Outdoor Storage Solution for High End Bikes

Limbatus

Jul 12, 2010
I recently moved into a new house, and my roommates are not cool with my fleet of bike sitting in the living room. Normally, I would not consider leaving these bikes outside, but now I will be forced to. Does anybody keep their bikes in a rubbermaid or eqv garden shed? Can a basic enclosure like this compare with conditioned interior space in terms of shelter? I want to keep my bikes free of corrosion and running smoothly. thanks

Just a small house in a high rent town. Not much space. Wish I had a better solution.

what is it that makes inside so much better? why are bikes at risk outside if they are stored safe from rain and sun?

Originally Posted by Limbatus .

what is it that makes inside so much better? why are bikes at risk outside if they are stored safe from rain and sun?
Really, it depends on where you are, but the concern ( if there is one) is usually condensation.
If you have a certain amount of humidity, and a certain change in temperature between day/night, you may end up getting condensation on primarily metal surfaces as you go into the cooler hours of the day. And condensation is a regular driver of corrosion.
Inside, you don't have much of a temperature change, so no condensation.

If you're really near the coast, you can also get what's basically salt spray from the sea blown in, which is a real booster for corrosion rates.

Me, I wouldn't worry too much about condensation-driven corrosion. If the bike isn't protected already, it's easy enough to keep on top of that. Salt spray, I haven't had to deal with.
I'd be more worried about risk of theft. Theft from bike racks, storage areas etc are a lot more common than theft from living quarters.

"what is it that makes inside so much better?"

Humidity control. Your options are to use a dehumidifier or heater (or both) in a shed or garage. For long term storage there are coatings that can be applied to metal surfaces to prevent corrosion.

Limbatus said:
Risk outside: theft, poor environmental control, theft, and theft.

Theft? I figure cash value alone wrapped up in my current bike is around $3500, and I'm on the low end of the good stuff. And it is typically in high rent towns where bike thieves know their inventory.

danfoz said:
Theft? I figure cash value alone wrapped up in my current bike is around $3500, and I'm on the low end of the good stuff. And it is typically in high rent towns where bike thieves know their inventory.
Circle gets the square.

I live in the mountains about a mile from the ocean. Theft is not a major concern in my neighborhood, but temperature fluctuation is pretty significant. I see condensation regularly in the mornings. I wonder if a bucket of descicant would suffice. I don't really want to get into electric heat and dehumidification if I can avoid it.

Limbatus said:
I live in the mountains about a mile from the ocean. Theft is not a major concern in my neighborhood, but temperature fluctuation is pretty significant. I see condensation regularly in the mornings. I wonder if a bucket of descicant would suffice. I don't really want to get into electric heat and dehumidification if I can avoid it.
Whether a desiccant would work or not depends on the desiccate in question, it's exposed surface area, the humidity, and the volume of the room (assuming the room is sealed from the outside environment). Frankly, before I opted for a shed, I'd look for a storage solution for inside the house that minimizes the space required.

... Does anybody keep their bikes in a rubbermaid or eqv garden shed? Can a basic enclosure like this compare with conditioned interior space in terms of shelter? I want to keep my bikes free of corrosion and running smoothly. thanks
A Rubbermaid (I've had one) or other type similar structure will keep bikes dry. It won't keep them dust and cob-web free. I don't know it they'll be stolen. Anything would be better than chained to tree with a tarp tied over them.

A commercial storage unit might be a consideration... but to what end? Is this a collection of bicycles you regularly enjoy riding... or a collection you enjoy owning and preserving? Or are you building, restoring, and trading these bicycles as a side-line part-time thing? Maybe it is time to decide where your going with the bicycles and make a plan.

"I live in the mountains about a mile from the ocean."

You may have salt corrosion to concern yourself with.

"I wonder if a bucket of descicant would suffice."

It has been my experience that dessicants offer very limited protection in unsealed unvironments and they require constant drying in an oven to get rid of the moisture they have absorbed.

Here's What needs to get stashed:

Yeti ARC
Kestrel Road
Felt Road
Yeti ASR-5
Canondale Caad X
Trek Domane 6.2
Ridley Xfire Disc

the Trek, and the Ridley are ridden 3-4 days a week, and the Cannondale takes me to the bars at night. The others rarely get used and could potentially be sold.

Craigslist:

men seeking women;

@@@@@Attractive hetero male looking for a mate@@@@@

24 yr. old male with athletic build, workout freak, social drinker seeks 21-30 SWF. Looks not an issue. Weight not a concern. Can smoke and/or do drugs. 2400 Sq. Ft. heated storage a must.

Due to spammers, emails will be ignored. Call 867-5309

I live in the mountains about a mile from the ocean. Theft is not a major concern in my neighborhood,........
I wish my problems started out: I live in a nice mountain neighborhood about a mile from the ocean.... and have so many nice bicycles... I don't what to do.

Well, if you can deal with the theft and direct exposure to the elements problems, it's not terribly difficult to deal with condensation in an unconditioned space. A small fan pointed at the bike would likely do it, or a breathable cover such as a heavy painter's canvas tarp--NO PLASTIC. Sealing it up tight would be a mistake. Regular inspection and lubrication will also help.

i've also been looking into a program called bike station.
http://home.bikestation.com/
anybody using this?