Opus vs. Masi

jump_at_the_sun

May 20, 2009
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for my first road bike right now so I can get into racing and, you know, commute to work a little faster. At the moment I'm on a Raleigh sport hybrid, aluminum frame, and I like to try and keep up with the "spandex people" on their fancy rigs - and I don't do too badly, either!

After a bit of research, I decided that I love carbon fiber and that if I wanted a Trek, I'd have to pay through the nose and go get one from the States. I took a look at a Norco CRR 3 today for $2000 but it seems like I can get more for my money than that.

I also love clichés. My surname is Massi so it would be hilarious to own a Masi, but I can't afford their carbon fibers. If I buy a Masi, it would be the aluminum Gran Corsa. Their website seemed bent on convincing everyone that aluminum is stiff enough for sprinting - but you guys won't lie to me: is aluminum ok?

The bike I'm leaning more towards buying is the Opus Alto. Another cliché is in play here: I play the viola, which is "alto" in French. I like the idea that this bike is Canadian and I hear lots of people use them in my area. Also, just by looking at the charts, this bike will fit me slightly better although cost a little more. But who cares about money, right?

Does anyone own either a Masi Gran Corsa or an Opus Alto? What can you tell me about them? Also, since this is my first road bike, would I be completely out of my mind to ask the store if they could throw some pedals on so I could take one out for a test ride? What if they had to order in the bike before I try it?

Both bikes weigh almost exactly the same (Masi is 0.05lbs heavier) and both have Shimano parts. The Opus is only a 10-speed and I believe the Masi is a 14 but does this really make a difference? Both bikes can be ordered into a shop across the street, which is why I'm limiting myself to these brands.

First off, aluminum frame bikes are the stiffest bikes available, to the point that some people think that they are too stiff for comfort. Yeah, you'll get some good sprints on an aluminum bike with less flexing than any other material, all other things being equal.

Masi has been around a long time and is a well respected company. The Gran Corsa is a very fine bike, stable with predictable handling. I can't compare it to the Opus as I have never ridden one.

The gearing that you have listed is a bit confusing. As for 10-speed on the Opus, do you mean that there are 10 cogs on the cassette? If you check, you will probably find out that this is the same for both bikes.

If the store has the bike in stock, it should not be any problem for them to put your pedals on the bike so that you can take a test ride. In fact, if they don't have the bike in stock, see if they have a satisfied customer who will let you take a test spin on his bike. It appears that both of these bikes are unknown quantities for you, so you should do what you can to test ride both options prior to choosing one.

One last observation, you may be doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to only two brands for the sake of convinience. There are a lot of good bicycle manufacturers out there and you might find a bike that you like nuch better if you look around a little longer at more shops than just the one across the street. When you are shopping, remember that you are not just shopping for a bike, but you are also shopping for a bike shop. If you don't like the shop, I would suggest that you don't buy a bike from them.

Thanks for the great insight! As far as speeds go, the Opus is actually advertised as a 10 speed (5 on the cassette and a double crank) and I think I counted 7 cogs and a double crank on the Masi for 14.

I did go and check out other brands and I'm a bit overwhelmed with how many bikes there are to choose from. Opus is very popular here and the Alto comes with Ultegra and Dura Ace parts, whereas the others in the same category are equipped with 105s, including the Gran Corsa, which is actually no cheaper than the Alto once you factor in exchange rates.

I'll go check out some other shops - maybe they'll have something in stock for me to try!