OT: Swen virus back?



Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Raven

Guest
I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb 2004
Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others seeing a resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last
week? So far in the past week I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have
MyDoom/Novarg

Tony
 
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb 2004
> Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others
seeing a
> resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last week? So far in the past
week
> I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have MyDoom/Novarg

It's back with a vengence. I'm intercepting five or six a day...not quite as bad as the 30-40 a day
I was receiving last year. I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I use a
spam trap address for usenet. I've never received any MyDoom infected messages and feel left out ;-)

Vernon in Leeds
 
"vernon levy" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb
> > 2004 Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others
> seeing a
> > resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last week? So far in the past
> week
> > I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have MyDoom/Novarg
>
> It's back with a vengence. I'm intercepting five or six a day...not quite as bad as the 30-40 a
> day I was receiving last year. I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I
> use a spam trap address for usenet. I've never received any MyDoom infected messages and feel
> left out ;-)

Spamassassin has intercepted over 200 spams for me in the past 24 hours. I find that impressive.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
 
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:15:00 -0000, "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>berlin.de...
>> I seem to have a torrent of Swen-A viruses coming through updated to offer things like a Feb 2004
>> Microsoft patch. Is it just me or are others
>seeing a
>> resurgence following the luverly MyDoom last week? So far in the past
>week
>> I've had two and half times as many Swen infected messages as I have MyDoom/Novarg
>
>It's back with a vengence. I'm intercepting five or six a day...not quite as bad as the 30-40 a
>day I was receiving last year. I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I
>use a spam trap address for usenet. I've never received any MyDoom infected messages and feel
>left out ;-)
>
>Vernon in Leeds
>

I get about 3 a day on my yahoo mail account. (Swen) No MyDoom's as of yet :)

Chris
 
vernon levy wrote:

> I am curious as to how my email address is being harvested as I use a spam trap address
> for usenet.

From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90%
fewer viruses.
 
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
> From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90% fewer
> viruses.

No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

Tony
 
Tony Raven wrote:

> No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

I don't know - Bill seems to go out of his way to make it easy for the purveyors of malware...
 
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were
>
> I don't know - Bill seems to go out of his way to make it easy for the purveyors of malware...

Not true. He's promised to stop SPAM within two years - by making Windows crash so often the SPAM
never gets through ;-)

Tony
 
In article <[email protected]>,
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:

>> From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90% fewer
>> viruses.
>
> No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

Nonsense. Other mailers don't provide open-house for viruses by ignoring the lessons of more than
ten years ago, and indeed the MIME standards (mandatory for internet-standard compliant software)
concerned.

M$ IIS is by no means as bad as outlook, yet it gets CodeRed, CodeBlue, Nimda, etc. Yet Apache, with
more then three times Microsoft's market share of webservers, has never had a large-scale outbreak.

--
Nick Kew
 
"Chris Heys" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Re Spam, Spam Spam:

> I get about 3 a day on my yahoo mail account. (Swen) No MyDoom's as of yet :)

BT Yahoo directs potential spam to a bulk inbox where it remains for 30 days before being deleted, I
emptied it last week, there were 3000 messages in it!
--
Regards, Pete
 
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:27:06 -0000, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> From other people's Outlook address books. If the world stopped using OE we'd have 90% fewer
>> viruses.

>No we'd have the same number of viruses on whatever the most popular platforms were

Not so sure. Some email platforms offer things like execution controls which prevent the
spread of worms.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

C
Replies
6
Views
638
W
E
Replies
47
Views
2K
G
R
Replies
28
Views
930
T