OT: Mail Reader

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Lightweight, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I have
    received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity
    to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I
    guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Lightweight wrote:
    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I have
    > received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity
    > to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I
    > guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    OE 6 has it... go to tools>messages>rules and write any kind of news or mail rule you want. You
    can also use the block sender function. Writing rules based on subject or keyword is effective for
    most spam.

    Penny

  3. Freeride

    Freeride Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:24:11 -0400, Lightweight wrote:

    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I have
    > received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity
    > to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I
    > guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you will
    never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting spammed.

    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

  4. On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:56:38 -0700, "Freeride" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:24:11 -0400, Lightweight wrote:
    |
    |> What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I
    |> have received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an
    |> eternity to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the
    |> mess, I guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking
    |> feature.
    |

    |You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and |mail clients, also you will
    never be scared to open mail your mail or |worry about virus or about your system getting spammed.

    |http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

    OS geeks crack me up.

  5. Lightweight wrote:
    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I have
    > received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity
    > to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I
    > guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    mozilla.org

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Freeride" <[email protected]> wrote

    > You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you will
    > never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting spammed.
    >
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

    He'd still get those same 186 messages, Linux or no Linux.

    1. Try Mailwasher to deal with the spam.
    2. Get another email address or two. Be careful who you give them out to.
    3. Set up many rules in OE

    Pete

  7. Trevor S

    Trevor S Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I have
    > received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity
    > to download and delete ~100 messages a day.

    Run Mailwasher, takes a bit of time but your spam decreases as you can bounce the messages back. I
    run Outlook 2002 for eMail (only 'cause I got it free with my Pocket PC) but Mailwasher checks the
    mail prior to me downloading it from the POP server oith Outlook.

    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    It's freeware.

    > I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail
    > reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    For News, I prefer Xnews. It's freeware and not susceptible to the stupid script virii you sometimes
    find in Usenet that can attack OE users. It's a very good newsreader IMO.

    Trevor S

  8. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using
    Outlook
    > Express now, but I have received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and
    they
    > were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity to download and delete
    ~100
    > messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I guess I'm really looking for a
    > freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    You have to be careful how and to whom you give your email address. It might be worth seeing if your
    isp will give you another, fresh email address. In the newsgroups setup OE to show a dummy email
    address. There are spiders that harvest email addresses from the Newsgroups automatically and add
    them to unscrupulous people's spam lists. Also, be cautious on which web pages you enter your email
    address. Make sure that you really want something genuine from a reputable website before using your
    real email address to sign in with. Treat you email address like your home phone number. An ounce of
    caution saves hours of spam... :)
    --
    Westie

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  10. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Lightweight said...

    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I have
    > received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity
    > to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I
    > guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    If you receive that much spam, then you are doing something wrong. Some rules for keeping spam to a
    manageable level:

    1. Don't configure your news reader to use a valid e-mail address in the headers of newsgroup posts.

    2. Don't give your e-mail address to kids or other Internet newbies.

    3. Always uncheck boxes for receiving e-mail offers when filling out online forms.

    4. Never respond to any spam, no matter what it says about 'click here' or 'respond to this address'
    to remove you from the spam list.

    5. Don't go to porn, hacking, or software piracy web sites. These cyber- crooks will do everything
    in their power to install spyware on your system and harvest any private information they can
    about you.

    For e-mail I use Eudora. It is free if you let them park a liitle add in the corner of your screen.
    For news groups I like Gravity. It is no longer supported, but it is now free. It has by far the
    best interface of any news reader I have used, and I have used almost all of them. It does have a
    few bugs, mainly in dealing with downloading all the headers from groups with many thousands of
    available posts.

  11. Lightweight says:

    >What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups???

    AOHell. (Scary though it may be. )

    It's newsreader is actually quite good, and the kill features are reasonably so.

    Steve "My name is Steve and I'm an AOLer"

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    SuperSlinky wrote:

    > If you receive that much spam, then you are doing something wrong. Some rules for keeping spam to
    > a manageable level:
    >
    > 1. Don't configure your news reader to use a valid e-mail address in the headers of newsgroup
    > posts.
    >
    > 2. Don't give your e-mail address to kids or other Internet newbies.
    >
    > 3. Always uncheck boxes for receiving e-mail offers when filling out online forms.
    >
    > 4. Never respond to any spam, no matter what it says about 'click here' or 'respond to this
    > address' to remove you from the spam list.
    >
    > 5. Don't go to porn, hacking, or software piracy web sites. These cyber- crooks will do everything
    > in their power to install spyware on your system and harvest any private information they can
    > about you.

    These are all fine pieces of advice, but unfortunately it's a case of locking the stable door after
    the horse has bolted. You need to do this immediately when you have a new mail address. Once you
    start receiving spam, it will only get worse as your address is traded.

    Interestingly, my Usenet address (I'm not allowed to mung) that I've been using for the last year or
    so, still barely receives any spam. A bit of 419 and some skiddies trying to get me to load trojans
    as 'Microsoft security patches'. I think putting your address in to online forms is the surefire way
    to guarantee a flooded inbox.

  13. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Freeride wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:24:11 -0400, Lightweight wrote:
    >
    >> What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I
    >> have received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an
    >> eternity to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the
    >> mess, I guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking
    >> feature.

