[OT] Linux Nwsreaders

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Davey Crockett, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Does anyone in the Linux crowd want to compare Pan and Pine (or any other Newsreader they
    might be using)

    I had some problems with Pan personally, but after trying some other clients, am back to Pan, but
    using emacs as the editor.

    Anybody?

    Tags:

  2. "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> writes:

    > ...but using emacs as the editor.
    ^^^^^

    > Anybody?

    M-x gnus

    -Gerard

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gerard Lanois <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >
    > > > ...but using emacs as the editor.
    > > ^^^^^
    > > >
    > > > Anybody?
    > >
    > > M-x gnus
    >
    > Yeah, gnus is the best thing out there, IMO.
    >
    > M-x all-hail-emacs!

    Hey guys, can you take this to rec.bicycles.tech? I'm trying to read the newbie posts.

  4. On Fri. d. 01 Aug. 2003 kl. 01:52 GMT, Davey wrote:

    > I had some problems with Pan personally, but after trying some other clients, am back to Pan, but
    > using emacs as the editor.
    >
    > Anybody?

    slrn - and jed as my editor

    --
    Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...

    Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic <icq://131382336> or two in a month, what's the
    point of living? <aim://reippuert

  5. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Morten Reippuert Knudsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri. d. 01 Aug. 2003 kl. 01:52 GMT, Davey wrote:
    >
    > > I had some problems with Pan personally, but after trying some other clients, am back to Pan,
    > > but using emacs as the editor.
    > >
    > > Anybody?
    >
    > slrn - and jed as my editor
    >
    > --
    > Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...
    >
    > Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic <icq://131382336> or two in a month, what's the
    > point of living? <aim://reippuert>

    Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do no
    serious work.

    It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.

    Linux fanatics notwithstanding.

    Dashii

  6. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play
    with
    > their system and do no serious work.
    >
    > It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.
    >
    > Linux fanatics notwithstanding.
    >
    > Dashii

    Careful..the penguinistas will hunt you down... ;-)

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  7. On Sat. d. 02 Aug. 2003 kl. 03:26 GMT, Dashi wrote:

    >> slrn - and jed as my editor
    >>
    > Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do
    > no serious work. It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.

    Wich is why i use Mac OS X :) Hovever for most users who actually only needs a webbrowser,
    email-client and a Wordprocessor Linux is fine. Mozilla and OpenOffice does that just as well as MS
    Office, Ineternet Explorer and Outlook Express. In fact its my experience that a Gnome User
    interface with those two applications is easyer to lern to use than than the offerings from MS for
    new computer users.

    --
    Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...

    Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic <icq://131382336> or two in a month, what's the
    point of living? <aim://reippuert

  8. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Dashi Toshii wrote:
    > Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do
    > no serious work.
    >
    > It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.
    >
    > Linux fanatics notwithstanding.

    Not true. I use Linux for at least 85% of the software development I do (both Java and C++). I don't
    have the time to 'play around' and I have far less problems with Linux than Windoze when doing
    system intensive stuff like debugging large C++ programs (at least I don't get continual blue
    screens hangs like you get from Windoze) and I don't have to keep rebooting the system all the time
    like you do in Windoze when its dumb memory management system fails.

  9. On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:26:20 -0700, Dashi Toshii wrote:

    > Linux is an OS that only appeals to people that want to constantly play with their system and do
    > no serious work.
    >
    > It is not ready for the real world desktop, works well as server software.
    >
    > Linux fanatics notwithstanding.
    >
    > Dashii

    Hmmm, I work for a web company and also do a lot of music stuff with computers on my own time and
    haven't used an MS product in years. I use Pan newsreader BTW Art (obviously not in the real world)

  10. "GreenvilleArt" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hmmm, I work for a web company and also do a lot of music stuff with computers on my own time and
    > haven't used an MS product in years. I use Pan newsreader BTW

    I was using Pan, Art, but have old iron here and use X as little as possible and even then use the
    VTWM (TWM with a few bells) window manager.

    So I switched to gnus, the emacs add-on. The power of gnus is awesome but I'm still on the steep
    side of the learning curve.

    Before we drop this OT thread though, you can usually find me in #slackware on irc.freenode.net.

    And you'll get a real kick outta this one: http://members.rogers.com/worlds2003/linux-khardungla.jpg

    Le Vent a dos

    --
    Davey Crockett