground breaking story you omitted that the British actually bought Aussie & German coaching staff.
They bought in Australian Shane Sutton & German Jan van Eijden.

Also in your in depth research, I guess you missed this article.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24210206-2722,00.html

Nice fishing trip though.
I love how Aussies jump in on other's successes. The Aussies have been bashing the Pom’s for years and now you’re trying to claim their success as your own. Cheap.

classic1 said:

There have been numerous articles in the Australian and Herald Sun (both Murdoch News press) and the Age (Fairfax).

BTW, the pomgolians are good because Australians went to England Land and rooted their women to improve the gene pool The evidence is that Wiggins is half Australian, so we should get half his medals - i.e 1 Gold medal.

As for us being bad, we caught soap-dodger cootie germs off poms at the Mancester worlds and have not recovered since.
True but she(he?) is right thou. Australia is **** at cycling.

I'm only a casual follower of track cycling but even to my untrained eye it's a puzzle how a country as proliferate as the Aussies were during the 1990's, now find that their cupboard is bare.
With all of the grand track cycling champions (O Grady, McGee etc), you'd think that track cycling would have attracted a huge influx of participants?

For sure, GB put in huge investment in terms of funding/training/equipment to improve their results.
Were the Aussies unable to match that investment?
Or perhaps, it's just the natural order of things : countries enjoy a successful period and then move in to a more modest period?

classic1 said:

hahahahahahahahaahahaha! you lost the hockey stick game on gras! bunch iof chiockers!!! hahahahaha!

limerickman said:
I'm only a casual follower of track cycling but even to my untrained eye it's a puzzle how a country as proliferate as the Aussies were during the 1990's, now find that their cupboard is bare.
With all of the grand track cycling champions (O Grady, McGee etc), you'd think that track cycling would have attracted a huge influx of participants?

For sure, GB put in huge investment in terms of funding/training/equipment to improve their results.
Were the Aussies unable to match that investment?
Or perhaps, it's just the natural order of things : countries enjoy a successful period and then move in to a more modest period?
Cycling in Australia has never been particularly well run and they have certainly been taught a lesson or two about training, funding and selection this time. Let's hope they learn something from it. Even so, there are some good young track riders in Australia who will be just ripe in 2012 and may just cause an ambush.

Hell of a lot to do with the weather, I imagine. I couldn't stand an indoor velodrome - too bloody boring.

Seriously, though, the Brits seem finally to have worked out that you need more than a stiff upper lip and plenty of British pluck for sporting success. A little bit of money, science and professionalism goes a long way. The days of Australia wiping the Poms' faces in it may be over.

artemidorus said:
Hell of a lot to do with the weather, I imagine. I couldn't stand an indoor velodrome - too bloody boring.

Seriously, though, the Brits seem finally to have worked out that you need more than a stiff upper lip and plenty of British pluck for sporting success. A little bit of money, science and professionalism goes a long way. The days of Australia wiping the Poms' faces in it may be over.
To borrow a quote... they are good at sports where you do it sitting down. Cycling, rowing, and sailing (14 out of 17 golds so far).

But well done GB. You have improved a lot.

whiteboytrash said:
I love how Aussies jump in on other's successes. The Aussies have been bashing the Pom’s for years and now you’re trying to claim their success as your own. Cheap.
*insert smarmy sarcasm*
Of course, how dare they try to put a positive spin on a crappy olympics. No one would ever do that.

Would you prefer a headline "Aussies ****, Brits great".

Don't hold your breath.

limerickman said:
Not bare, and it has.

Problem atm is like you said earlier, the trough between peaks. This olympics CA have had a hard time choosing between old and young, with not many at their peak, either past it or yet to get there. Time will tell if the next generation can stand up.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
hahahahahahahahaahahaha! you lost the hockey stick game on gras! bunch iof chiockers!!! hahahahaha!

hahahahahahahaahah. Seppos dropped the baton. Twice. ROFLMFAO

classic1 said:
hahahahahahahaahah. Seppos dropped the baton. Twice. ROFLMFAO
Yea, I feel bad for Tyson. He seems like a very humble guy. That sucked. Oh well, guess we need to practice hand-offs. We used to do tons of it when I coached HS Track. The fundamentals are the fundamentals, and ignoring them will cost you sooner or later.

So, how has Ass Chin and the Foster's crowd done in cycling? Oh...i forgot.......we went over that already.

thoughtforfood said:
Yea, I feel bad for Tyson. He seems like a very humble guy. That sucked. Oh well, guess we need to practice hand-offs. We used to do tons of it when I coached HS Track. The fundamentals are the fundamentals, and ignoring them will cost you sooner or later.

So, how has Ass Chin and the Foster's crowd done in cycling? Oh...i forgot.......we went over that already.

I don't know where people get the idea that Australians drink Foster's. I'm not sure it's even available in Australia. I certainly haven't seen it for sale for the last ten years.

Runitout said:
I don't know where people get the idea that Australians drink Foster's. I'm not sure it's even available in Australia. I certainly haven't seen it for sale for the last ten years.
Oh ok, "Ass Chin and the shrimp on the barbie crowd"

or "Ass Chin and the crikey crowd"

or "Ass Chin and the 'Now thats a knife' crowd"

or "Ass Chin and the prison colony crowd"

or "Ass Chin and the most deadly snakes and spiders and box jellyfish crowd"

or "....

Ashley.S.Olsen said:

i have enjoyed watching england rub the aussrlian sportspeoples faces in a gold medal rush.

i went to read some australian newspapers on the www but they make zero mention of how good england is and how bad australia are. no drugs now for the aussie team since they clenaed up ther australian inststitue of sport.
More money in road cycling...although I can't for the moment remember how many millions of Euros Cadel et al get paid.That suits the Brits since they're all on the Social anyway.
And how many seppos stood on the podium at the last TdF?
"****all, Your Honour." was the swift reply. :D

Runitout said:
They advertise it over here as "Australia's Favorite Beer" (I spelt it American). I don't know how they can get away with such a blatant lie.