OT: Swen virus back?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb 2004
    Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others seeing a resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last
    week? So far in the past week I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have
    MyDoom/Novarg

    Tony

    Tags:

  2. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb 2004
    > Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others
    seeing a
    > resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last week? So far in the past
    week
    > I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have MyDoom/Novarg

    It's back with a vengence. I'm intercepting five or six a day...not quite as bad as the 30-40 a day
    I was receiving last year. I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I use a
    spam trap address for usenet. I've never received any MyDoom infected messages and feel left out ;-)

    Vernon in Leeds

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "vernon levy" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb
    > > 2004 Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others
    > seeing a
    > > resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last week? So far in the past
    > week
    > > I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have MyDoom/Novarg
    >
    > It's back with a vengence. I'm intercepting five or six a day...not quite as bad as the 30-40 a
    > day I was receiving last year. I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I
    > use a spam trap address for usenet. I've never received any MyDoom infected messages and feel
    > left out ;-)

    Spamassassin has intercepted over 200 spams for me in the past 24 hours. I find that impressive.

    ;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

  4. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:15:00 -0000, "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >berlin.de...
    >> I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb 2004
    >> Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others
    >seeing a
    >> resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last week? So far in the past
    >week
    >> I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have MyDoom/Novarg
    >
    >It's back with a vengence. I'm intercepting five or six a day...not quite as bad as the 30-40 a
    >day I was receiving last year. I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I
    >use a spam trap address for usenet. I've never received any MyDoom infected messages and feel
    >left out ;-)
    >
    >Vernon in Leeds

    I get about 3 a day on my yahoo mail account. (Swen) No MyDoom's as of yet :)

    Chris

  5. vernon levy wrote:

    > I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I use a spam trap address
    > for usenet.

    From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90%
    fewer viruses.

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90% fewer
    > viruses.

    No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

    Tony

  7. Tony Raven wrote:

    > No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

    I don't know - Bill seems to go out of his way to make it easy for the purveyors of malware...

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were
    >
    > I don't know - Bill seems to go out of his way to make it easy for the purveyors of malware...

    Not true. He's promised to stop SPAM within two years - by making Windows crash so often the SPAM
    never gets through ;-)

    Tony

  9. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:

    >> From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90% fewer
    >> viruses.
    >
    > No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

    Nonsense. Other mailers don't provide open-house for viruses by ignoring the lessons of more than
    ten years ago, and indeed the MIME standards (mandatory for internet-standard compliant software)
    concerned.

    M$ IIS is by no means as bad as outlook, yet it gets CodeRed, CodeBlue, Nimda, etc. Yet Apache, with
    more then three times Microsoft's market share of webservers, has never had a large-scale outbreak.

    --
    Nick Kew

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Chris Heys" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Re Spam, Spam Spam:

    > I get about 3 a day on my yahoo mail account. (Swen) No MyDoom's as of yet :)

    BT Yahoo directs potential spam to a bulk inbox where it remains for 30 days before being deleted, I
    emptied it last week, there were 3000 messages in it!
    --
    Regards, Pete

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:27:06 -0000, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90% fewer
    >> viruses.

    >No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

    Not so sure. Some email platforms offer things like execution controls which prevent the
    spread of worms.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk