Optima - Stinger - Anyone try this bike?

Rob

Guest
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Optima's new bike called the Stinger. What does
weigh? Any reviews?

Rob V-Rex, Vivo (wife's ride)

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 05:56:30 GMT, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Optima's new bike called Stinger. What does weigh?
>> Any reviews?

>http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol4.1/Optima%20Stinger.htm

I have one, done just under 4,000 miles on it - see

<http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Bike_Optima_Stinger>

First, let me make it clear that this bike is huge fun. I walked into the bentmonger, saw the bike,
wanted it, rode some others, rode the Stinger and wanted it even more, went back the following week
and took away the display model. It's that kind of bike.

This is a typical Dutch bike, made of an alloy of Aluminium and depleted Uranium, but climbs
surprisingly well for all that. I have two cassettes, a standard 11-25 (?) and a 13-32 I use for
hilly rides. I have managed to climb 1 in 8 with the 11-25, but it was hard work!

In current trim with mudguards, a SON and lights, Air Zound, mirror and so on, the bike weighs
nearly 40lb, and I average the same speed as I do on my 30lb auax bike.

It's a very comfy bike, and tracks nicely. It's not a lowracer but it does let me blow roadies away
on the way to work; it feels more stable the faster it goes and is reassuring at 40mph plus, it
stops well and on the few occasions I've overbraked on slippery roads it's gone down in a very
controlled manner allowing me to just stand up - I've not yet hit the road even in icy conditions
even though I always use slick tyres.

I've had two faults, both were dealt with promptly. The rack bent (it's folded aluminium) - this is
probably due to abuse while it was in the shop, as it was their demo bike. The frame suffered a
fatigue failure at a weld after a few thousand miles, and they replaced the frame and rear fork
without any fuss at all. Some Barons had a similar failure but mine is the only Stinger I know of
which has suffered this. I am big and quite strong.

Carrying capacity is limited. I have mounted the platform of a Blackburn-type rack on top of the built-
in rack on mine, and use an Ortlieb Bike Box on that. It is possible to put enough in the Bike Box
to bend the rack, so I don't overload it. I don't carry heavy loads anyway, and if I want to I will
get a BoB.

If I were buying again I would be happy to buy the Stinger. I would do a ride-off against the
Speedmachine. Last time I tried them back-to-back I preferred the Stinger but the Speedmachine is a
better load carrier.

Some disappointments: bog-standard Deore components (some now upgraded to LX on mine), and Magura
Julie discs which suck badly, but the bike is a joy to ride.

Guy
===
> [...]

> Carrying capacity is limited. I have mounted the platform of a Blackburn-type rack on top of the
> built-in rack on mine, and use an Ortlieb Bike Box on that. It is possible to put enough in the
> Bike Box to bend the rack, so I don't overload it. I don't carry heavy loads anyway, and if I want
> to I will get a BoB.
>
> If I were buying again I would be happy to buy the Stinger. I would do a ride-off against the
> Speedmachine. Last time I tried them back-to-back I preferred the Stinger but the Speedmachine is
> a better load carrier.
>
> Some disappointments: bog-standard Deore components (some now upgraded to LX on mine), and Magura
> Julie discs which suck badly, but the bike is a joy to ride.
>
> Guy
> ===
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Interresting, I was able to take a Speedmachine out for a week, and love it. There were two problems
I found with it.
1. It's a heavy bike
2. I was having problems getting confortable on it

The things I liked was the ride was awesome, (unreal), and flat surface speed was faster
then my V-Rex.

I put Pantour hubs front and back on my V-Rex, but continual problems with the rear hub has made me
remove it. With both Pantour hubs on, it was not even close to the ride of a Speendmachine.

Rob - V-Rex, Vivo (wife's ride)

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:37:46 GMT, "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Interresting, I was able to take a Speedmachine out for a week, and love it. There were two
>problems I found with it.
>1. It's a heavy bike
>2. I was having problems getting confortable on it

The Stinger is also a heavy bike (maybe a fraction lighter if the Speedmachine has front shocks).
I never found it hard to get comfortable, but hardshell seats do come in sizes so maybe that was
the problem.

I tried several other bikes since, none have been sufficiently better to tempt me *except* the Trice
Monster (trike) which is stunning. I still have to try a Windcheetah properly.

Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> The Stinger is also a heavy bike (maybe a fraction lighter if the Speedmachine has front shocks).
> I never found it hard to get comfortable, but hardshell seats do come in sizes so maybe that was
> the problem.

Tsk, Guy! ALL Speedmachines have front suspension, built into the head tube inna-Cannondale-
stylee...

> I tried several other bikes since, none have been sufficiently better to tempt me *except* the
> Trice Monster (trike) which is stunning. I still have to try a Windcheetah properly.

The Long-Term Savings Fairy came up with the goods and the XXL is on order. I'm on the limit size-
wise for the Micro / Monster and the Meteor hadn't been invented at the time... I've done a
considerable amount of Windcheetahing and never really got on with the seat. It is, in fact, the
considered opinion of many that no-one gets on with a seat originating with Mike Burrows other than
Mike Burrows, though as Pat Field has done 3 P-B-P's on Burrows machines, he may be the exception
which proves the rule.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/