OT:YHA

Sam Salt

Guest
This is a bit of a rant to make me feel better.

Just tried to book a YHA Hostel for four nights next April for a few
days tandeming in Norfolk.

"Sorry full with school parties"

Well that is it as far as the YHA is concerned ( and I've been a member
for 34 years ),I'll find a B & B both now and in the future.

I am sick and tired over the years of hearing the same old story," If it
wasn't for school parties etc. etc. ......."

It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
the hostel is full of non-members.

There thats better.

Sam Salt

Sam Salt wrote:

> This is a bit of a rant to make me feel better.
>
> Just tried to book a YHA Hostel for four nights next April for a few
> days tandeming in Norfolk.
>
> "Sorry full with school parties"
>
> Well that is it as far as the YHA is concerned ( and I've been a member
> for 34 years ),I'll find a B & B both now and in the future.
>
> I am sick and tired over the years of hearing the same old story," If it
> wasn't for school parties etc. etc. ......."
>
> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> the hostel is full of non-members.
>
> There thats better.
>
> Sam Salt

Well said ,
gave up on YHA 10 years ago on the same principle
although have used them as a non member once on a cycling club group
card
B & B much more civilised and nowadays not much dearer
However SYHA .........................................................

Andy S

Andy S wrote:
> Sam Salt wrote:
>
>> This is a bit of a rant to make me feel better.
>>
>> Just tried to book a YHA Hostel for four nights next April for a few
>> days tandeming in Norfolk.
>>
>> "Sorry full with school parties"
>>
>> Well that is it as far as the YHA is concerned ( and I've been a member
>> for 34 years ),I'll find a B & B both now and in the future.
>>
>> I am sick and tired over the years of hearing the same old story," If it
>> wasn't for school parties etc. etc. ......."
>>
>> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
>> the hostel is full of non-members.
>>
>> There thats better.
>>
>> Sam Salt

> Well said ,
> gave up on YHA 10 years ago on the same principle
> although have used them as a non member once on a cycling club group
> card
> B & B much more civilised and nowadays not much dearer
> However SYHA .........................................................
>
> Andy S

I abandoned my YHA membership last year in favour of SYHA

On 21/08/2006 19:52, Sam Salt said,

> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> the hostel is full of non-members.

My mother used to use YHA hostels a lot on her cycle tours, but gave up
about 10 years ago in favour of B&Bs because of the number of people
turning up in cars who just wanted a cheap place to stay, leaving no
room for walkers or cyclists.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Sam Salt wrote:

> This is a bit of a rant to make me feel better.
>
> Just tried to book a YHA Hostel for four nights next April for a few
> days tandeming in Norfolk.
>
> "Sorry full with school parties"
>
> Well that is it as far as the YHA is concerned ( and I've been a member
> for 34 years ),I'll find a B & B both now and in the future.
>
> I am sick and tired over the years of hearing the same old story," If it
> wasn't for school parties etc. etc. ......."
>
> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> the hostel is full of non-members.

The hostel probably won't be full either as school parties now insist on
sole occupancy irrespective of how many beds they will use, in case of
pervs, drunks and other perceived undesirables.

As its no longer necessary to be a member to stay, we have not renewed
either this year (I beat you by two years on membership).

YHA has totally lost the plot, but it is good to see a number of
independent 'hostels' opening that care more about the visitors than
selling off the family silver.
It is also possible to find Travel Lodges and similar at prices below the
YHA's.

Then there is also the tent - which we tend to prefer anyway.

John B

Sam Salt wrote:
> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> the /youth/ hostel is full of youths.

IFYPFY ;-)

d.

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is a bit of a rant to make me feel better.
>
> Just tried to book a YHA Hostel for four nights next April for a few days
> tandeming in Norfolk.
>
> "Sorry full with school parties"
>
> Well that is it as far as the YHA is concerned ( and I've been a member
> for 34 years ),I'll find a B & B both now and in the future.
>
> I am sick and tired over the years of hearing the same old story," If it
> wasn't for school parties etc. etc. ......."
>
> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> the hostel is full of non-members.
>
> There thats better.
>
> Sam Salt

I too let my membership lapse for exactly the same reasons. The YHA has lost
the plot when it comes to the independent traveller who wants to arrive by
foot or bicycle.

John

John B said the following on 21/08/2006 21:33:

> The hostel probably won't be full either as school parties now insist on
> sole occupancy irrespective of how many beds they will use, in case of
> pervs, drunks and other perceived undesirables.

Are your serious???

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

MSeries wrote:

> I abandoned my YHA membership last year in favour of SYHA

do the SYHA have hostels in England? ;-)

btw the one in Edinburgh was one of the best I've stayed in (apart from
one in Holland -Domberg- which was a proper castle with a moat)

Paul Boyd wrote:
> John B said the following on 21/08/2006 21:33:
>
>> The hostel probably won't be full either as school parties now insist on
>> sole occupancy irrespective of how many beds they will use, in case of
>> pervs, drunks and other perceived undesirables.

> Are your serious???

Yes I am afraid he is.

Sam Salt

Sam Salt said the following on 22/08/2006 09:43:

> Yes I am afraid he is.

