Outboard Engines

Carrera said:
...Bosch rotary injection pumps have internal pumps so there is no need for a crankshaft driven diaphragm pump to be fitted...
Carrera - All injection pumps have pumps (that's what they are), and all will handle a small amount of suction head. It is preferable not to have your injection pump having to fight against suction head - not only does it make hard work for them, but it also allows air to be introduced to the system if there is not 100% sealing all the way from the fuel tank's fuel level upwards (air will get through cracks that diesel won't.
Are you 100% sure that the vehicles which use your model of engine don't have a fuel pump located inside, or outside, of the tank? It is unusual to expect an injection pump to cope with the head and friction losses associated with dragging the fuel from a remote tank.
My diesel doesn't use a lift pump - it has the fuel tank located higher than the injection pump.
What size of Mariner did you get? The smaller ones don't have a reverse - they rotate 360º. Be aware that, whilst a small engine will be able to get your canal boat moving, it may not be very effective in manuevering it (ie. Use your existing rudder for turning) and, more particularly, in stopping it once you're underway.
Getting totally off topic - I have fond memories of towing a 1 ton mooring assembly with a zodiac fitted with a little 4hp outboard, coping with the 11m tidal movements of Northern Australia (had to wait for a king tide to float the assembly, which was temporarily tied off to empty 44's for buoyancy). At first it turned to shite, as all that happened was the zodiac pointed whichever way you made it, whilst the outboard and towed assembly carried on moving whichever way they felt like moving. Through my beer-steeped brain cells, I finally figured that I should tie the tow off to the bow and reverse the outboard to go stern first. It then went like a dream, using the outboard to keep us trimmed as we found the 5kn tidal current to get us to Spot X.
We had one single poly line wrapped around the drums and the assembly, so that cutting the line would release the 44's and allow the assembly to sink, and the permanent float to...float. When we got to Spot X, touching that line with a knife was like Hiroshima revisited - It went off like a frog in a sock. A veritable mushroom cloud of bloody 44's flying through the air. Excellent mayhem with a superb result. That mooring was still in place when I left a couple of years later, and it survived numerous cyclone strikes and gunshot wounds without giving up.
It was one of those "Give me a big enough lever, and I'll move the World" type scenario's. I used to get a kick out of just looking out from the cliffs at that mooring sitting out there (well, perhaps the kick was more associated with the beer I was drinking).

Boats almost never have Bosh injection pumps. Most boats also have easier injection pumps which you can take off without having to worry about the timing belt.
My pump is driven via the injection pump sprocket which connects to the timing belt so to change the pump you need to reset the engine timing.
Someone on the boat forum had me buying an electric fuel-delivery-pump which I got from a scrapyard some time ago. I now know fitting it may have been catastrophic. It would be trying to deliver diesel to the injection pump inlet hose, possibly at a greater rate than the injectors could deal with.
I think my Mariner is 2.5. Do you know Anything about this engine? I figured 2 stroke is less hassle with no valve timing or timing belt to worry about. Pollution is not so good, though. These engines just pump the oil and petrol through the system and cough it out again.
I intend to buy the Mariner engine workshop manual.

EoinC said:
Carrera - All injection pumps have pumps (that's what they are), and all will handle a small amount of suction head. It is preferable not to have your injection pump having to fight against suction head - not only does it make hard work for them, but it also allows air to be introduced to the system if there is not 100% sealing all the way from the fuel tank's fuel level upwards (air will get through cracks that diesel won't.
Are you 100% sure that the vehicles which use your model of engine don't have a fuel pump located inside, or outside, of the tank? It is unusual to expect an injection pump to cope with the head and friction losses associated with dragging the fuel from a remote tank.
My diesel doesn't use a lift pump - it has the fuel tank located higher than the injection pump.
What size of Mariner did you get? The smaller ones don't have a reverse - they rotate 360º. Be aware that, whilst a small engine will be able to get your canal boat moving, it may not be very effective in manuevering it (ie. Use your existing rudder for turning) and, more particularly, in stopping it once you're underway.
Getting totally off topic - I have fond memories of towing a 1 ton mooring assembly with a zodiac fitted with a little 4hp outboard, coping with the 11m tidal movements of Northern Australia (had to wait for a king tide to float the assembly, which was temporarily tied off to empty 44's for buoyancy). At first it turned to shite, as all that happened was the zodiac pointed whichever way you made it, whilst the outboard and towed assembly carried on moving whichever way they felt like moving. Through my beer-steeped brain cells, I finally figured that I should tie the tow off to the bow and reverse the outboard to go stern first. It then went like a dream, using the outboard to keep us trimmed as we found the 5kn tidal current to get us to Spot X.
We had one single poly line wrapped around the drums and the assembly, so that cutting the line would release the 44's and allow the assembly to sink, and the permanent float to...float. When we got to Spot X, touching that line with a knife was like Hiroshima revisited - It went off like a frog in a sock. A veritable mushroom cloud of bloody 44's flying through the air. Excellent mayhem with a superb result. That mooring was still in place when I left a couple of years later, and it survived numerous cyclone strikes and gunshot wounds without giving up.
It was one of those "Give me a big enough lever, and I'll move the World" type scenario's. I used to get a kick out of just looking out from the cliffs at that mooring sitting out there (well, perhaps the kick was more associated with the beer I was drinking).

EoinC said:
G'day, SB. She's 3/4" carvel-planked jarrah...
I took her out for some good shakedowns while I was home. Managed to lacerate myself quite exquisitely whilst scraping the barnacles off her, and ended up with barnacle-elbow after 2 days of such. The prop looked like something Gaudi might have created. She's ended up pretty slick, although she's ready for antifouling, and she'll be needing a wipe down by the time I get back.
I took her out one day when it was gusting to 30+ knots, and she behaved admirably, with just a staysail up. She handles chop like a dream.
I have to climb the mast when I get back down to Oz in a couple of weeks - That'll be a fine sight for any passersby. Nothing like the vision of a lump of lard clinging to a masthead to make someone's day a little brighter.
I've got a list of to-do items as long as my barnacle-lacerated arm. Most of it is small shite, and all of it is enjoyable.
This time home will see the first series of overnighters on her as a shakedown for a longer trip down South to Geolographe Bay. I'm trying to figure out whether I can hang a hammock off the boom with the topping lift.
I'd used the diesel Yanmar for a few hours over a number of outings, and figured I'd better top up the tank, which wasn't full when I started - I managed to squeeze in just over 1 litre. Running her at chaff-cutting speeds, she runs on an oily rag. Not much point in revving her guts out, either, as she doesn't go any faster.