P-plater caught towing cyclist

Friday

Guest
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pplater-caught-towing-cyclist/2007/02/15/1171405329485.html

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

Friday wrote:
> Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

> Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
> passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at
> about 60km/h.

Not me. In my youf we used to get a tow from a mate's motorcycle by holding
hands with the passenger, but that was long before helmets (for both cycles
an motorcycles) and when cycling was still safe. Never went over 50mph
before we chickened out. :)

Theo

Friday wrote:
> Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pplater-caught-towing-cyclist/2007/02/15/1171405329485.html
>

> A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
> a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e
>
> Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
> Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.
>
> Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
> passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
> 60km/h.
>
> The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
> city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
> with a traffic infringement notice.
>
> AAP

I don't get it ... why wasn't the cyclist charged? I have occasionally
"grabbed a tow" from a truck or bus, the driver was never consulted :)

On 2007-02-15, Patrick Keogh (aka Bruce)
> Friday wrote:
>> The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
>> city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
>> with a traffic infringement notice.
>>

> I don't get it ... why wasn't the cyclist charged? I have occasionally
> "grabbed a tow" from a truck or bus, the driver was never consulted :)

He got away obviously.

--
TimC
It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt ax. It is equally vain

Friday wrote:

> Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
> passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
> 60km/h.

Only doing 60k. Obviously the report is wrong. The cyclist was actually
pushing the Car. The P-Plater had run outta fuel.

Friday said:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pplater-caught-towing-cyclist/2007/02/15/1171405329485.html

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

So finally a driver does something nice for a cyclist and gets fined for his effort.

Pat

Evan said:
Friday wrote:

> Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
> passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
> 60km/h.

Only doing 60k. Obviously the report is wrong. The cyclist was actually
pushing the Car. The P-Plater had run outta fuel.
Obviously... and as they were both off to the the beach from across town...why not co-operate.

Mayfield to Nobby's, not exactly a short tow...no wonder plod had time to get a call, attend and apprehend at least one of them...

Friday said:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pplater-caught-towing-cyclist/2007/02/15/1171405329485.html

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP
i cant believe that consistitutes "news".....

Next headline:

"P-Plater gets speeding fine"

Friday said:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pplater-caught-towing-cyclist/2007/02/15/1171405329485.html

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP
Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove swamps.
Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.

We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.

SteveA

SteveA said:
Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove swamps.
Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.

We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.

SteveA
Lived for a while (last century) just north of Newcastle in Port Stephens up in New South on the North Shore inside the heads (Yacaaba) there is a long sweeping crescent beach (Jimmy's) with shallow water, and when the surf was down, the fishing off, no wind to Sail and no beer in the esky, we would hook up a long rope to the pre-4wd era VW Beetle "Beach Buggies", knick the kid's boogie boards and rope ski/surf .... 'twas before things like Pub Liability and risk assessments got heavy and it became a bit of a community past-time for the younger locals...( both of which I was at the time)...if the bay was crowded, we could head to the ocean beach and north of town was a 20+ klm beach stretching up to the Myall Lakes National Park and it became the "corso"... ahhh things we did and of course would never suggest be repeated...someone might just have some fun and Nanny State would get involved...

SteveA wrote:
> Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
> Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
> required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
> swamps.
> Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.
>
> We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
> traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.
>

> SteveA

saw a tractor towing a skier on an irrigation channel once near Mulwala.

DaveB

"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Friday Wrote:
>> Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/2fhequ
>>

>> A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
>> a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e
>>
>> Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
>> Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.
>>
>> Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
>> passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at
>> about
>> 60km/h.
>>
>> The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
>> city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was
>> issued
>> with a traffic infringement notice.
>>
>> AAP

> Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
> Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
> required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
> swamps.
> Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.
>
> We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
> traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.
>

> SteveA
>

> --
> SteveA

I towed a mate on a surfboard behind my 14 foot skate sailing boat on lake
Macquarie many years ago.

Going upwind was a bit hard for him to stand up, but once we went downwind
and got the spinaker up he was getting a good ride.

rooman wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>> Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
>> Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
>> required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
>> swamps.
>> Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.
>>
>> We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
>> traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.
>>

>> SteveA

> Lived for a while (last century) just north of Newcastle in Port
> Stephens up in New South on the North Shore inside the heads (Yacaaba)
> there is a long sweeping crescent beach (Jimmy's) with shallow water,
> and when the surf was down, the fishing off, no wind to Sail and no
> beer in the esky, we would hook up a long rope to the pre-4wd era VW
> Beetle "Beach Buggies", knick the kid's boogie boards and rope ski/surf
> ... 'twas before things like Pub Liability and risk assessments got
> heavy and it became a bit of a community past-time for the younger
> locals...( both of which I was at the time)...if the bay was crowded,
> we could head to the ocean beach and north of town was a 20+ klm beach
> stretching up to the Myall Lakes National Park and it became the
> "corso"... ahhh things we did and of course would never suggest be
> repeated...someone might just have some fun and Nanny State would get
> involved...