I hope they at least pay for the total number of beds available if that
is the case, rather than just the ones they occupy.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd said:
John B said the following on 21/08/2006 21:33:

> The hostel probably won't be full either as school parties now insist on
> sole occupancy irrespective of how many beds they will use, in case of
> pervs, drunks and other perceived undesirables.

Are your serious???

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Unfortunately, yes he is.

Bryan

davek wrote:
> Sam Salt wrote:
> > It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> > the /youth/ hostel is full of youths.

> IFYPFY ;-)

The YHA's founding aim was "To help all, especially young people of
limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the
countryside, particularly by providing hostels or other simple
accommodation for them in their travels, and thus to promote their
health, rest and education."

So while the emphasis was on catering for young people there has never
been an upper age limit for hostellers in Great Britain.

--
Dave...

davek wrote:
> Sam Salt wrote:
>> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance
>> as the /youth/ hostel is full of youths.

> IFYPFY ;-)
>
> d.

I have no objection to a youth hostel being full of *youths*.

What I do object to is school parties taking over the whole place ( as
mentioned by another poster )to the exclusion of paying members of the
YHA.Very few members of school parties will be actual YHA
members.Therefore the place is full of non-members.Just like the new *
pay a bit extra and anyone can stop* malarkey.

I have even had the case of every hostel in a small area being full with
school parties all at the same time.

I remember when foot and mouth took hold the YHA were screaming for
members to stay to keep hostels open as the school parties stopped
coming.Now F & M is gone it's back to *business as usual*,school parties
welcome,paying members fit in where you can,if you're lucky.

Sam Salt

dkahn400 wrote:
> davek wrote:
> > Sam Salt wrote:
> > > It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
> > > the /youth/ hostel is full of youths.

> > IFYPFY ;-)

> The YHA's founding aim was "To help all, especially young people of
> limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the
> countryside, particularly by providing hostels or other simple
> accommodation for them in their travels, and thus to promote their
> health, rest and education."
>
> So while the emphasis was on catering for young people there has never
> been an upper age limit for hostellers in Great Britain.

And during the 80's and 90's it degenerated into cheap accommodation
for ex walkers and cyclists to drive to.

I'd love tehre to be an appropriate network of accommodation that my
kids when they are teenagers can travel to and cook for themselves.
What is the lower age limit now for unaccompanied youths?

...d (Life member since 16).

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> davek wrote:
>> Sam Salt wrote:
>>> It has come to something when you can't get a bed 8 months in advance as
>>> the /youth/ hostel is full of youths.

>> IFYPFY ;-)
>>
>> d.

> I have no objection to a youth hostel being full of *youths*.
>
> What I do object to is school parties taking over the whole place ( as
> mentioned by another poster )to the exclusion of paying members of the
> YHA.Very few members of school parties will be actual YHA
> members.Therefore the place is full of non-members.Just like the new * pay
> a bit extra and anyone can stop* malarkey.
>
> I have even had the case of every hostel in a small area being full with
> school parties all at the same time.
>
> I remember when foot and mouth took hold the YHA were screaming for
> members to stay to keep hostels open as the school parties stopped
> coming.Now F & M is gone it's back to *business as usual*,school parties
> welcome,paying members fit in where you can,if you're lucky.
>
> Sam Salt

I remember the Foot & Mouth outbreak, my wife and I done a tour around the
Peak District staying at hostels. Apart from one other person we had the
Sherwood Forest hostel to ourselves.

John

John said the following on 22/08/2006 12:15:

> I remember the Foot & Mouth outbreak, my wife and I done a tour around the
> Peak District staying at hostels. Apart from one other person we had the
> Sherwood Forest hostel to ourselves.

I was on a walking holiday in the Lake District at the time, basing
myself at Ravenglass (a dead-end town if ever there was one!). All the
walkers were diligently dipping boots and sticks at every dipping point,
and driving very slowly as instructed over the disinfectant-soaked
carpets in the road. Local farmers seemed to be ignoring all of this!

The hills were very quiet, it has to be said!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:

> John B said the following on 21/08/2006 21:33:
>
> > The hostel probably won't be full either as school parties now insist on
> > sole occupancy irrespective of how many beds they will use, in case of
> > pervs, drunks and other perceived undesirables.

> Are your serious???

Regrettably I'm *very* serious :-(

At least on this issue.

John B

John B wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
>
> > John B said the following on 21/08/2006 21:33:
> >
> > > The hostel probably won't be full either as school parties now insist on
> > > sole occupancy irrespective of how many beds they will use, in case of
> > > pervs, drunks and other perceived undesirables.

> > Are your serious???

> Regrettably I'm *very* serious :-(
>
> At least on this issue.

That is probably the stated reason. In reality it's possibly because
the school doesn't want to have to apologise to other residents for the
out of control and loutish behaviour of the students.

<rant>
Society is becoming too segmented horizontally, where the only
significant interaction outside of the ever dwindling family that a
child has is with people the same age. This can only be a bad thing for
society as young people then try to impress others of their age rather
than those they look up to.
</rant>

...d