OT: Repairing bag ...

elyob

Guest
I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
want to sure up before they tear. I'm guessing some sort of super strong
gaffer tape on the outside, but thought others might have other solutions
from repairing panniers etc. The only difference is that this bag gets
dumped on the floor a lot. I would even consider covering the whole bottom
with some sort of stronger base. However, this is a soft bag, similar to
this http://europe.eastpak.com/products/_auth/terminal.jpg and I'd like to
keep it easily rollable etc.

Thanks

"elyob" <[email protected]> writes:

>I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
>nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
>want to sure up before they tear. I'm guessing some sort of super strong
>gaffer tape on the outside, but thought others might have other solutions
>from repairing panniers etc. The only difference is that this bag gets
>dumped on the floor a lot. I would even consider covering the whole bottom
>with some sort of stronger base. However, this is a soft bag, similar to
>this http://europe.eastpak.com/products/_auth/terminal.jpg and I'd like to
>keep it easily rollable etc.

I've recently repaired the Brompton bag by sowing some strong woven
nylon tape on the inside.
It's like the sort of band that you'd find on rucksacks, comes in a lot of
widths and thicknesses, don't know where you could buy it because it's the
sort of things you just have somewhere in a drawer... I have used bits of
an old strap (for tying things on the roofrack of a car) in the past, but
that may be a bit too inflexible for what you're looking for.

Roos

elyob wrote:
> I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
> nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
> want to sure up before they tear.

If it's the sort of nylon I think it is, it's unlikely to tear easily -
however best to fix it. If you get either some wide webbing like Roos
suggested, or alternatively some more nylon in the form of a cheap
similar bag, then you need access to, or someone with, an industrial
sewing machine and you can sew a giant patch over it, or individual
patches. For industrial sewing machines, try a) your local clothing
repair place (who may not have one, but may know someone who does), b)
tent/marquee people, c) re-enactment groups (who make their own tents).

If it's nothing so dramatic, then supergluing the frayed bits round the
holes should help prevent further tearing.

R.

elyob wrote:
> I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
> nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
> want to sure up before they tear. I'm guessing some sort of super strong
> gaffer tape on the outside, but thought others might have other solutions
> from repairing panniers etc. The only difference is that this bag gets
> dumped on the floor a lot. I would even consider covering the whole bottom
> with some sort of stronger base. However, this is a soft bag, similar to
> this http://europe.eastpak.com/products/_auth/terminal.jpg and I'd like to
> keep it easily rollable etc.

Try a camping shop for groundsheet repair patches e.g.
http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/15197.html

--
Tony

right."