Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Tony Raven
<[email hidden]> gently breathed:
Quoted message said:Pyromancer wrote on 20/02/2007 12:04 +0100:
Quoted message said:Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Tony Raven
<[email hidden]> gently breathed:
Quoted message said:Rob Morley wrote on 17/02/2007 13:33 +0100:
> So are the parents of the child on a railway line if they take so
> little care of their offspring.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:You clearly don't have children.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Many of us don't, some of us by choice. It can be argued that the
loss
of an adult is worse than the loss of a child.
Quoted message said:The issue is not one about which loss is worth more.
That depends - saying "what if it had been a kid" does imply that
somehow we should do more for kids than adults. To a degree this is
true with young children who genuinely aren't old enough to know better,
but around a railway crossing I'd expect those kids to be under their
parents firm control.
Quoted message said:I guess you would say the two 14 year olds killed at the Elsenham
crossing had parents who took little care of their children.
Your mind-reading skills are failing you. I thought no such thing.
Quoted message said:What would you have done as their parents? Locked them in their room?
Refused to let them go out with their friends without you?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6324489.stm
Neither. I would however have taught them, many years earlier than 14,
as I was taught, that railway crossings are only safe when used
properly, and that ducking under barriers or crossing when the lights
are telling you not to is extremely stupid and liable to get you killed.
Possibly their parents did this and the information was ignored,
possibly they didn't - at the end of the day you do expect people to
exercise a certain degree of common sense. Nipping across a road
against the lights is a bit risky but can usually be got away with.
Trains are a bit different though.
But TBH one of the main reasons I chose to remain child-free is that I'm
aware of the awesome responsibility that proper parenting entails, and
how it does, when done properly, completely alter your life. The cost
was another factor but deciding I did not want that level of
responsibility was the main thing.
--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>
Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>