[OT] Linux Nwsreaders

Davey Crockett

Guest
Does anyone in the Linux crowd want to compare Pan and Pine (or any other Newsreader they
might be using)

I had some problems with Pan personally, but after trying some other clients, am back to Pan, but
using emacs as the editor.

Anybody?

On Fri. d. 01 Aug. 2003 kl. 01:52 GMT, Davey wrote:

> I had some problems with Pan personally, but after trying some other clients, am back to Pan, but
> using emacs as the editor.
>
> Anybody?

slrn - and jed as my editor

--
Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...

Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic <icq://131382336> or two in a month, what's the
point of living? <aim://reippuert

"Morten Reippuert Knudsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri. d. 01 Aug. 2003 kl. 01:52 GMT, Davey wrote:
>
> > I had some problems with Pan personally, but after trying some other clients, am back to Pan,
> > but using emacs as the editor.
> >
> > Anybody?
>
> slrn - and jed as my editor
>
> --
> Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...
>
> Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic <icq://131382336> or two in a month, what's the
> point of living? <aim://reippuert>

Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do no
serious work.

It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.

Linux fanatics notwithstanding.

Dashii

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play
with
> their system and do no serious work.
>
> It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.
>
> Linux fanatics notwithstanding.
>
> Dashii

Careful..the penguinistas will hunt you down... ;-)

Cheers,

Scott..

On Sat. d. 02 Aug. 2003 kl. 03:26 GMT, Dashi wrote:

>> slrn - and jed as my editor
>>
> Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do
> no serious work. It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.

Wich is why i use Mac OS X :) Hovever for most users who actually only needs a webbrowser,
email-client and a Wordprocessor Linux is fine. Mozilla and OpenOffice does that just as well as MS
Office, Ineternet Explorer and Outlook Express. In fact its my experience that a Gnome User
interface with those two applications is easyer to lern to use than than the offerings from MS for
new computer users.

--

Dashi Toshii wrote:
> Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do
> no serious work.
>
> It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.
>
> Linux fanatics notwithstanding.

Not true. I use Linux for at least 85% of the software development I do (both Java and C++). I don't
have the time to 'play around' and I have far less problems with Linux than Windoze when doing
system intensive stuff like debugging large C++ programs (at least I don't get continual blue
screens hangs like you get from Windoze) and I don't have to keep rebooting the system all the time
like you do in Windoze when its dumb memory management system fails.

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:26:20 -0700, Dashi Toshii wrote:

> Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do
> no serious work.
>
> It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.
>
> Linux fanatics notwithstanding.
>
> Dashii

Hmmm, I work for a web company and also do a lot of music stuff with computers on my own time and
haven't used an MS product in years. I use Pan newsreader BTW Art (obviously not in the real world)

"GreenvilleArt" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hmmm, I work for a web company and also do a lot of music stuff with computers on my own time and
> haven't used an MS product in years. I use Pan newsreader BTW

I was using Pan, Art, but have old iron here and use X as little as possible and even then use the
VTWM (TWM with a few bells) window manager.

So I switched to gnus, the emacs add-on. The power of gnus is awesome but I'm still on the steep
side of the learning curve.

Before we drop this OT thread though, you can usually find me in #slackware on irc.freenode.net.

And you'll get a real kick outta this one: http://members.rogers.com/worlds2003/linux-khardungla.jpg

Le Vent a dos

--
Davey Crockett