At a muddy spot near my town I saw a guy getting towed around on an
upturned bonnet of an FJ holden. He was getting towed by an old ute.

Friday

On Feb 15, 3:17 pm, rooman <rooman.2m1...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:> Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
> > Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
> > required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
> > swamps.
> > Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.

> > We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
> > traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.

> > SteveA

> Lived for a while (last century) just north of Newcastle in Port
> Stephens up in New South on the North Shore inside the heads (Yacaaba)
> there is a long sweeping crescent beach (Jimmy's) with shallow water,
> and when the surf was down, the fishing off, no wind to Sail and no
> beer in the esky, we would hook up a long rope to the pre-4wd era VW
> Beetle "Beach Buggies", knick the kid's boogie boards and rope ski/surf
> .... 'twas before things like Pub Liability and risk assessments got
> heavy and it became a bit of a community past-time for the younger
> locals...( both of which I was at the time)...if the bay was crowded,
> we could head to the ocean beach and north of town was a 20+ klm beach
> stretching up to the Myall Lakes National Park and it became the
> "corso"... ahhh things we did and of course would never suggest be
> repeated...someone might just have some fun and Nanny State would get
> involved...

We used to water-ski behind an IRB for kicks as kids, and for a long
time, half moon bay at Black Rock was known by a select few as full
moon bay after a particularly hot sunday afternoon and a bare bummed
'close beach pass' was undertaken .... Lucky we weren't able to go
very fast, or it may have been 'split **** bay' when we fell over,
hysterical juvenile laughter after the *entire* population at the
beach that day stopped, dropped their collective jaws and pointed was
not conducive to any sort of balance, which was tenuous at best at the
sort of speed that little duck used to do towing a skier. These days
we'd have at least scored a mention in the local rag, maybe front page
story on the idiots-affairs shows on 7 or 9, but back then ...
nothing!

Boostland said:
I towed a mate on a surfboard behind my 14 foot skate sailing boat on lake
Macquarie many years ago.

Going upwind was a bit hard for him to stand up, but once we went downwind
and got the spinaker up he was getting a good ride.

Going back a few weeks ago, the deluge in the Flinders Ranges may of inspired similar recreational activity by bored locals waiting for the water levels to go down. Only speculation of course. ;)

In article <[email protected]>,
Friday <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pplater-caught-towing-cyclist/2007/02/1
> 5/1171405329485.html
>

> A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
> a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e
>
> Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
> Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.
>
> Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
> passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
> 60km/h.
>
> The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
> city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
> with a traffic infringement notice.

Is there actually a traffic rule against this?
--

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:52:00 +1100, SteveA
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
>Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
>required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
>swamps.
>Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.
>
>We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
>traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.

Ah. Then I probably shouldn't mention the irrigation channels around
Waranga Baisin, Shep and areas around.

--
Regards.
Richard.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:41:06 +0000, Artoi wrote:

>> The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
>> city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
>> with a traffic infringement notice.

> Is there actually a traffic rule against this?

Dangerous driving probably covers it, but there is one specifically for
the rider (actually since this doesn't include a bike, there could be
scope for argument):

244 Holding onto a moving vehicleA person travelling in or on a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy must not hold onto a vehicle while the vehicle is moving. Penalty: Offence provision. Note: "Vehicle" is defined in rule 15.

There's also S.295 (
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/arr210/s295.html ),
which deals with towing another vehicle.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"When all you've got is a nailgun, every problem looks like a messiah."

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:40:04 +1100, "Boostland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I towed a mate on a surfboard behind my 14 foot skate sailing boat on lake
>Macquarie many years ago.

Not bad.

>Going upwind was a bit hard for him to stand up, but once we went downwind
>and got the spinaker up he was getting a good ride.

Makes it difficult to steer, doesn't it :)

I saw someone on a single ski behind a QB2 nearly 30 years ago. It was
very windy.

--
Regards.
Richard.

does this mean, that technically, i was breaking the law when i used to tow my friends on rollerskates (wheeled recreational vehicle) with my bicycle (moving vehicle)?