[OT] Lidl windproof lighters

John Hearns

Guest
Lidl have some windproof lighters for £1.49. Has anyone bought one?
Do they in any way resemble the lighters which the Survival Shop used
to sell, which were claimed were hot enough to weld with?
These ones are stainless stell, but look a bit flimsy.

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Lidl have some windproof lighters for £1.49. Has anyone bought one?
> Do they in any way resemble the lighters which the Survival Shop used
> to sell, which were claimed were hot enough to weld with?
> These ones are stainless stell, but look a bit flimsy.

Maplins sell a thing that holds a lighter and acts as a nozzle for it.
They've got piezo ignition and you can cut a beer can in half with one...

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> Lidl have some windproof lighters for £1.49. Has anyone bought one?
>> Do they in any way resemble the lighters which the Survival Shop used
>> to sell, which were claimed were hot enough to weld with?
>> These ones are stainless stell, but look a bit flimsy.

> Maplins sell a thing that holds a lighter and acts as a nozzle for it.
> They've got piezo ignition and you can cut a beer can in half with one...

FZ99H on the Maplin site BTW.

John Hearns wrote:
> Lidl have some windproof lighters for £1.49. Has anyone bought one?
> Do they in any way resemble the lighters which the Survival Shop used
> to sell, which were claimed were hot enough to weld with?

Hot enough to weld what?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:34:53 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]> said:

> Lidl have some windproof lighters for £1.49.

Do you mean

<http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051205.p.Windproof_Lighter_>

which claims they are 4.99

> Has anyone bought one? Do they in any way resemble the lighters
> which the Survival Shop used to sell, which were claimed were hot
> enough to weld with? These ones are stainless stell, but look a bit
> flimsy.

I've got a Turboflame <http://www.turbolighters.com/>, advertised for
5.95

Not as good as one might hope. Tried to use one on bonfire
night. Windproof, yes, but damp just doesn't agree with it. Probably
shorts out the piezo spark. I'd go for the Turboflame, rather than the
Lidl no-name one. At least it *feels* like a decent, well engineered
bit of kit.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:31:06 +0000, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:34:53 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]> said:
>
>> Lidl have some windproof lighters for £1.49.

> Do you mean
>
> <http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051205.p.Windproof_Lighter_>
>
> which claims they are 4.99

No, these were just cheap ones at the checkout. Not the turbo powered ones
I ws thinking of, such as the 4.9 ones.
Thanks for the information, saved me a few pennies there.