OT - The Now Show, Radio 4, 2nd and 3rd March

al Mossah

Guest
Marcus Brigstock had an absolutely spendid rant about all the "knobs"
who signed the anti-road-pricing petition. Well worth a listen again
- Go to www.bbc.co.uk, radio 4, listen again.

Peter.

In message <[email protected]>, al
Mossah <[email protected]> writes
>Marcus Brigstock had an absolutely spendid rant about all the "knobs"
>who signed the anti-road-pricing petition. Well worth a listen again
>- Go to www.bbc.co.uk, radio 4, listen again.

May I interject a note of ambivalence? Whilst I am generally in favour
of road pricing, be it in the form of petrol taxes, vehicle excise duty
(or whatever its called), road tolls etc., I am absolutely against
having a GPS devise in my car giving my location, historical and in real
time, to whosoever the government decides should have access to it.

Think how it would actually work in practice. Its not beyond the wit of
man to disconnect a GPS device in an attempt to avoid paying road
charges. The government of course knows this, so to prevent this
infringement would have to set up a system of cameras, fixed and random,
to compare GPS locations vs actual sightings.

Great, so as well as being tagged by GPS, there will a huge swathe of
cameras across the UK road network monitoring us all the time. Yeh, yeh,
noting to hide nothing to fear etc., etc. Its not just a little
Orwellian, it goes beyond what even he considered possible.

So, I voted with the car lobby and if I am a "knob", so be it.
--
Bob Downie
Devotee of the wheel

Bob Downie wrote:

> May I interject a note of ambivalence? Whilst I am generally in favour
> of road pricing, be it in the form of petrol taxes, vehicle excise duty
> (or whatever its called), road tolls etc., I am absolutely against
> having a GPS devise in my car giving my location, historical and in real
> time, to whosoever the government decides should have access to it.

Who said it was going to use GPS?

There was a great article in the Sunday Post of all places,
which pointed out that there had been circulating many 'scare tactic'
emails contaning downright untruths, such as the 'GPS tracking' in order
to get those 1.8 million people to sign up.
Article sadly no longer on line, but it was a cracker.

On Mar 5, 12:12 pm, "al Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marcus Brigstock had an absolutely spendid rant about all the "knobs"
> who signed the anti-road-pricing petition. Well worth a listen again
> - Go towww.bbc.co.uk, radio 4, listen again.

I completely agree with you. I found it absolutely well pitched, and
about the only coherent voice I've heard for it on the BBC.

On Mon, 5 Mar, Bob Downie <BobMail@downie-geo#n0spam#.co.uk> wrote:

> May I interject a note of ambivalence? Whilst I am generally in favour
> of road pricing, be it in the form of petrol taxes, vehicle excise duty
> (or whatever its called), road tolls etc., I am absolutely against
> having a GPS devise in my car giving my location, historical and in real
> time, to whosoever the government decides should have access to it.

I take it you don't have a mobile phone?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

al Mossah wrote:
> Marcus Brigstock had an absolutely spendid rant about all the "knobs"
> who signed the anti-road-pricing petition. Well worth a listen again
> - Go to www.bbc.co.uk, radio 4, listen again.

The Now Show's always one of the funniest programmes on the radio, but
this was an exceptionally good episode with the rant about driving on
the phone at the beginning and the "Size Zero" song at the end.

"Bob Downie" <BobMail@downie-geo#n0spam#.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, al
> Mossah <[email protected]> writes
>>Marcus Brigstock had an absolutely spendid rant about all the "knobs"
>>who signed the anti-road-pricing petition. Well worth a listen again
>>- Go to www.bbc.co.uk, radio 4, listen again.

> So, I voted with the car lobby and if I am a "knob", so be it.
> --
> Bob Downie
> Devotee of the wheel
> please remove #n0spam# to reply directly

Bob: yes, you are a knob.

It has removed 851 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Bob Downie wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, al
> Mossah <[email protected]> writes
>> Marcus Brigstock had an absolutely spendid rant about all the "knobs"
>> who signed the anti-road-pricing petition. Well worth a listen again
>> - Go to www.bbc.co.uk, radio 4, listen again.

> May I interject a note of ambivalence? Whilst I am generally in favour
> of road pricing, be it in the form of petrol taxes, vehicle excise duty
> (or whatever its called), road tolls etc., I am absolutely against
> having a GPS devise in my car giving my location, historical and in real
> time, to whosoever the government decides should have access to it.
>
> Think how it would actually work in practice. Its not beyond the wit of
> man to disconnect a GPS device in an attempt to avoid paying road
> charges. The government of course knows this, so to prevent this
> infringement would have to set up a system of cameras, fixed and random,
> to compare GPS locations vs actual sightings.
>
> Great, so as well as being tagged by GPS, there will a huge swathe of
> cameras across the UK road network monitoring us all the time. Yeh, yeh,
> noting to hide nothing to fear etc., etc. Its not just a little
> Orwellian, it goes beyond what even he considered possible.
>
> So, I voted with the car lobby and if I am a "knob", so be it.

GPS? Could cause problems when you drive under any trees or along steep
sided valleys

Bob Downie wrote:

> Its not just a little
> Orwellian, it goes beyond what even he considered possible.

Um, I think you need to read 1984 again!