    I use a thirdparty mail checker called Spam Pal. If they think an email is Spam they put the word
    Spam in the Subject line. I have set a Message Rule, anything with Spam in the Subject goes direct
    to Deleted Items. Each time I open OE and bring in mail I just do a quick glance at Deleted Items to
    see if anything I want slipped thru then one click deletes the lot, or it deletes the lot on
    switchoff.

    I've also signed up with Spam Cop so when I can be bothered I can report all the spammers with glee.
    But theres so many and its dead boring. Incidentally I'm in the UK and 99.5% of all incoming Spam
    comes from USA, nothing seems to stop it. The rest from Nigeria or Asia. In the UK we have a Mail
    Preference Service to opt out of marketing mail shots, faxes, telexes and also emails. It seems to
    work for me.

    Most of the email I want comes from known senders. I can name them in Message Rules and their
    incoming mail goes into a new Local Folder called Family Inbox and the rest into My Inbox. This way
    the OE Inbox is always empty. Mike

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > SuperSlinky wrote:
    >
    > > If you receive that much spam, then you are doing something wrong. Some rules for keeping spam
    > > to a manageable level:
    > >
    > > 1. Don't configure your news reader to use a valid e-mail address in the headers of newsgroup
    > > posts.
    > >
    > > 2. Don't give your e-mail address to kids or other Internet newbies.
    > >
    > > 3. Always uncheck boxes for receiving e-mail offers when filling out online forms.
    > >
    > > 4. Never respond to any spam, no matter what it says about 'click here' or 'respond to this
    > > address' to remove you from the spam list.
    > >
    > > 5. Don't go to porn, hacking, or software piracy web sites. These cyber- crooks will do
    > > everything in their power to install spyware on your system and harvest any private
    > > information they can about you.
    >
    > These are all fine pieces of advice, but unfortunately it's a case of locking the stable door
    > after the horse has bolted. You need to do this immediately when you have a new mail address. Once
    > you start receiving spam, it will only get worse as your address is traded.
    >
    > Interestingly, my Usenet address (I'm not allowed to mung) that I've been using for the last year
    > or so, still barely receives any spam. A bit of 419 and some skiddies trying to get me to load
    > trojans as 'Microsoft security patches'. I think putting your address in to online forms is the
    > surefire way to guarantee a flooded inbox.

    I get a fair old bit of spam, and I'm pretty much totally sure it's because my addy gets harvested
    from Usenet. I don't fill in on-line forms. The more I post, the more spam I get.

    Shaun aRe

  15. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, bomba wrote:
    > Freeride wrote:
    >
    >> You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you
    >> will never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting
    >> spammed.
    >
    > Explain how switching to Linux stops you getting spam.

    It doesn't. Only FreeBSD does that.

    ;)

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  16. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Freeride wrote:
    > > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:24:11 -0400, Lightweight wrote:
    > >
    > >> What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using Outlook Express now, but I
    > >> have received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and they were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an
    > >> eternity to download and delete ~100 messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid
    > >> the mess, I guess I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam
    > >> blocking feature.
    >
    > I use a thirdparty mail checker called Spam Pal. If they think an email is Spam they put the word
    > Spam in the Subject line. I have set a Message Rule, anything with Spam in the Subject goes direct
    > to Deleted Items. Each time I open OE and bring in mail I just do a quick glance at Deleted Items
    > to see if anything I want slipped thru then one click deletes the lot, or it deletes the lot on
    > switchoff.

    I use SpamPal too. It's pretty good and you can't beat the price. You still have to download the
    messages before deleting them though.

    Matt

  17. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Freeride wrote:
    >
    > > You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you
    > > will never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting
    > > spammed.
    >
    > Explain how switching to Linux stops you getting spam.

    I think for most Windows (end) users, they'd switch and then not be able to operate their computers
    anymore. Problem fixed!

    Matt

  18. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I get a fair old bit of spam, and I'm pretty much totally sure it's
    because
    > my addy gets harvested from Usenet. I don't fill in on-line forms. The
    more
    > I post, the more spam I get.

    You must need a T1 just for email then! ;)

    To me, the worst is "<someone> just sent you an electronic greeting card!". Argh.

    It should really say "<someone> just gave us their email address to sell - and yours too!"

  19. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "Freeride" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:24:11 -0400, Lightweight wrote:
    >
    > > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using
    Outlook
    > > Express now, but I have received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and
    they
    > > were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity to download and delete
    ~100
    > > messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I
    guess
    > > I'm really looking for a freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.
    >

    > You could switch to a real OS like Linux, which has many nice news and mail clients, also you will
    > never be scared to open mail your mail or worry about virus or about your system getting spammed.
    >
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

    Actually, I have Linux Mandrake 7.0 on my system, but I have a winmodem right now and don't feel a
    massive urge to buy a new modem in order to use the internet over Linux. The others are right about
    Linux not stopping my spam, but it sure is a nice operating system, too bad everyone develops for
    Windows though. And don't spam me now about how there is plenty of software for Linux, this is true,
    but it's again not worth my time or the inconvenience.

  20. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What does everyone use to check e-mail and newsgroups??? I'm using
    Outlook
    > Express now, but I have received 186 messages in the last 48 hours and
    they
    > were all spam. On a "56k" it takes an eternity to download and delete
    ~100
    > messages a day. I was just wondering how you guys avoid the mess, I guess I'm really looking for a
    > freeware mail reader that has some sort of spam blocking feature.

    Thanks to everyone, the options in OE6 and I'm gonna also try MailWasher.