ot SRAM

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chickenbomb, May 11, 2003.

  1. Chickenbomb

    Chickenbomb Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    >> Yes, I am googling, hitting the library and so on.. but I'm looking for some real world input
    >> too. I'm putting together a trip for next year, our 20th anniversary, sans kids.
    >

    > We just got back (yesterday!) from Ambergris Caye from a week of scuba diving. Unfortunately we
    > couldn't see all of their 180 mile long reef wall! But what we did see was awesome. Great place; I
    > met many cool folks and now have some great contacts. Everyone there is quite friendly and crime
    > is virtually nonexistent. What do you plan to do?

    I'll email you

    > To take it back on-topic; they have some great single speeds there to rent; rigid forks and
    > everything to make the purist happy. The locals in their strange native language call them "beach
    > cruisers" ;)

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Chickenbomb wrote:
    > i have the chance to get some of the above gear for cheap but i have never heard of them. has
    > anyone got any dealings with them are they a good company what kinda shimano grading do they fall
    > into or are they better or worse than shimano??

    SRAM make Gripshift, the only major alternative to Shimano. Like Shimano, they have varying degrees
    of quality equipment, with similar ranges in prices.

    Whether they're better or worse than Shimano pretty much comes down to personal preference.

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    "Chickenbomb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i have the chance to get some of the above gear for cheap but i have never heard of them. has
    > anyone got any dealings with them are they a good
    company
    > what kinda shimano grading do they fall into or are they better or worse than shimano??

    OK Chickenbomb... here's the scoop. SRAM is a components manufacturer like Shimano. They make
    several grades of bicycle components for different levels of cyclists, so getting some of their gear
    "for cheap" may or may not be such a good deal. Seems to me you should decide on the component spec
    you need first, then find the best price. If you like twist-style shifting, choose SRAM. If you like
    trigger-style shifting, choose Shimano.

    Of course, if you had visited www.sram.com you would have already known all of this.

    -John Morgan

  4. sorry - which planet did you say you were from?

    "Chickenbomb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... i have the chance to get some of the above
    gear for cheap but i have never heard of them. has anyone got any dealings with them are they a good
    company what kinda shimano grading do they fall into or are they better or worse than shimano??

    thanks guys

    JOhn